48g90a138pts

Jun 30, 2016
I want Toffoli.

Caggiula-McDavid-Toffoli
Zykov-Draisaitl-Chiasson
Rieder-RNH-Rattie
Lucic-Broziak-Kassian

Possible 1st PP unit: McDavid, Drai, RNH, Toffoli, Klefbom

Pulju goes in a package for Toffoli. If we're deep in the playoff hunt come the TDL, trade our 1st along with Pulju for him.
I'd like those lines quite a bit better.

Adding Toffoli might be nice but I really don't think he's worth a 1st and Puljujarvi. Also he's only got one year left on his contract. Kind of a gamble.

Thank God we don't have the cap room for this deal. ;) I really wonder what the cost of Puljujarvi's next contract is going to be.

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
He won me over pretty early with that beauty pass to Spooner. Good first impression

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
He won me over pretty early with that beauty pass to Spooner. Good first impression

He has the potential to be the new Maroon IMO. Big body with soft hands.

Its very interesting that for both these players their breakout season (30+ goals) in the AHL happened at 22/23 years old. This is a player to watch IMO.

Reactions: walktheboulavard

walktheboulavard

Jul 8, 2016
He has the potential to be the new Maroon IMO. Big body with soft hands.
But faster, displayed good speed on multiple plays. This guy needs to play on a major skill line. I like Pulju and want him to succeed, I appreciate Hitch and the way he has afforded him opportunity to develop in a skill line, but this industry is about results and Zykov looks like he might be better suited to carry and perhaps finish plays better than JP.

Reactions: guymez

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
But faster, displayed good speed on multiple plays. This guy needs to play on a major skill line. I like Pulju and want him to succeed, I appreciate Hitch and the way he has afforded him opportunity to develop in a skill line, but this industry is about results and Zykov looks like he might be better suited to carry and perhaps finish plays better than JP.

I agree...his foot speed is a little better than Maroons. We just need to see if his hockey sense (offensive positioning) is as good. He is older and more polished than Puljujaarvi but (you may have missed my edit) the similarities to Maroon are intriguing to me.

Zykov just needs to prove he can take the next step.

walktheboulavard

Jul 8, 2016
I agree...his foot speed is a little better than Maroons. We just need to see if his hockey sense (offensive positioning) is as good. He is older and more polished than Puljujaarvi but (you may have missed my edit) the similarities to Maroon are intriguing to me.
It seemed really good today, but we'll never know (true capability) until we get him playing with RNH or McDavids right now. He's exactly what they need, a 3rd guy who is strong on the puck and won't make mistakes when the puck is delivered in his wheel house.

Reactions: guymez

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
It seemed really good today, but we'll never know until we get him playing with RNH or McDavids right now. He's exactly what they need, a 3rd guy who is strong on the puck and won't make mistakes when the puck is delivered in his wheel house.

I agree...assuming Zkykov is that guy. Need to see him a little more.

I find it interesting how Hitchs system works so well offensively when all 5 guys are battling deep and no one is cheating for offence. I still think the team is too thin on the wing but a potential middle 6 player like Zykov can really add some additional depth to the roster.

I am intrigued to see if Zykov and Spooner can click. If so then it allows the Oilers to roll 4 solid lines 3 of which have offensive capabilities. Then you can swing players into different situations as needed at which point Zykov gets a chance a little higher up.

walktheboulavard

Jul 8, 2016
I agree...assuming Zkykov is that guy. Need to see him a little more.

I find it interesting how Hitchs system works so well offensively when all 5 guys are battling deep and no one is cheating for offence. I still think the team is too thin on the wing but a potential middle 6 player like Zykov can really add some additional depth to the roster.

I am intrigued to see if Zykov and Spooner can click. If so then it allows the Oilers to roll 4 solid lines 3 of which have offensive capabilities. Then you can swing players into different situations as needed at which point Zykov gets a chance a little higher up.
It's interesting, but so many chances (odd man, breakaways) are blown because we don't have finishers. I don't disagree with the assessment of letting him play on the 3rd line for another game or 2 though. This can be really beneficial, that line has looked more dangerous as it's ever been and he'll get more opportunities to acclimate to a team and new system. However, if he has another game or 2 as strong as today, it's incumbent on Hitch to put him one of line with one of our top 3 centers (Mcdavid, Drai, RNH) to see what we truly have.

Magnum23

Aug 24, 2012
He played good with garbage line mates. Hope he can work his way up the lineup.

If chaisson or Khaira falters give him a shot!

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany

I think it's due to the fact the forwards actually get a running start and are moving up with the puck vs. waiting for it. This means they're actually able to attack with speed and take advantage of bad gap control by opposing defenceman.

Toss in that the defencmen here (most of whom are average passers at best), only need to complete a short pass to break out means that weak point is now covered up.

Look at the Zykov/Spooner chance early in the game. Zykov gets the puck and has space to move up, the defence backs off, and with the backcheckers all caught deep, suddenly he and Spooner have all the time and room in the world to design how they want to attack. If they fly the zone early, the defence are already on top of them and they have less room to work.

It's similar on the RNH goal. Khaira gets space to build up speed, meaning the defence can't collapse down on him. That gap lets him and RNH get a tricky shot off and also have the speed to crash the net.

This isn't a fast team, but TMac seemed to think the solution was to have the puck do all the work. However that just led to pucks traveling long distances to stationals targets that were already covered. Hitch seems to focus on getting the puck to guys with space and letting that break down other teams' defences.

McOvechking

Apr 28, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
I thought Zykov had an excellent game. Made smart plays, was good positionally, and skated better than I expected. I expect to see him work his way up to the top line before long. I think he can do Chiasson's job better. But I'm getting ahead of myself

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
I thought Zykov had an excellent game. Made smart plays, was good positionally, and skated better than I expected. I expect to see him work his way up to the top line before long. I think he can do Chiasson's job better. But I'm getting ahead of myself
I think he has more skill than Chiasson, albeit he probably doesn't have as good of a shot. I also liked his game a lot last night and he looks like he could be a useful player in the top 9. If he can put together another good game or two I hope hope he gets a look in the top 6. I like Chiasson, but I don't think he's a good fit with McDavid. I don't think he has the puck skills to consistently make plays like you have to when you're playing with McDavid. I think he'd be a better fit with Nuge or Spooner where he can play a more simple cycle and crash the net game.

Reactions: Canada Drai

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I think it's due to the fact the forwards actually get a running start and are moving up with the puck vs. waiting for it. This means they're actually able to attack with speed and take advantage of bad gap control by opposing defenceman.

Toss in that the defencmen here (most of whom are average passers at best), only need to complete a short pass to break out means that weak point is now covered up.

Look at the Zykov/Spooner chance early in the game. Zykov gets the puck and has space to move up, the defence backs off, and with the backcheckers all caught deep, suddenly he and Spooner have all the time and room in the world to design how they want to attack. If they fly the zone early, the defence are already on top of them and they have less room to work.

It's similar on the RNH goal. Khaira gets space to build up speed, meaning the defence can't collapse down on him. That gap lets him and RNH get a tricky shot off and also have the speed to crash the net.

This isn't a fast team, but TMac seemed to think the solution was to have the puck do all the work. However that just led to pucks traveling long distances to stationals targets that were already covered. Hitch seems to focus on getting the puck to guys with space and letting that break down other teams' defences.

Good post.
From a distance it would be easy to convince yourself that being responsible defensively would be counter productive to generating offense. Hitchs system clearly limits high danger chances and increases puck possession.
I also like the fact that the team (as you mentioned) has to skate the puck out of their own zone and utilize short passes.
More responsible puck management and much better puck support helps the team retain puck possession.
So much of this is about disruption/puck retrieval and puck possession.
As Hitch says...when you have the puck you have more chances to score.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo

Not sure if this has been posted -- too many pages to wade through to check. But I watched all his 33 goals last year while he was in the AHL (and so can you with the above vid). He has a quick, hard release with his wrister, and is deadly on the PP. I hope he eventually gets a long look on at least the 2nd unit, because that looks to be his natural habitat and thrives there.

Last edited:

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Have to admit... I really like picking up these types of players with some scoring potential in their history but that haven't really broken out... and they've sort of meandered into their mid-20's without showing a lot at the NHL level yet... BUT this is exactly the stage when you should know what you will be getting with a forward.. once they hit that 23-25 age, a lot of development work is behind them and you are picking up a player that's either going to show something soon or you cut them loose if they don't.

I think Aberg was that same category as well.. some offensive potential... some speed.. coming into that make or break mid-20's age with several years of development behind him and obviously his flaw was consistency and being able to turn it up earlier this season to seize a job.

Rattie is pretty much the same story as well... and he looked good in camp but now a somewhat flatter performance obviously... but still worth keeping around.

Maybe looking back Aberg over Rattie would have been the better move... but hindsight is 20-20 as well.

I probably would have had JP in the AHL to start the season and kept Aberg around in October... but Aberg always did have 1 foot in the doghouse I think and really didn't show much in pre-season either so you can't blame coaching 100%... just 80%. :)

Hopefully Zykov can be that Aberg type player now... decent hands, big body and a little less speed but he could potentially be just as effective offensively in the top 9 if he gets an extended opportunity there.

Of course once Caggiula and Rieder (and Sekera on D) are all back on the roster, something will have to give at that point and we'll likely see some roster movement on waivers and down to the AHL... or even a minor trade is a possibility.

Honestly I think Rattie has 1 foot out the door now with Hitchcock in charge and either Garrison or Wideman will find themselves on waivers if no other injuries occur on this roster.

It's actually nice to actually see a little bit of depth on the roster though.. not "great depth" options... but at least there are some decent options there to work players in and out of the lineup without having to resort to clear AHL talent.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Garrison or Wideman gone and Marody back to the AHL and then we'd have a full roster until Sekera returns then another move would need to be made. Personally I would waive Garrison and IMO we are stronger at LD on the farm with Jones and Lagesson than RD until Bear gets back up to speed anyway.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Garrison or Wideman gone and Marody back to the AHL and then we'd have a full roster until Sekera returns then another move would need to be made. Personally I would waive Garrison and IMO we are stronger at LD on the farm with Jones and Lagesson than RD until Bear gets back up to speed anyway.

I know we really haven't seen much from him yet... but I wouldn't mind keeping Wideman around as he has a little offense in his game and would be a decent #7 option in the PB... similar case with Garrison but he's older and I don't know how much he has left in his game.

I'd probably leave Jones/Lagesson/Bear alone in the AHL to further develop because too much up and down probably doesn't help, especially when it leads to press box time.

Like with Marody going up and down a few times... not really doing much for his development as he's not playing when he comes up to the Oilers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->