Oilers Broadcast changes

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB
Different mediums suit different people...
I remember when Tom Gazzola was OilersTV, he came across as melancholy, and uninterested, but on radio, he is far from it.
Singh might have to look at bringing that enthusiasm from PNIC to the Oilers broadcast...or have Louis put a tack on his seat.

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting
We are 0-2 with Singh.

This better be temporary.

Felt sorry for him today. Because who would want to be calling that home game. Just one of those hard games to call. Thing is the Oilers didn't score till late and all the scoring plays were Habs goals which put Singh in a tough spot. Couldn't bring out his goalio package and both games have been like that.

Thing I like about him is how crisp his oratory speech is. When he says a players name I'm never left wondering which player it is. He doesn't mumble, he has very good enunciation. Play close attention to it and Michaels has some weird voice characteristics, some stammer, slow drawl, even slight slur of speech. A lot of lazy enunciation, so that when Michaels says something like Ennis, it sounds like Hennis. A couple times he said Turris and I didn't even know who he was talking about it, he pronounces it like Tavares. He somehow makes it into 3 syllables. Some really weird pronunciation, but some of that is just a Yank thing, some people understand American talk more than others.

I can listen to hours of Singh and understand every word he states. With Michaels I don't. In Europe they would call this kind of thing regional dialect. That its easy to understand somebody born and raised in your area that is talking vs understanding somebody from a different country or region. American drawl really doesn't work for me. I find it distracting, kind of annoying to listen to. heh, cowboy movies half the time I don't know what they're talking about. With someone like John Wayne I need captioned words.

But thats only me I guess.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
Felt sorry for him today. Because who would want to be calling that home game. Just one of those hard games to call. Thing is the Oilers didn't score till late and all the scoring plays were Habs goals which put Singh in a tough spot. Couldn't bring out his goalio package and both games have been like that.

Thing I like about him is how crisp his oratory speech is. When he says a players name I'm never left wondering which player it is. He doesn't mumble, he has very good enunciation. Play close attention to it and Michaels has some weird voice characteristics, some stammer, slow drawl, even slight slur of speech. A lot of lazy enunciation, so that when Michaels says something like Ennis, it sounds like Hennis. A couple times he said Turris and I didn't even know who he was talking about it, he pronounces it like Tavares. He somehow makes it into 3 syllables. Some really weird pronunciation, but some of that is just a Yank thing, some people understand American talk more than others.

I can listen to hours of Singh and understand every word he states. With Michaels I don't. In Europe they would call this kind of thing regional dialect. That its easy to understand somebody born and raised in your area that is talking vs understanding somebody from a different country or region. American drawl really doesn't work for me. I find it distracting, kind of annoying to listen to. heh, cowboy movies half the time I don't know what they're talking about. With someone like John Wayne I need captioned words.

It sounds like you prioritise different things than the other posters that dislike him.

If I'm listening to an audiobook or podcast, sure, enunciation and clear speech is preferred. A live sports game? Give me energy and excitement all day. If it means hearing him pronounce 'Hennis' as Ennis, it's a small price to pay. I find that Michaels atleast knows which players are which instantly, where there's been times in Singh's game where he clearly didn't know which player had possession and would awkwardly stop himself from trying to guess. Michaels emotion, energy and timing seem to be superior. Does Singh speak more clearly? Yes. Does it seem at any point that he's emotionally invested? I don't think so.

Nunymare

/ˈnʌnimɛr/
Sep 14, 2008
YEG

Haha, I was going to mention that maybe it was the American in Jack that might be the issue for you. Though it's pretty mild the American accent is still noticeable for certain words/ways of pronunciation (though he was been up here/in Alaska for a while). I mean, at least he isn't from the Deep South or Louisiana or anything.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting
I thank both of the last couple posts. Particularly for examining preference. I question however that Singh is not emotionallyinvested. In the English broadcasts, that could be stated, but look at the actual games he's called. Those games were inconsistent with cheerleading. Rod Philips would have called a spade a spade. In Punjabi broadcasts Singh is clearly quite involved. Singh in a recent interview commented on the Punjabi parlance and how in emphasis certain words or speech are sustained. Perhaps he's not doing that because it is not common practice in English. just saying.

@Nunymare Yep. I have trouble even understanding what some American friends state. Its harder for me to deduce than someone who speaks locally. Similarly a lot of people have difficulty understanding somebody from the UK speaking English whether it be a Scottish brogue or say Irish dialect. When my wife and her family visit, maybe with some drinking, they can return to Scottish brogue and terminology. They go back to it, and its interesting to hear. I have to ask sometimes what they are talking about. Although in more than 30yrs I've figured out a lot of it.

Its possible I have some kind of auditory processing difficulty. I've had my ears checked several times and they check out. But one of my biggest challenges in life, is hearing everything that people state. I commonly have to record and rewind shows, series, to figure out what people are stating. With some movies I just say f*** it and put captions on. We attend plays at the citadel and its frustrating because I go home still knowing I missed certain passages, that I didn't understand a particular part because I couldn't decipher what was stated.

Throw me in a dinner party with several people talking and good luck. I can't process what people are stating. When we're in a restuarant with loud people talking it makes it difficult for me to hear people at my own table.

heh, so its remarkable when people like Singh, with impeccable dictum, speak, because I hear every word stated. Perhaps because I have some possible auditory processing difficulty I just appreciate that quality of dictum, more.

what you say, I can't hear you...;)

Last edited:
Reactions: oilers'72

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
I listened to Michaels say stupid shit enough on CHED, I'm perfectly happy with Singh just calling the game, even if he doesn't sound the most excited.

Michaels was better and more toned down on TV.

I actually thought he did an excellent job doing PBP. They need to have him doing PBP every game.

I don’t like Singh on the play by play, he’s good as an intermission guy but not on English PBP.

Daryls Friend

May 14, 2017
I’d be curious as to what a Punjabi guy would say with regards to if there is a material difference as to how Singh calls the games in English vs Punjabi. Maybe right now he is just way more comfortable calling a game in Punjabi, and perhaps as he settles in he gets a lot better.
If you don’t have a clue about 1 of the languages it likely sounds vastly difference than what it is if you know the language.

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting
He doesnt confuse RNH for McDavid, or JP for McDavid, or Jones or Benning for McDavid.

But he did confuse Drai and RNH multiple times. I don't even know how that happens given one is twice as big as the other.. (exaggeration for effect) But seriously, how does Michaels get confused between Drai and Nuge bodytypes? I could spot the difference if the games were in Commonwealth stadium. Oh, theres the linebacker and theres the cornerback.. Michaels made this mistake 3 times, once on a scoring play. On a prototypical Drai backhand apple.

yukoner88

Dec 16, 2009
Dawson City, YT
But he did confuse Drai and RNH multiple times. I don't even know how that happens given one is twice as big as the other.. (exaggeration for effect) But seriously, how does Michaels get confused between Drai and Nuge bodytypes? I could spot the difference if the games were in Commonwealth stadium. Oh, theres the linebacker and theres the cornerback.. Michaels made this mistake 3 times, once on a scoring play. On a prototypical Drai backhand apple.

Sorry, I should've mentioned that it was Singh, whom I was referring to, as to who doesnt screw the names up.

I only heard Singh last night, but with what I heard, I have zero issues with him.

As of today, I think Michaels is the better pbp on tv, as he does have more emotion in his voice. But, with that said, having Singh as the pop guy for HNIC's late game, is a good thing to me, and Singh will only get better as he settles more into the role.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
I thank both of the last couple posts. Particularly for examining preference. I question however that Singh is not emotionallyinvested. In the English broadcasts, that could be stated, but look at the actual games he's called. Those games were inconsistent with cheerleading. Rod Philips would have called a spade a spade. In Punjabi broadcasts Singh is clearly quite involved. Singh in a recent interview commented on the Punjabi parlance and how in emphasis certain words or speech are sustained. Perhaps he's not doing that because it is not common practice in English. just saying.

@Nunymare Yep. I have trouble even understanding what some American friends state. Its harder for me to deduce than someone who speaks locally. Similarly a lot of people have difficulty understanding somebody from the UK speaking English whether it be a Scottish brogue or say Irish dialect. When my wife and her family visit, maybe with some drinking, they can return to Scottish brogue and terminology. They go back to it, and its interesting to hear. I have to ask sometimes what they are talking about. Although in more than 30yrs I've figured out a lot of it.

Its possible I have some kind of auditory processing difficulty. I've had my ears checked several times and they check out. But one of my biggest challenges in life, is hearing everything that people state. I commonly have to record and rewind shows, series, to figure out what people are stating. With some movies I just say f*** it and put captions on. We attend plays at the citadel and its frustrating because I go home still knowing I missed certain passages, that I didn't understand a particular part because I couldn't decipher what was stated.

Throw me in a dinner party with several people talking and good luck. I can't process what people are stating. When we're in a restuarant with loud people talking it makes it difficult for me to hear people at my own table.

heh, so its remarkable when people like Singh, with impeccable dictum, speak, because I hear every word stated. Perhaps because I have some possible auditory processing difficulty I just appreciate that quality of dictum, more.

what you say, I can't hear you...;)

I actually wonder about the target audience involved. Singh's animated and somewhat over the top play calling might work for the Punjabi audience where potentially there are more new-ish hockey fans and the play calling is part of the sizzle selling the excitement of the game. Meanwhile traditional hockey viewers look more so for play by play calling that doesn't detract from the game itself, is less forgiving of histrionic descriptions, and complements the game play vs overwhelms it with hyperbolic reactions.

Regardless, two diverse viewing audiences and Singh, as one professionally trained, is adjusting his approach for them. Crossing over to mainstream media and audience, I think we're seeing Singh modulating/fine tuning his approach to find his comfort and voice with a traditional, conservative audience. He's a work in progress but, as stated, he's an Albertan who has hockey in his blood and dna and has earned the showcase being given to him on Sportsnet and HNIC. This is essentially his first and second games in the majors! There's gonna be some nerves involved. Let's all give him some time and respect for the journey involved to earn his shot.

Regarding Michaels, he's put his time in too including a cross country move to Alaska for play calling. I think he's been setback with an amateur colour guy who for some unknown reason was given the keys to hire PxP and opted to create a fratboy, weak broadcast team too often too self-indulgent in their own distractions. Freed from that with a pro like Debrusk, Michaels can simplify and focus his play calling enhanced too by the visual medium of television.

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting
Sorry, I should've mentioned that it was Singh, whom I was referring to, as to who does screw the names up.

I only heard Singh last night, but with what I heard, I have zero issues with him.

As of today, I think Michaels is the better pbp on tv, as he does have more emotion in his voice. But, with that said, having Singh as the pop guy for HNIC's late game, is a good thing to me, and Singh will only get better as he settles more into the role.

Yeah I understood who you meant, I was just countering with some of Michaels mistakes. heh. Its all good, and I agree, both will get better and its miles better than Quinn. I was shocked to realize Quinn was doing Oilers broadcasts for 20yrs. Where did those years go..

Reactions: yukoner88

yukoner88

Dec 16, 2009
Dawson City, YT
Yeah I understood who you meant, I was just countering with some of Michaels mistakes. heh. Its all good, and I agree, both will get better and its miles better than Quinn. I was shocked to realize Quinn was doing Oilers broadcasts for 20yrs. Where did those years go..

Time flies when you constantly try to wash, rinse n repeat trying to remove the same stain over n over again

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
It sounds like you prioritise different things than the other posters that dislike him.

If I'm listening to an audiobook or podcast, sure, enunciation and clear speech is preferred. A live sports game? Give me energy and excitement all day. If it means hearing him pronounce 'Hennis' as Ennis, it's a small price to pay. I find that Michaels atleast knows which players are which instantly, where there's been times in Singh's game where he clearly didn't know which player had possession and would awkwardly stop himself from trying to guess. Michaels emotion, energy and timing seem to be superior. Does Singh speak more clearly? Yes. Does it seem at any point that he's emotionally invested? I don't think so.

Like I said in the GDT, Singh sounds like he's calling a horse race.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Stauffer currently on an hour long apology for the Oilers. He just can't call them out when they suck this bad.

Reactions: Aerchon

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->