Post-Game Talk: Oilers choke

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
No technically. McSorley is responsible for his equipment. He put himself over his team choosing to play with illegal equipment. Cheezy call by Le Canadien but the rules are the rules and despite common practise, in one of the biggest games of his career, McSorley slipped up. But this was totally in his control.

Sheahan is responsible for his body position. It was a poor play by him which unfortunately completely changed the outcome of the game. Being unfortunate does not absolve him of responsibility on the play.

He knows it too and has probably already owned up to it.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Sheahan is responsible for his body position. It was a poor play by him which unfortunately completely changed the outcome of the game. Being unfortunate does not absolve him of responsibility on the play.

Do you complain everytime a NHL player cuts off the wall like Sheahan does to get control of the puck and it works? Like it does 90% of the time.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Do you complain everytime a NHL player cuts off the wall like Sheahan does to get control of the puck and it works? Like it does 90% of the time.
He did the back against the boards thing like he was trying to seal the wall. On a clearing attempt by his own teammate in the defensive zone.

The safer play was for him to face the puck with his back facing the blue line, corral the puck, and either eat it on the boards or cut out from the boards once he had control of the puck.

Or he could’ve just let the puck go.

His actual play was literally the worst possible outcome in that situation.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver

His situation was one of a series of events that went wrong on the play. Handling or not handling an 80 MHP shot ringing around the boards is not a perfect science. Pulling this event out of a continuum of real time events where players were responsible including how the puck actually went in the net is selective and falsely scapegoats. In part what makes this game so amazing is the athleticism to play at speeds of 20+ MPH and deal with a frozen piece of rubber whistling around at speeds often in excess of 100 MPH. The reaction time involved is nano seconds. We saw a series of actions by many players that broke down and then flubbed a goal for Chicago. Oil had a tied game and let it slip away late.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
His situation was one of a series of events that went wrong on the play. Handling or not handling an 80 MHP shot ringing around the boards is not a perfect science. Pulling this event out of a continuum of real time events where players were responsible including how the puck actually went in the net is selective and falsely scapegoats. In part what makes this game so amazing is the athleticism to play at speeds of 20+ MPH and deal with a frozen piece of rubber whistling around at speeds often in excess of 100 MPH. The reaction time involved is nano seconds. We saw a series of actions by many players that broke down and then flubbed a goal for Chicago. Oil had a tied game and let it slip away late.

But it was the critical mistake in the entire chain of events.

He could’ve positioned his body better or let the puck go. What he did was the worst possible thing given the circumstances.

Going back to the Buckner example, if we were to assign blame, how much do we place on the pitcher for his pitch sequence to Wilson? How much credit do we give Wilson for putting the ball in play? How much blame do we place on the players that gave up the previous runs? Maybe a bit here and a bit there, but the defining mistake is still Buckner’s.

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010
I wanted to wait till this morning as last night was too emotional. As soon as Sheahan touched that puck I swore out loud, prior to the goal. That was just...you cannot make a mistake like that.

I think what is most disappointing to me is that we should be forcing our will and size difference and still have not done it yet. In three games we maybe have 2-3 good hits (not counting the Yamamoto mistake) that have affected the play. Can we not hit the Blackhawks? Are they just "that" good in the defensive zone? Our penalties are all holding, interference. None of the penalties we took (exception: Yama) were due to an over-aggressive hit.

As many others have stated, I think we win game 4. And we win in a way that looks like we're in control (3 pp goals/lots of shots on net) and then we'll be schooled in Game 5. I really hope I'm wrong, but I see a game 5 as 3-1 Hawks with an empty net, while the team looks puzzled as to why they could not be "prepared" for a game 5, or that they couldn't "push through" the mighty Blackhawks checking.

This feels like the 2006 finals again. Big win in Game 6, nothing in game 7.

Could still be the emotion from last night, but that was so disappointing.

with the sheer volume of penalties being called guys are probably scared of throwing a hit and giving the Hawks a PP

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
but he's not solely to blame is the point

that kind of gaffe happens all the time in every single game...4 other players and the goalie had a chance to prevent that goal from going in...instead, no one blocked the shot and it gets tipped in

I’d agree if that’s all Sheahan did, but the wide open player who tipped it in was his man too.

I don’t know why he chose to pressure the left point when RNH was already there.

Reactions: Cloned

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
But it was the critical mistake in the entire chain of events.

He could’ve positioned his body better or let the puck go. What he did was the worst possible thing given the circumstances.

Going back to the Buckner example, if we were to assign blame, how much do we place on the pitcher for his pitch sequence to Wilson? How much credit do we give Wilson for putting the ball in play? How much blame do we place on the players that gave up the previous runs? Maybe a bit here and a bit there, but the defining mistake is still Buckner’s.

First premise, I don't necessarily believe it was this goal that lost the game last night. And I'd probably place more onus on the direct action that put the fluke goal into the net. Forwards failing to cover the dmen was also a huge issue last night.

Regarding Buckner, I think was fundamentally a strategic error by Red Sox McNamara who chose not to replace an injured Buckner with a late innings replacement. This was their regular strategy and one that was entirely controllable in that it could have been made to start the inning or at any point within while the Mets were at-bat. The pitcher Schiraldi did his job inducing a slow infield roller to the first baseman. Buckner's misfortune was preventable but the manager - a great guy by all accounts - deviated from the strategy to mitigate a hurt, so so fielding first baseman.

Hockey by nature is more chaotic with many variables that can contribute to a breakdown or goal. It is also a game that is so different to watch from different vantage points. From our couches and with benefit of replay we can easily see a play develop and breakdown what is happening aided by commentators. Live viewings from the upper seats are great for watching the play develop and we can easily follow the play. Watching rinkside is entirely different and is a far more reactive experience. We see how fast these players are, how heavy the hitting is, and how hard shots are, but the speed is so fast and vantage point so close, it is really challenging to see the play develop that comes with some distance removed from the action. Sheahan's reaction time to pick up and react to Bear's situation of trying to clear the zone is happening in seconds or possibly nano-seconds. He did what he was trained to do - present himself as an outlet option, have his head up and looking forward and across to gage what to do with an outlet pass. The puck at speed rings around the boards (never a 100% precision activity) that unfortunately farts out into the Oil zone and turns over. Followed by additional breakdowns, good fortune for Chitown and in the Oil net.

I don't accept the argument that this one micro-event lost the game with the volume of mistakes made, penalties taken, and frankly luck that landed last night for Team Hawks.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
First premise, I don't necessarily believe it was this goal that lost the game last night. And I'd probably place more onus on the direct action that put the fluke goal into the net. Forwards failing to cover the dmen was also a huge issue last night.

Regarding Buckner, I think was fundamentally a strategic error by Red Sox McNamara who chose not to replace an injured Buckner with a late innings replacement. This was their regular strategy and one that was entirely controllable in that it could have been made to start the inning or at any point within while the Mets were at-bat. The pitcher Schiraldi did his job inducing a slow infield roller to the first baseman. Buckner's misfortune was preventable but the manager - a great guy by all accounts - deviated from the strategy to mitigate a hurt, so so fielding first baseman.

Hockey by nature is more chaotic with many variables that can contribute to a breakdown or goal. It is also a game that is so different to watch from different vantage points. From our couches and with benefit of replay we can easily see a play develop and breakdown what is happening aided by commentators. Live viewings from the upper seats are great for watching the play develop and we can easily follow the play. Watching rinkside is entirely different and is a far more reactive experience. We see how fast these players are, how heavy the hitting is, and how hard shots are, but the speed is so fast and vantage point so close, it is really challenging to see the play develop that comes with some distance removed from the action. Sheahan's reaction time to pick up and react to Bear's situation of trying to clear the zone is happening in seconds or possibly nano-seconds. He did what he was trained to do - present himself as an outlet option, have his head up and looking forward and across to gage what to do with an outlet pass. The puck at speed rings around the boards (never a 100% precision activity) that unfortunately farts out into the Oil zone and turns over. Followed by additional breakdowns, good fortune for Chitown and in the Oil net.

I don't accept the argument that this one micro-event lost the game with the volume of mistakes made, penalties taken, and frankly luck that landed last night for Team Hawks.

I disagree. But we aren’t going to change each other’s minds, so I think we should probably drop it. :)

space321

May 11, 2011
Riley Sheahan. Caphit 900K

jebus guys. This is a fill player. Cheapest available in the league. were paying him bottom money. If hes ever off the 4th line he's probably serving more than what were paying. I mean I don't think he's been much towards end of season or playoffs but lets not act like he's anything but easily replaced fill. We'll maybe be rid of Sheahan. We're stuck with guys like Kass, playing the same lines, and being equally bad, making 3.3 longterm.

You'll hate that contract.

That wasn't a slight at Sheahan this time, I legit was confused.

Also, I hated Kassian's contract from day 1 lol. We could get two players better than Kassian for his combined cap hit probably.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
I just re-watched it multiple times again and all I see is the puck bouncing off his skate into the middle of the ice. What is "head-scratchingly stupid" about that? All I see is bad luck.
Yeah, Cloned can make another 53 posts about the play and it still won’t be as bad as he thinks it is. The play that cost the team the chance to regroup and play OT was Ethan Bear waving his stick at a puck five feet in front of his goalie. That’s a play you just never make no matter what - especially in a tie game with a minute and change left. And I say that as one of Bear’s biggest fans on this board who has believed in this kid since five years ago.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
The Oilers were scared of making any contact after taking all those penalties in a row. The referees took the Oilers out of the game.
Guys on all teams are making mistakes in routine plays all over the league.

I've seen Patrick Kane bobble and lose more pucks and passes in the last 3 games than I think I've ever seen from him.

Guys are rusty as hell trying to go from 0-100, no hockey for 4 months to playoff intensity games at the drop of a hat. No matter how badly people want everyone to be dialed in and not making errors, the simple fact of the matter is this is basically the preseason with ridiculously high stakes, and we wouldn't be sitting here dissecting one half a second play in an entire game trying to pin an entire loss on one guy during any other preseason. I feel like people are implying normal hockey expectations on a completely abnormal setup.

Edit: I'm stoned and butchered English with this original post. Sorry.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Yeah, Cloned can make another 53 posts about the play and it still won’t be as bad as he thinks it is. The play that cost the team the chance to regroup and play OT was Ethan Bear waving his stick at a puck five feet in front of his goalie. That’s a play you just never make no matter what - especially in a tie game with a minute and change left. And I say that as one of Bear’s biggest fans on this board who has believed in this kid since five years ago.
What if I make 54 posts? :sarcasm:

Reactions: Not Canada Drai

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
What if I make 54 posts? :sarcasm:
I was being generous with the 53, I think there have been more. Whatever man, you are obviously a passionate fan who took a big kick to the nads last night. I think you’re focusing on the wrong thing, but I know we’ve all been there on that score as well. Rail on sir ... I’ll take it over super girl posts all day every day. ;)

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I was being generous with the 53, I think there have been more. Whatever man, you are obviously a passionate fan who took a big kick to the nads last night. I think you’re focusing on the wrong thing, but I know we’ve all been there on that score as well. Rail on sir ... I’ll take it over super girl posts all day every day. ;)

There's probably more of both coming. ;)

Reactions: GOilers88

Wen22

May 28, 2006
Edmonton
I'll need someone to add the paper bags, I'm in Jasper and away from the computer. Lol
Will be missing the next game so hopefully they win

Reactions: Cloned

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014
the game was tied when Buckner made the error, meaning a pitcher blew the Red Sox lead...it's way before my time but who's the pitcher that gave up the lead?

point is, no one player should be singled out

Hawks fan in peace. Bob Stanley was the pitcher, and yes, the wild pitch he threw that tied up the game was the much bigger play. If you look at a replay of the Buckner play, they had him playing so far behind the bag that I don’t think he would have beaten the runner anyway.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad