Post-Game Talk: Oilers choke

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Yikes. We need a top 30 d-man and a top 30 goalie.
Not sure how koski can be blamed for most of the goals he let in.
Lame Toews shot on 2/man adv. 2/deflections etc were not his fault. His mistakes were covered by the post last night.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I learned today that we lost this game in the third. Because we took penalties in the second.

We allowed 2 goals in the third because we took penalties in the second

Last edited:

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Someone on the mains posted that the lottery already took place and that the winner is the loser of the Chicago-Edmonton series.

lol.

The NHL as an org couldn't organize a piss up in a brewery so I always laugh when I hear conspiracy theories about them rigging this or that.

Reactions: Samus44

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
What players say publicly and what they think privately are two different things. Can you tell me with confidence that not one single player on the Oilers is thinking (or thought) about the play that Sheahan made?

It’s pro sports. Defining moments happen. Blaming every loss on the entire team is the politically correct and cliche way to do it because it’s a “team sport.” But sometimes one play made by one player defines the game, win or lose.
Not more than what Bear did. Or Koski or Nurse.
I am sure no one in the room is blaming Sheahan more than Bear.

Draisaitl made the most number of unforced errors and bad passes. Worst faceoff loss in the GWG for CHI goest to Drai as well.

Reactions: harpoon

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
It's loser thinking. To scapegoat a teammate especially in a game and situation where there a ton of failed moments and poor decisions that collectively led to the loss. The difference to athletes is that they're in the games and the lockerrooms and play collectively to win games. I think that has been a great strength of Tippett in building a sense of team, brotherhood and resiliency. Pro athletes take mistakes in stride, knowing their own play isn't perfect, and why we get the cliche about parking a game and looking ahead. Anyone pro athlete in a team sport that outs a teammate and scapegoats those he or she goes into battle with will not survive long. There is no infallible athlete or person. Play as a team, win or lose as a team. Simple but fundamental premise if you're going to play a team sport. But essential when you are an elite athlete. Loser thinking won't cut it when you've beat Darwinism, and the thousands upon thousands that play said team sport, to make it to the peak.

EDIT: on the play you've fixated on, we see how awful Ethan Bear feels at his own accountability on the fluke goal given up. He's got two reasons to be pissed at himself. Shit happens, bad breakdowns on several fronts. But hardly defining on a sloppy, penalty filled game which had many turning points.

I remember reading that Gretzky got pissed at Darryl Sydor in the locker room once for deflecting a puck into his own net in the SCF. It happens.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I guess Wayne isn't infallible.

Actually I got the story wrong. He yelled at McSorley for using an illegal stick.

Anyway my point is that yes, players do blame other players sometimes. It happens, sometimes even moreso with elite players because they have higher standards for winning.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Me too, so let it slide instead of making insinuations and assumptions.

Time heals all wounds. I have learned to forgive MAB and Ty Conklin. I’m sure I’ll learn to forgive Sheahan in time, but not today.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Actually I got the story wrong. He yelled at McSorley for using an illegal stick.

Anyway my point is that yes, players do blame other players sometimes. It happens, sometimes even moreso with elite players because they have higher standards for winning.

An illegal stick you can control whether to use or not. Very different than a very dynamic play on the ice especially one in which multiple mistakes were made.

Reactions: harpoon

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
An illegal stick you can control whether to use or not. Very different than a very dynamic play on the ice especially one in which multiple mistakes were made.

I mean technically you can argue the players could have killed off that illegal stick penalty. So yes, technically it’s not solely on McSorley. But sometimes the defining mistake is the one that’s most responsible for the loss. It’s OK in some circumstances to assign praise or blame to specific players; some wins and losses are largely caused by one specific play in one critical moment.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
I'm not overly surprised. I thought they'd walk through Minny. Seemed like Minny was really interested in the return to play.

On a side note there I read that Minny has no 5 on 5 goals out of their 6.

Minny looks worse than the Hawks. Their D is reasonable but goaltending is meh, and I can't think of a forward that's much of a threat to score outside of Fiala.

Reactions: joestevens29

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
I mean technically you can argue the players could have killed off that illegal stick penalty. So yes, technically it’s not solely on McSorley. But sometimes the defining mistake is the one that’s most responsible for the loss. It’s OK in some circumstances to assign praise or blame to specific players; some wins and losses are largely caused by one specific play in one critical moment.

No technically. McSorley is responsible for his equipment. He put himself over his team choosing to play with illegal equipment. Cheezy call by Le Canadien but the rules are the rules and despite common practise, in one of the biggest games of his career, McSorley slipped up. But this was totally in his control.

Patch101

Feb 27, 2002
Kamloops
I’m in my 30’s so I really started following the team closely since about 98-99 and during that time it’s been mostly disappointment and the times where good does happen it always ends in the most crushing fashion. But I mean the constant losing to Dallas in the late 90’s early 2000’s then the miracle run in 06 which ending with the goalie getting hurt and still taking it right to the wire, followed by one of the catalyst players of the run demanding out and going off to win a cup with a division rival. Then the dark years where all we had to celebrate was mediocre to poor 1st overalls until finally lucking out with McDavid, finally returning to the playoffs only to lose the way we did to the Ducks. Then this year the team finally seems to be turning it around putting themselves into a good spot and this freak show happens.

It’s been a build up of disappointment and it always seems to happen in crushing fashion which makes it even tougher. I would of much rathered another 22-24 spot finish this year like the past few years and being on of the teams sneaking in on a technicality but instead fate has us finish dead smack in the one spot where you get the most screwed, the second highest winning percentage of all play in teams but just barely not enough to get a spot that you already owned based on points.

Fair enough, I'm in my 40's and I remember the 88 and 90 cup pretty well which has grounded me to this team for life.
Ever since Glen Sather left things have been rough with some cool highlights but still ... more or less rough

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
I learned today that we lost this game in the third. Because we took penalties in the second.

We allowed 2 goals in the third because we took penalties in the second
Goalies wear down. defense wears down. momentum is never gained . flow is lost.
We lost because we didnt get enough hits in nor scored enough goals ۔

Parade to penalty box was indeed a factor.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad