Post-Game Talk: Oilers choke

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
This is hyperbole though. You act as if being tied 3-3 means that the Oilers no longer had a chance to win this game.

Why not blame Yamamoto for putting us down 5 on 3 with his dumb penalty, which resulted in the Blackhawks taking a 2-1 lead then?

Actually I said the exact opposite. They didn't fold after the GTG.

Doesn't change the fact that Sheahan still cost us the lead and the game.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
I'm not sure I agree. The Hawks had like 5 SOG before Sheahan screwed up. The Oilers were playing textbook defend the lead hockey, you see every other team do it in the playoffs. Puck was consistently being moved out of the zone, Hawks were getting no sustained pressure.

They seem to always f*** that somehow which is why I say they don't have the horses. Whether it's a bad bounce, a bad giveaway or an own gial, they find a way to shoot themselves in the foot. They did that twice in a matter of minutes last night.

Wash, rinse, frequently repeat.

Reactions: Cloned

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
This is hyperbole though. You act as if being tied 3-3 means that the Oilers no longer had a chance to win this game.

Why not blame Yamamoto for putting us down 5 on 3 with his dumb penalty, which resulted in the Blackhawks taking a 2-1 lead then?

That was a phantom holding penalty on Russell, was it not?

replacement

Oct 20, 2018
Throughout the game, the Oilers have a tendency to - and only the players and coaches know which it really is - get either too nervous, or to casual. You can see it in the powerplay. When McDavid is telegraphing his passes, and just puts the puck right on to a Hawks stick. When Draisaitl can't handle a routine entry pass from RNH, bobbles it.

In the last minute, McDavid with speed up the wing, he drops it without looking to a guy outside the zone. And it's not just those guys, it's all over the lineup. Nurse icing the puck multiple times for no reason. AA going 'controller disconnected' after getting a great neutral zone pass from Drai.

People want to talk about one guy making one bad play. But it only gets to that point because of numerous unforced errors. It was this way last season, it was this way the last time the Oilers played in the playoffs, and it will be this way until the team learns to - as Mike Babcock used to put it - "leave no doubt".

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
That was probably one of the most devastating moments for me as an Oilers fan. Just everything combined it was crushing to see them lose that way. I felt like they didn’t play bad but didn’t do enough with their opportunities after fighting through some bad penalties and some ticky tac calls in the 2nd. Then two bad bounces right at the end and it’s over just like that.
It just doesn’t seem likely to me that after a loss like that, this team has what it takes to win two straight.

It’s funny that the team finally puts together a decent season and this happens and they go from 2nd in div, 9th in league and a playoff lock to having to play in this joke just to get in. Getting shafted by Dallas for that 4th spot and having to come back from a 4 month break to face a dangerous Hawks team that really had nothing to lose. They sold off at the tdl, stocked their picks and then get a free playoff lottery ticket after being a bottom 5 team basically all year long. No pressure at all, lose and you get a 1/8 chance at 1st overall and at worst still end up picking in your range, win and you get a playoff appearance and still end up with a decent pick.

We definitely ended up with the worst hand of any team, outside of maybe Pittsburgh who are basically in the same boat. And to add to the insult the league goes and hands that 3rd to Calgary.

I honestly hope that a team like Oilers, Pens, Leafs land the 1st overall just to embarrass the league and piss everyone off. That would be good karma for them after shoehorning undeserving teams into these qualifiers at the expense of teams that actually spent months putting themselves into playoff positions.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
Actually I said the exact opposite. They didn't fold after the GTG.

Doesn't change the fact that Sheahan still cost us the lead and the game.
You really believe that losing a lead is the same as losing a game?

Like, Sheahan's mistake resulted in a tie game. Yamamoto's penalty causing a 5 on 3 resulted in the team going down a goal. How can you say one is worse than the other? If Yamo doesn't take that penalty, Toews doesn't score that goal, and Edmonton goes up 3-1 in the second instead of 3-2, and Sheahan's mistake results in the game being 3-2 and Bears results in a 3-3 tie to OT instead of a 4-3 loss in regulation.

You can't say the bad doesn't happen without Sheahan and ignore the bad that came before it which resulted in a worse outcome.

McOilers97

Jan 10, 2012
Throughout the game, the Oilers have a tendency to - and only the players and coaches know which it really is - get either too nervous, or to casual. You can see it in the powerplay. When McDavid is telegraphing his passes, and just puts the puck right on to a Hawks stick. When Draisaitl can't handle a routine entry pass from RNH, bobbles it.

In the last minute, McDavid with speed up the wing, he drops it without looking to a guy outside the zone. And it's not just those guys, it's all over the lineup. Nurse icing the puck multiple times for no reason. AA going 'controller disconnected' after getting a great neutral zone pass from Drai.

People want to talk about one guy making one bad play. But it only gets to that point because of numerous unforced errors. It was this way last season, it was this way the last time the Oilers played in the playoffs, and it will be this way until the team learns to - as Mike Babcock used to put it - "leave no doubt".

I see it this way as well. Make dozens and dozens of errors, eventually one of them will turn into a goal against - it's pretty much random as to which player(s) makes the error(s) that ultimately bite the team in the ass. Which player is at fault is entirely beside the point when everyone is f***ing up on a regular basis.

Patch101

Feb 27, 2002
Kamloops
That was probably one of the most devastating moments for me as an Oilers fan. Just everything combined it was crushing to see them lose that way. I felt like they didn’t play bad but didn’t do enough with their opportunities after fighting through some bad penalties and some ticky tac calls in the 2nd. Then two bad bounces right at the end and it’s over just like that.
It just doesn’t seem likely to me that after a loss like that, this team has what it takes to win two straight.

It’s funny that the team finally puts together a decent season and this happens and they go from 2nd in div, 9th in league and a playoff lock to having to play in this joke just to get in. Getting shafted by Dallas for that 4th spot and having to come back from a 4 month break to face a dangerous Hawks team that really had nothing to lose. They sold off at the tdl, stocked their picks and then get a free playoff lottery ticket after being a bottom 5 team basically all year long. No pressure at all, lose and you get a 1/8 chance at 1st overall and at worst still end up picking in your range, win and you get a playoff appearance and still end up with a decent pick.

We definitely ended up with the worst hand of any team, outside of maybe Pittsburgh who are basically in the same boat. And to add to the insult the league goes and hands that 3rd to Calgary.

I honestly hope that a team like Oilers, Pens, Leafs land the 1st overall just to embarrass the league and piss everyone off. That would be good karma for them after shoehorning undeserving teams into these qualifiers at the expense of teams that actually spent months putting themselves into playoff positions.

Definitely not devastating for me, disappointing, but I suppose that depends on how long you've endured the pain of being a fan haha.

Honestly, 2006 finals hurt ... a lot .... and 2017 has some hardcore feelings too, but there was plenty of other times through Dallas/Edm series that upset me too.
1991 was disappointing too ....

Reactions: Oilhawks

McOilers97

Jan 10, 2012

Like, Sheahan's mistake resulted in a tie game. Yamamoto's penalty causing a 5 on 3 resulted in the team going down a goal. How can you say one is worse than the other? If Yamo doesn't take that penalty, Toews doesn't score that goal, and Edmonton goes up 3-1 in the second instead of 3-2, and Sheahan's mistake results in the game being 3-2 and Bears results in a 3-3 tie to OT instead of a 4-3 loss in regulation.

You can't say the bad doesn't happen without Sheahan and ignore the bad that came before it which resulted in a worse outcome.

If the two things had happened in the reverse order, you can bet he'd then blame Yamamoto for the penalties, and say nothing about Sheahan.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003

The other players at least contribute positively in other areas. If you're Riley Sheahan and your only job is to be a reliable defensive center who plays 10 minutes of low event hockey every game, you absolutely cannot be making that kind of play in that situation at that time during the game. It was a critical play that cost them the game.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Lots of penalties eventually sucked the life out of us, but man, a couple of them were pretty iffy, if not at all. Was waiting for a couple of instructed employees to come down from the stands and throw some cups with beer in them on the ice to protest and try to "keep it real" for the players.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
If the two things had happened in the reverse order, you can bet he'd then blame Yamamoto for the penalties, and say nothing about Sheahan.

Not really. I blamed Smith for Game 1 despite him having no chance on all the goals EXCEPT the one where he misplayed the puck and let in to tie the game at 1 in the first period. It's about critical errors at critical points of the game.

McOilers97

Jan 10, 2012
Not really. I blamed Smith for Game 1 despite him having no chance on all the goals EXCEPT the one where he misplayed the puck and let in to tie the game at 1 in the first period. It's about critical errors at critical points of the game.

But initial mistakes happen often in a defensive zone setting. If the other guys on the ice are locked in, they do their job properly and the team can get out of it without any damage. So to excuse Kassian for his role on goal 3 is insane. It’s not Sheahan’s fault, it’s Sheahan and Kassian both, and Sheahan isn’t more at fault just because his mistake came first. It’s a team sport, and every player on the ice is going to have a tough moment - the ones that result in goals against more often are when the rest of the team doesn’t respond adequately. It’s not like Sheahan coughed up the puck for a breakaway or something - the situation wasn’t dire when the Blackhawks got the puck back if everyone else does their job.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
The other players at least contribute positively in other areas. If you're Riley Sheahan and your only job is to be a reliable defensive center who plays 10 minutes of low event hockey every game, you absolutely cannot be making that kind of play in that situation at that time during the game. It was a critical play that cost them the game.
As far as I can tell the whole team owed the PK units a beer as they're the reason Edmonton was even in the game at all. Sheahan is a part of that. I also agree that sure it was a critical play, and if we were in the playoffs right after the season ended and guys were firing on all cylinders I might be less inclined to be forgiving. But given the huge layoff and jump right into super intense post season I just can't take one single mistake that didn't even put the team down and point to it as the reason for losing especially when the player who made it helped prevent PP goals for almost an entire period.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Being "unlucky" that his gaffe resulted in a goal against doesn't absolve him of the blame.
but he's not solely to blame is the point

that kind of gaffe happens all the time in every single game...4 other players and the goalie had a chance to prevent that goal from going in...instead, no one blocked the shot and it gets tipped in

Reactions: TB12

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
Definitely not devastating for me, disappointing, but I suppose that depends on how long you've endured the pain of being a fan haha.

Honestly, 2006 finals hurt ... a lot .... and 2017 has some hardcore feelings too, but there was plenty of other times through Dallas/Edm series that upset me too.
1991 was disappointing too ....

I’m in my 30’s so I really started following the team closely since about 98-99 and during that time it’s been mostly disappointment and the times where good does happen it always ends in the most crushing fashion. But I mean the constant losing to Dallas in the late 90’s early 2000’s then the miracle run in 06 which ending with the goalie getting hurt and still taking it right to the wire, followed by one of the catalyst players of the run demanding out and going off to win a cup with a division rival. Then the dark years where all we had to celebrate was mediocre to poor 1st overalls until finally lucking out with McDavid, finally returning to the playoffs only to lose the way we did to the Ducks. Then this year the team finally seems to be turning it around putting themselves into a good spot and this freak show happens.

It’s been a build up of disappointment and it always seems to happen in crushing fashion which makes it even tougher. I would of much rathered another 22-24 spot finish this year like the past few years and being on of the teams sneaking in on a technicality but instead fate has us finish dead smack in the one spot where you get the most screwed, the second highest winning percentage of all play in teams but just barely not enough to get a spot that you already owned based on points.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad