Oilers Broadcast changes

onetweasy

"That's just like, your opinion, man"
Oct 16, 2005
Bowling Alley
Not terrible. I know people like to hate on Stauffer all day but I remember him way back to U of A hockey and he wasn't that bad. I don't listen to radio much, but I do find Michaels too chatty. Hopefully he can just stick to the hockey and not his stories and side talk. If both stick to the hockey it will be OK. If they drone on and on instead of paying any attention to the game I will just turn off the volume.

I prefer watching games with no commentary. Its more like being at the game and not having the constant inanity of a Kevin Quinn or such in your ear. I get that trained broadcasters feel like they always have to be talking but please let it be something instructive.

Years ago Meeker, Gallivan, Dirk Irwin, good broadcasters used to do that, they would make the game MORE enjoyable, and give viewers more knowledge through their informed commentary.

With Quinn it was never that. It was just him reading prompter with some stupid stat like Draisaitl has 8pts in the last 8GP. Usually stuff with not a stitch of significance or even why it was being stated. Like random comments.

I have always preferred the commentators that approached it as more of an art form and not the technical guys like Hughson who struggle to capture big moments. Bob Cole was my favorite in his prime. The good ones know how to walk the line of letting the moment speak for itself and when to add commentary.

Jack and Bob could be decent with some coaching. Jack needs to know when to go over the top with emotion like he did when Mike Smith fought Talbot - don't be an 11 on the emotional dial at all times. Bob.....needs to stop proving how much random sports knowledge he has and just stick to the hockey game.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Interested to see how Jack does on TV. Not a fan of him in the radio, but a lot of that has to did with how he and Bob spend more time talking about obscure US college hockey information than actually doing PBP.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Interested to see how Jack does on TV. Not a fan of him in the radio, but a lot of that has to did with how he and Bob spend more time talking about obscure US college hockey information than actually doing PBP.
I think Jack's play by play is just...straight up better than Quinn's. His rambling is definitely from Stauffer but if I'm reading it right Debrusk is the analyst so I think he is his sidekick?

Edit: It'll be nice to have our PBP guy not butcher names.

Edit Edit: Even all of the Oiler hype videos before games and shit replaced Quinn with Jack lol

Reactions: Reginald Dunlop

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007

I'm sure Del will chime in...I recall he posted stating he had watched a Kings game a few years back when they were having "try outs" so to speak for their next TV play by play announcer. He said Jack was a complete 180 calling the game on tv than from radio.

I'm quite sure he filled in for Quinn once as well when Quinn was really sick and couldn't do the game.

Louie is staying so I'm pretty happy.

...and my body is ready for more Gene in hotdog suits.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
...also, with Kevin Quinn, I also believe someone said he actually lives in Calgary and he flew up on game days so maybe he wasn't willing to make a temporary move to Edmonton :dunno:.

Reactions: ujju2

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC

The biggest problem with Jack is "Jack and Bob".
I think both would be fine separately.

If Michaels tones down the screeching just a bit, I think he's actually pretty good as a play by play guy. Debrusk would be a good ying to the Michaels yang IMO.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
I'm sure Del will chime in...I recall he posted stating he had watched a Kings game a few years back when they were having "try outs" so to speak for their next TV play by play announcer. He said Jack was a complete 180 calling the game on tv than from radio.

I'm quite sure he filled in for Quinn once as well when Quinn was really sick and couldn't do the game.

Louie is staying so I'm pretty happy.

Maybe on the radio he’s more animated where as on TV the video does more of the work for him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad