Confirmed with Link: Oilers Claim Valentin Zykov

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
Sounds like footspeed is an issue, but he brings the Oilers to only 48 contracts (still flexibility), makes close to league minimum for two years, has a nice career curve, is a one shot scorer (at least AHL level) who is a right shot... hard to complain.

Worst thing that happens is he's nothing and they waive him again.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Scouting Report on Zykov:

Skating
Zykov’s skating is very unorthodox. His hunched-over style means that his top-end speed and acceleration are not as good as they could be. He has improved over the last several years, but there is still work to be done. In particular, his first few strides need improvement, as he needs to be quicker. He does have good agility, and great balance though. A powerful stride and well-developed lower-body allow him to fight through checks and to drive to the front of the net with power. The skating issues have been Zykov’s biggest impediment to date. While he will likely never be known for his skating ability he has worked to minimize this deficiency as much as possible and it should no longer hold him back from an NHL career.
Offensive Game

Zykov is a big forward, who plays with a gritty edge and is developing into a power forward. He goes to the net very hard and knows what to do when he gets there. He has great hands in tight and can make slick moves, tip-in shots, or bury rebounds. A natural goal scorer, Zykov also has a strong wrist shot and quick release. Zykov also works extremely hard in the corners, winning board battles, and playing a gritty, physical game. He is very strong on the puck and protects it extremely well in the cycle game. He uses his body to shield off checkers and is strong on the puck and rarely knocked off of it by contact.
Zykov has improved his playmaking over the years. He finds open teammates out of the cycle game. Zykov uses his ability to control the puck and to extend plays, waiting for teammates to get open. He has very good vision and hockey sense. Zykov finds open teammates when he has the puck. He also knows how to get open and set up for a shot without the puck.
Defensive Game

Zykov is also a hard worker in the defensive zone, using his size and ability to win board battles to help out on the backcheck, and to help his defence contain against the cycle game. He anticipates well, creating turnovers and transitioning to offence.
Outlook

Following his impressive season, it is expected that Zykov will become a full-time NHLer this season. He has the skills to take the next step and has learned all he can learn at the AHL level. The only question that remains is exactly how high in the lineup he will play.

Looks like he has all the tools except Skating seems to be a weak point. But looks like he knows how to produce despite this weakness. Plus, skating is something that can definitely be improved on if he puts in the work. Love this move. Hope this pans out.

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
Really liking this buy low move. Have to give credit to Chia for the pure VOLUME of moves he makes. More bullets in the barrel means we hit the mark eventually.

I don't. that's how we end up with spooner.
firing more bullets gives you a better chance of shooting yourself in the foot.

that being said, this is a good pickup from what I understand.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Interesting we acquire the first piece to that strange sequence of trades that amounted to MacT acquiring 5 picks (83rd-Yakimov, 88th-Slepyshev, 94th-Jackson Houck, 96th-Kyle Platzer and 113th-Aidan Muir) for the pick used on Zykov (37). Interesting that none of those players are with the team anymore (though I guess we still technically have the rights Yakimov and Slephyshev).

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
I don't. that's how we end up with spooner.
firing more bullets gives you a better chance of shooting yourself in the foot.

that being said, this is a good pickup from what I understand.

Don't think the Spooner story is close to being finished yet. I know he's a whipping boy right now, but I like him. Speed and shiftiness, has produced before, just needs to find his groove.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Some draft year scouting on Zykov and his draft rankings:

Pronman:

Zykov was one of this season's biggest surprises. He did not come into the QMJHL as an elite scoring prospect, but he really flourished at Baie-Comeau. He is a skilled player, showing nice touch with the puck. He is able to make plays in tight spaces, flashing high-end skill at times. He can distribute the puck at a quality level, showing quick decision-making, with good offensive instincts. Zykov's intriguing element is his physicality. He is quite strong for a U-18 player, and he is proficient at shielding the puck and driving the net. He works hard, he will backcheck, and he can lay some crushing hits. His skating is an area of concern. A few sources describe him as a good skater, but a few that I trust believe he is clearly below average.

Top Shelf Prospect:

Zykov plays a style reminiscent of Johan Franzen of the Detroit Red Wings. Remember that this is a style comparison only. In terms of potential, its a bit of a boom or bust pick. If he can improve his skating, he can be an invaluable power forward in the NHL. He has the grit, size, and offensive skill necessary to achieve a high level of success, but it will be a bit of a project for an NHL team.

ISS Rank: 16
Craig Button Rank: 37
FC Rank: 19
McKeen's Rank: 32
Pronman Rank: 19
Hockey News Rank: 31
Average Rank: 26

Reactions: oil85

Hopelesslucicfan

Larsson fanclub 2016
Mar 14, 2009
Edmonton
What's the deal with this guy? Only 23, last year had solid AHL numbers and 7 points in 10 NHL games. They just ran out of patience after a slow start this year? Or are there other issues?

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Lets see what he can do. Am guessing that Russell will be sent down.

I hope we see more from Zykov and Rattie. I think we need more scoring.

Reactions: Oilers in NS

russ99

Jun 9, 2011
Don't think the Spooner story is close to being finished yet. I know he's a whipping boy right now, but I like him. Speed and shiftiness, has produced before, just needs to find his groove.

I like him at center more than wing, and he can win faceoffs. He was a bit tentative in the offensive zone yesterday, would rather pass back to the point than try a play, but if we keep him there with consistent linemates and maybe Kassian moved down for Zykov, he should do better.

Don't get why some fans are expecting Spooner to be a quality top 6 winger, other than that one hot streak with the Rangers last year he's not been that.

I think we should also try Lucic-Spooner as a pair if the Identity Line gets broken up later in the year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad