Oilers claim Matt Fraser

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
I wouldn't be opposed to claiming Paajarvi but I'm pretty sure it would put us at 50 contracts and once Pouliot comes back there would be a bit of a logjam up front.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
Bruins guys seem to think he's got a really good shot, but doesn't have the speed or skating to get himself into position to use it much. Somewhat defensively responsible but not a very good hockey player as a grinder and not quick enough for the top-6.

Damned. That sounds kind of familiar to me.

Haven't we seen this before?

doggone

Nov 4, 2013
Bruins guys seem to think he's got a really good shot, but doesn't have the speed or skating to get himself into position to use it much. Somewhat defensively responsible but not a very good hockey player as a grinder and not quick enough for the top-6.

he will fit right in

Gret99zky

Worst Thread Ever
May 5, 2007
Gamma Quadrant
Once he gets a taste of DFL hockey he will be counting down the days of his current contract like a kid with an advent calendar.

Our condolences, Matt.

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
I still can't get over how obsessed Mactavish is with acquiring wingers. Did the Horcoff trade hurt him so much, that he can no longer bear to bring more centers on the team in case it brings up all those feelings of heartbreak or something?

This **** is straight up irrational.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
MPS would probably make a decent centre... skates well... is decent defensively... plus he's not great offensively so he would fit right in and wouldn't look out of place down the middle on the Oilers.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Pinozotto really screwed the pooch here the last handful of games. Figured a guy like him would do everything humanly possible to stay up in the show. He actually got complacent, stopped answering the bell or ringing it, and forgot why he was here.

Sometimes a tough guy getting a couple goals its the worst thing that can happen to him.

That said would've been nice if the Oil sat him down and told him more about what they required before turfing him. maybe some of that happened, dunno.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
MPS would probably make a decent centre... skates well... is decent defensively... plus he's not great offensively so he would fit right in and wouldn't look out of place down the middle on the Oilers.

Oh, never mind, took a few seconds for my sarcasm radar to kick in.

Paajarvi pt 2 lol. Who cares, why not?

If anything makes it look like its official and confirmed that Mact made one good deal anyway.

Not sure what Blues were ever thinking with Magnus.

SPIRIT

Mar 12, 2014
Oh, never mind, took a few seconds for my sarcasm radar to kick in.

Paajarvi pt 2 lol. Who cares, why not?

If anything makes it look like its official and confirmed that Mact made one good deal anyway.

Not sure what Blues were ever thinking with Magnus.

He had an exciting rookie year... but you're right, they targeted him!

Whoops.

I'd pick him up if I'm Edmonton. Absolutely.

Jun 9, 2011
He had an exciting rookie year... but you're right, they targeted him!

Whoops.

I'd pick him up if I'm Edmonton. Absolutely.
I really liked Paajarvi. But let's move on. He didn't work out here. Is anyone seeing something in coaching/management that makes them think Paajarvi will work this time 'round?
These moves just look like distractions to me. Filling up contract spots and depleting cap space. ho hum.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
The Oilers picked up a young player that has a world class wrist shot and jettisoned an over the hill NHL/AHL tweener in Pinnozoto.

Sure Fraser has some warts but this move has plenty of potential upside for little to no cost.

Tough not to like this deal especially when you consider that Fraser will get more and better minutes on this team than he did on the Bruins.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Normally I'd agree wholeheartedly, but after watching Colin Fraser, and Will Acton drop the gloves, and get obliterated every single time...I don't know man. :laugh:

You just had to remind me didn't you? What next? Bringing up Stortini!?!?! :rant: :laugh:

All joking aside, claim Paajarvi and Hackett and waive Fasth. Then deal Perron or Purcell. I'd like to see a Paajarvi-Draisaitl-Yakupov line.

Cerebral

Aug 4, 2003
Calgary, Alberta
Fraser might end up being one of those tweeners who can't find a way to translate his offence at the NHL level. However, there is no denying he has some potential and if all it cost us is Pinizzotto, this is a good move. Fraser managed to score 37 goals in the AHL as a 21 year old which is pretty impressive.

Even with 3 goals in 24 games in only 10 minutes a night, he's on pace to score 10 goals which is more than most of our depth guys. If he can emerge as a 4th liner with size who can score a few goals, this will work out well.

McDeathbyCheerios*

Fraser might end up being one of those tweeners who can't find a way to translate his offence at the NHL level. However, there is no denying he has some potential and if all it cost us is Pinizzotto, this is a good move. Fraser managed to score 37 goals in the AHL as a 21 year old which is pretty impressive.

Even with 3 goals in 24 games in only 10 minutes a night, he's on pace to score 10 goals which is more than most of our depth guys. If he can emerge as a 4th liner with size who can score a few goals, this will work out well.
That's the same pace as Yak I think....

It gives us a solid 4th line... But that line has been our best... It's not the problem

McShiva

5-14-6-1
Aug 27, 2010
Don't mind this pickup, or Roy either. At the least, the team has improved, even if it is a little bit. Take what you can get as a Oiler fan.

As to Fraser, well, this is a very low cost, high reward type thing. Just a contract space, and he may work out pretty well. Seems like a good player, better than what we replaced, and may score a few more goals. Skating is a big issue, but everything else seems to be a bit better. Boston fans seem sad he's gone as well.

Reminds me of when we picked up Jones off of waivers, and got a few good years out of him.

Tekneek

Nov 28, 2004
Pinozotto really screwed the pooch here the last handful of games. Figured a guy like him would do everything humanly possible to stay up in the show. He actually got complacent, stopped answering the bell or ringing it, and forgot why he was here.

Perhaps he was unable to sustain that intensity he had early on. Once that was lost, the reality of where he falls in the depth chart became very clear.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
All players named Fraser stink and we go after them all it seems. What is this #3 or #4 for us?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad