Oilers Broadcast changes

KMart27

Jun 9, 2013
At least we don't ever hear the status of whether someone has been molested or not when crossing the blue line

The old hallmark of one Mark Lee when he did PBP for HNIC

I have two main memories of Mark Lee, aside from not liking him. 1. I seem to recall rapier being a common term of his. 2. There was a game or two where you could hear somebody in the background telling him what to say.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Kevin Quinn was holding this team back.

Dude was mailing it in for years. Literally the only information he provided to fans every game was how long since that player last scored. And it didn’t even have to be a significant amount of time... it’s always like “That’s Khairas first goal in 3 games” or “7 games” or “11 games”. Literally non-info.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
He was so dynamic, not even a stretcher could hold him
My university roommate’s brother was a teammate of Modanos on the Raiders when he (Modano) was a rookie. Wed go under the stands after a game to visit and I still remember this 6 foot tall beanpole struggling to lug around the trainers trunk to the bus, when they were departing the Saskatoon Arena downtown. Then he became a HOFer.

JordanGalhanth

Apr 21, 2012
I have two main memories of Mark Lee, aside from not liking him. 1. I seem to recall rapier being a common term of his. 2. There was a game or two where you could hear somebody in the background telling him what to say.

Don't forget his final years with Kevin Weekes... "like a wide receiver in football"

Reactions: oilers'72

Gordy Elbows

Keep off my lawn
Oct 31, 2019
Waaaay back in the day (when numbers beyond 6 hadn't been invented yet), there was Danny Gallivan broadcasting THE Saturday night game on CBC tv*. One game per week only - featuring either the Habs or Leafs. Phrases such as "cannonading shot" "rapier like pass" and "diminutive player" were often heard. He was Shakesperian compared to many of today's broadcasters.

* Imagine watching black and white with limited camera angles. Ice wasnt painted white so it appeared pretty dark on the screen and hard to see the puck at times.

HockeyGuy1964

Oct 7, 2013
Waaaay back in the day (when numbers beyond 6 hadn't been invented yet), there was Danny Gallivan broadcasting THE Saturday night game on CBC tv*. One game per week only - featuring either the Habs or Leafs. Phrases such as "cannonading shot" "rapier like pass" and "diminutive player" were often heard. He was Shakesperian compared to many of today's broadcasters.

* Imagine watching black and white with limited camera angles. Ice wasnt painted white so it appeared pretty dark on the screen and hard to see the puck at times.

What? The ice has always been painted white since TV. The lighting just sucked & was hard to see through the bad reception & vertical hold issues that us kids were stationed beside the TV to adjust when needed.

IMO the best line was Savardian spin-o-rama.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Dude was mailing it in for years. Literally the only information he provided to fans every game was how long since that player last scored. And it didn’t even have to be a significant amount of time... it’s always like “That’s Khairas first goal in 3 games” or “7 games” or “11 games”. Literally non-info.
I know. It's so much better now with Michaels telling us about a highschool football incident in 1988, and where his dogs nickname came from, during the play.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018

Wasn't him that coined the term “Savardian Spinnerama” also?
Edit - I just read HockeyGuy1964’s post.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
What? The ice has always been painted white since TV. The lighting just sucked & was hard to see through the bad reception & vertical hold issues that us kids were stationed beside the TV to adjust when needed.

IMO the best line was Savardian spin-o-rama.

Can't say whether the NHL rinks were always painted white way back in time, I don't think they were, or not using as much paint as today. As recently as the 60's the ice at Edmonton Gardens was not painted white like it is in modern era. Wasn't until the WHA that I first say ice painted that way. Can't remember exactly but I'm not positive the ice was painted White here until the Edmonton Coliseum.

I mean there was a cost involved in painting the entire surface, and there was no real need to do that outside of TV viewing.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
Can't say whether the NHL rinks were always painted white way back in time, I don't think they were, or not using as much paint as today. As recently as the 60's the ice at Edmonton Gardens was not painted white like it is in modern era. Wasn't until the WHA that I first say ice painted that way. Can't remember exactly but I'm not positive the ice was painted White here until the Edmonton Coliseum.

I mean there was a cost involved in painting the entire surface, and there was no real need to do that outside of TV viewing.

The 1950 NHL ice change

HockeyGuy1964

Oct 7, 2013

I worked in an arena in bumf*** Alberta in the mid to late 70's where there was no chance of the games ever being broadcast & we used a concoction similar to what is used now to make the base white.

FTR the head guy was the only head ice maker we can all name.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I worked in an arena in bumf*** Alberta in the mid to late 70's where there was no chance of the games ever being broadcast & we used a concoction similar to what is used now to make the base white.

FTR the head guy was the only head ice maker we can all name.
Bill Hunter was notoriously cheap, If there was any avoidable expense he wasn't paying it. I still remember greyish looking ice at Edmonton Gardens. Thanks to the other posts we know the NHL introduced in 1950-52. I wonder how long it took for all indoor rinks to be using the ice paint. Makes it look a lot better.

Probably my recollection is wrong. I remember the ice looking pretty shitty at the Old Edmonton Gardens most of the time. but heh, come playoff time there were clouds of cigarette smoke in the place too. Sometimes so bad they had to tell the fans to stop smoking so much because the players were hacking. As a kid I found it pretty hard, I was allergic to smoke.

This got me down history aisle again.

Edmonton Gardens - Alchetron, The Free Social Encyclopedia

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad