Oilers Broadcast changes

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Finally had a chance to hear Michaels on TV last night. Still does the same rambling, off topic shit that he was infamous for on radio. Blathering on about boxing for about 30 seconds, while the play merrily carried on, with a good scoring chance thrown in for good measure. At least I, the viewer could see the game for myself.

Reactions: oilers'72

JordanGalhanth

Apr 21, 2012
Listening on CHED tonight, and can't help but feel sorry for Cam. Bob just keeps interrupting and trying to one-up him as though he's still with Jack.

If he weren't at 1260, I would much prefer Jason Strudwick as the color guy - or at least someone who can say more with fewer words.

JordanGalhanth

Apr 21, 2012
Caught the TV highlights and was reminded why I can't stand Jack. His calls of the 3rd period goals would've been impossible to decipher on radio.

Reactions: oilers'72

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Listening on CHED tonight, and can't help but feel sorry for Cam. Bob just keeps interrupting and trying to one-up him as though he's still with Jack.

If he weren't at 1260, I would much prefer Jason Strudwick as the color guy - or at least someone who can say more with fewer words.

Rob Brown

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Caught the TV highlights and was reminded why I can't stand Jack. His calls of the 3rd period goals would've been impossible to decipher on radio.

Michaels is awful i turn down the volume sometimes. He has guys scoring goals that are not even on the ice. Has happened multiple times this year and again tonight. I swear theres times where he doesn't even know what lines are out there. Just a mess.

Last game was like he was drunk. His play calling was behind 2 secs he has such slow speech. I keep saying this but he slurs his words. "Hennis" lmao.

oilers'72

Jul 3, 2006
Red Deer, Alta
Michaels is awful i turn down the volume sometimes. He has guys scoring goals that are not even on the ice. Has happened multiple times this year and again tonight. I swear theres times where he doesn't even know what lines are out there. Just a mess.

Last game was like he was drunk. His play calling was behind 2 secs he has such slow speech. I keep saying this but he slurs his words. "Hennis" lmao.

Pull out the wireless from the attic, fire up the tubes and listen to Cam instead :D.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Pull out the wireless from the attic, fire up the tubes and listen to Cam instead :D.

Heh, I would think about that but the last time I tried it radio was on a 7 second delay. Don't they still have that?

Michaels is frustrating. he can't even follow the play in time. Whenever its a passing play he's 1 player behind who has the puck. Almost hilarious. Its like his brain has to catch up to what his eyes are seeing.

At the end of the game. "The player you are seeing scored his first goal as an Oiler" With the camera fully focused on Koskinen the whole time. The guy doesn't even know when to look at the monitor. Growing pains I guess. broadcasts are going to be pretty random.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017

He's also calling the game off a TV while he sits at rogers place.

They really should have the play delayed by a second so he can call it properly.

Reactions: FiveFourteenSixOne

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
He's also calling the game off a TV while he sits at rogers place.

They really should have the play delayed by a second so he can call it properly.

When Singh is calling the game is he there? Because Singh has had no trouble keeping up with the play, and Michaels is just as bad at home broadcasts. He's always behind the play due to his slow Yank drawl. He just seems unable to keep up with the play.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Yeah I understood who you meant, I was just countering with some of Michaels mistakes. heh. Its all good, and I agree, both will get better and its miles better than Quinn. I was shocked to realize Quinn was doing Oilers broadcasts for 20yrs. Where did those years go..
Team was so bad all that time that most of us were too drunk to remember them.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

oilers'72

Jul 3, 2006
Red Deer, Alta
Heh, I would think about that but the last time I tried it radio was on a 7 second delay. Don't they still have that?

Michaels is frustrating. he can't even follow the play in time. Whenever its a passing play he's 1 player behind who has the puck. Almost hilarious. Its like his brain has to catch up to what his eyes are seeing.

At the end of the game. "The player you are seeing scored his first goal as an Oiler" With the camera fully focused on Koskinen the whole time. The guy doesn't even know when to look at the monitor. Growing pains I guess. broadcasts are going to be pretty random.

I don't know about the delay while listening to CHED. I was the same way. Watch at home, listen while in the vehicle. Right now, I'm watching online and the online CHED broadcast is 25 seconds ahead.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
When Singh is calling the game is he there? Because Singh has had no trouble keeping up with the play, and Michaels is just as bad at home broadcasts. He's always behind the play due to his slow Yank drawl. He just seems unable to keep up with the play.
Signh has only called home games so far where he is on site.

Part of the issue the last couple games has definitely been Jack watching it on a monitor that is on a slight delay. It’s also probably a bit harder to get names right when you’re beholden to the feed coming through the screen.

The last couple games have been rough with that delay. It’s too bad we couldn’t just go with the home broadcast every game this year. I don’t mind getting other teams homer casts. We might even get that with Calgary and Vancouver who have their regional rights with Sportsnet and not TSN like the rest of the Canadian teams.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
When the play is going on maybe Jack can remember he is the play by play man and not the colour man. Wasn't as bad yesterday, but on Friday I was tempted to turn the game off.

It works on radio as people don't know what's really going on, but on tv when there is a rush please stick to calling the game.

Bobieque

Low n' Slow (Me & the Food)
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2006
High River
I don't mind Jack for his energy, but something was really bothering me and I finally figured it out.

For a while I thought he was on a delay, but at moments he's right synced with the action, then I realized he is just taking too long to describe a play (which he can get away with in radio) but can't with live TV.

Example: Puck in Oilers zone along boards near blue line. Draisaitl passes back along boards to Ethan Bear, who snaps it cross ice to Nurse, who redirects immediately to Yamamoto exiting the zone.

(3) actions

Drai back Bear
Bear to Nurse
Nurse to Yama out of zone

Jack's call (reality in brackets)

(Drai to Bear) "Draisaitl reads the play and smartly does a reverse (Bear has it and is passing it to Nurse) down the boards to an awaiting (Nurse has redirected puck to Yama, leaves the defensive zone) Bear who goes Nurse and (Yama now in Neutral zone) it's Yamamoto in the Neutral zone" (He catches up with the play)

On Radio, you don't know how far his lengthy description is behind, but it still seems disjointed (Huh? Did he say Nurse and suddenly Yama in the Neutral Zone?) because he'll abandon 2 actions to get caught up on the actual play. Very, very obvious on TV.

He has to shorten his descriptions, speak a bit faster, and stop engaging Louie when the play is on. Have the "fun" ribbing/conversation "Hey, did you even score, ha ha" during a break in play. This isn't baseball.

edit: JoeStevens above me said it simpler and quicker, like an actual TV play by play as opposed to my Jackism description ;)

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
And honestly I don't get the delays. Just give us the live feed and have Edmonton guys doing intermissions.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Signh has only called home games so far where he is on site.

Part of the issue the last couple games has definitely been Jack watching it on a monitor that is on a slight delay. It’s also probably a bit harder to get names right when you’re beholden to the feed coming through the screen.

The last couple games have been rough with that delay. It’s too bad we couldn’t just go with the home broadcast every game this year. I don’t mind getting other teams homer casts. We might even get that with Calgary and Vancouver who have their regional rights with Sportsnet and not TSN like the rest of the Canadian teams.

Exactly, I can't blame him messing up Turris vs. Larssson on that goal as Turris was just skating into view so the only number you could see would have been on the arm and 6 vs. 8 at a small font is a reasonable mistake.

Calling the game on a screen is really tough to be 100% about who's all on the ice. Probably even moreso when he's used to calling a game in the building.

Singh has only called games when he's physically in the building, these last two for Jack I'll give him some rope particularly as it is probably the first two times he's called off a monitor in his life.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad