Oilers claim Matt Fraser

phrenssoa

Nov 21, 2014
Winnipeg
Anyone else think this guy becomes the next Ryan Jones? Would be nice to have another guy who can score 15 goals on the third line.

coolwasabi

Dec 18, 2005
Vancouver, Canada
Anyone else think this guy becomes the next Ryan Jones? Would be nice to have another guy who can score 15 goals on the third line.
Ryan Jones was mostly awful and personifies what's been wrong with this team for the last 8 years: lack of balance. Sure he scored a few goals and looked like he was working his ass off (to his credit, I'm sure he was), but he was not an effective player for us. He gave up more than he gave and didn't make our team harder to play against.

Needless to say, hopefully Fraser is more than a Ryan Jones.

phrenssoa

Nov 21, 2014
Winnipeg
Ryan Jones was mostly awful and personifies what's been wrong with this team for the last 8 years: lack of balance. Sure he scored a few goals and looked like he was working his ass off (to his credit, I'm sure he was), but he was not an effective player for us. He gave up more than he gave and didn't make our team harder to play against.

I disagree. Jones was a good third-liner for a couple of years.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004

Yup...I was never really a Jones fan. He was a cherry picker and couldn't play a lick of defence. Not a bad energy player at times but thats about it.
Hopefully Fraser is much more than Jones ever was.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
I disagree. Jones was a good third-liner for a couple of years.

On a horrible team...

Jones wasn't gritty, poor defensively and his shooting percentage was through the roof

I want my 3rd liners to be able to play a crash and bang style and be able to keep other top lines in check...Jones was none of that

McLotto 97

Believe in 13.5%
Mar 14, 2011
Edmonton
People need to remember Jones Pre eye injury. He played a pretty good third line roll and tossed in some secondary scoring. Post injury he was garbage.

Fraser can fill this roll but I would have rather called up IIRO the Hero from OKC. Very good slap shot plays with intensity Maybe our boom from the point on PP

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
Lol... Ryan Jones. Matt Fraser isn't even worth his jockstrap pre or post eye injury.

Rather have an AHLer in his spot.

Horseradish

Dec 9, 2005
London, ON
I certainly preferred Paajarvi back at the time, and this healthy scratch only really serves to reinforce that belief.

Sometimes it takes time for a guy to get accustomed, so I'll give Fraser that. But it's not just that he's been quiet on the box scores, his play has been uninspired and underwhelming to boot. You'd think a tweener who got waived by his former team would be interested in proving himself. Roy certainly is. Klinkhammer on his third team this season definitely is. Fraser? Crickets.

Crabapple

Jun 17, 2010
Edmonton
Agreed on peoples opinions on Ryan Jones. He was not an effective 3rd liner. He didn't have the skill to be a top-6er but he played like he did. He was quick and able to get breakaways, but couldn't pot them. Matt Fraser plays similar

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Agreed on peoples opinions on Ryan Jones. He was not an effective 3rd liner. He didn't have the skill to be a top-6er but he played like he did. He was quick and able to get breakaways, but couldn't pot them. Matt Fraser plays similar

I would say that Jones is a better skater then Fraser.

bolobow

May 3, 2006
I'm glad he got a couple goals last night, but holy hell I didn't realize he hasn't had a single point since January. What did MacT see in this guy?

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I'm glad he got a couple goals last night, but holy hell I didn't realize he hasn't had a single point since January. What did MacT see in this guy?

Role players on good teams tend to get overrated. Plus he's still young and has a big shot. He was free and cheap, I don't know that they sign/qualify him this offseason.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
Yes, agreed, Jones did look very good for a couple years. He was a useful guy to have. coolwasabi, I think your memory is short on that one.

He was on a role until that very serious eye injury. After that he was never the same. :shakehead

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
Yup...I was never really a Jones fan. He was a cherry picker and couldn't play a lick of defence. Not a bad energy player at times but thats about it.
Hopefully Fraser is much more than Jones ever was.

that's how I remember him playing; he got some goals, but he cheated for offense. If Fraser is as good as Jones, and can make this lineup.... well.... who's the top 17 year old right now?

Here's hoping Mact can find better options then Matt Fraser.

bolobow

May 3, 2006
Role players on good teams tend to get overrated. Plus he's still young and has a big shot. He was free and cheap, I don't know that they sign/qualify him this offseason.

Ended up losing Arco cause of the contract cap tho (Fraser + Roy - Arco). Which two of those three would you rather have?

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
How is that possible? He had 7 points as an oiler going into last night. Did we even get him in January?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad