Pre-Game Talk: Oilers @ Boston Thursday 10/11

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
I love Lowetide.

I get why Pulju was on the 3rd line, it made sense. He likes Strome and they vibe off eachother. Hell I would understand if the player replacing him had an amazing game and Yamamoto was great too. But it's Zach Kassian.

The good thing about Lowetide is that the man loves to write, even though he works for TSN, I dont think he goes to media avails (like Gregor/Rishaud/Stauffer etc) so he has less concern about getting his spotlight taken away. Hes probably old enough too that hes not overly concerned about losing his career.

PulYou

Feb 16, 2018
I know theres been talk that Strudwick (could be wrong) indicated that McDavid/Drai didnt really like playing with JP in the past (because they cant anticipate what hes going to do?). The more and more time that passes, it seems like the case because the coach doesnt try JP with those two. I think the whole JP/Strome experiment was because of that, hes trying to find a spot for JP and keep his two star players happy. Well Draisaitl should maybe give JP another crack, because he needs help on his line in the worst way. Maybe I am wrong, maybe McDavid and Drai are happy to play with JP.

If it is so, that McDavid and Draisaitl don't want to play with Pulju, wouldn't it make sense to trade Pulju? I would as a GM, if this is the case...

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
Edm must be the only team who sits back and rarely forchecks. Pretty much every team forchecks, works hard all game and skates. This isn’t 2010 anymore. Lol

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
The two goals factors in probably 1 McDavid to Draisaitl feed.

You look at that last game and as much as people want to praise Lucic, the fact is WITHOUT McDavid on the ice with the two of them, Leon and Milan struggled to even get out of their own zone.

I counted in the 2nd period three straight shifts from that line where they got out of their own zone *once*.

This team is in big trouble any time no.97 is not on the ice. They are horrendous offensively without him.

And yes I agree this is sad.

The Drai line of course is a man short anytime Yama, the smallest player in the league is on it. I wouldn't expect much different. Yama is getting owned all over the ice.

Of course Pulju, or Rieder make more sense on that line so of course, as per McLellan Yama has to be on it, for some reason. I'm still waiting to see anything from Kailer in a real game.

Reactions: PulYou

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
Funny I don't mind it. They got destroyed last game and Jesse wasn't good. He needs a wakeup call. Maybe it will be the chaotic line with Cajulla and Jesse all over the place out of position something might work. Broz has got to be sick or injured, even though he was bad I don't see him coming out. Then again who would if Cajulla is ready to play.

Bouchard sitting might be good against a team like Boston. You don't want him getting roasted.
Jesse was no worse than any of our other bottom-6ers against NJ - I'd even say that he was our best. Demoting him in place of Kassian, who was awful, makes no sense. Especially since he is now stuck playing with "Cajulla".

Reactions: PulYou

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I know theres been talk that Strudwick (could be wrong) indicated that McDavid/Drai didnt really like playing with JP in the past (because they cant anticipate what hes going to do?). The more and more time that passes, it seems like the case because the coach doesnt try JP with those two. I think the whole JP/Strome experiment was because of that, hes trying to find a spot for JP and keep his two star players happy. Well Draisaitl should maybe give JP another crack, because he needs help on his line in the worst way. Maybe I am wrong, maybe McDavid and Drai are happy to play with JP.

With all due respect to Drai he isn't #97 and needs to be better. If that means playing with Puljujarvi while getting paid $8.5 million AAV I think that he should be content and not whining about it. If not then saddle him with Kassian for 20 games and he'll be crying to get Jesse on his line.

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
Where did you hear that?

Louis Cypher

Boys are back in town
Jun 11, 2007
Bouchard was probably our best defensemen against Jersey. Benning should be benched after that game.

I agree but you know that's not happening. If Benning sihts the bed again then maybe you see him come out. At least hes been downgraded to #6. That should send him a message.

The little time Jesse played with Drai last game they looked dangerous but Dimwit isn't trying that again.

If I see 5 lefties out there again on the PP I'm going to scream. Oh wait it will be followed by 5 righties on PP2 which will negate the stupidity of the first configuration... That's TMac's thinking anyway. :help:

Reactions: McDaddy

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Pulju is prone to stupid penalties? He has had a total of 13 minor penalties in 94 games.

Maybe it’s a bit of perception, but I remember a lot of them being O zone and completely pointless. I remember a few of them last year that were O zone in the back half of the third that ended up being back breakers.

It would take reviewing each one to verify how dumb they were, but it’s something that I’ve noticed over the past year with him. When he does take them they’re bad.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Folks, I'm going to have to ask you to tone down the negativity. My morning affirmations and pumpkin spice incense have been totally wasted after reading this board.

I am worthy of everything good in life. I deserve to be happy. . .

Gotta say it, insense stinks worse than ****.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
If it is so, that McDavid and Draisaitl don't want to play with Pulju, wouldn't it make sense to trade Pulju? I would as a GM, if this is the case...
I think it's Pulju is struggling to learn systems and players that have succeeded with McDavid learn systems well. Same with Drai. So they are probably hoping with experience he can figure that out

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011

I could be wrong because I have no insight at all with the team, but I've always got the impression that Chiarelli likes JP. The way he talks about him, I can tell he gets a bit giddy with his tools, he expects him to break out at some point.

I dont think TM and Chiarelli are on the same page. I thought that last year. Both have done a poor job.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004

I'd tell Drai that if he can't make it work then he can enjoy centering Kassian and Caggiula.

Reactions: McIce Whole

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Jesse was no worse than any of our other bottom-6ers against NJ - I'd even say that he was our best. Demoting him in place of Kassian, who was awful, makes no sense. Especially since he is now stuck playing with "Cajulla".

Pulju was undoubtedly our best bottomsix player in Europe. Not even close. Especially in Sweden.

For that he gets demoted to the 4th line. This is going to go over real well..

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I think that Todd and MacT are BFF's and that if Chia had his way that Todd would've walked the plank by now. Just my opinion.

Reactions: North

Louis Cypher

Boys are back in town
Jun 11, 2007

I didn't mind Kassian's play. Actually Cajulla and Jesse could play well together. They are both erratic and unpredictable. JJ can cover for them hopefully. Maybe a good speed cycle line.

Hopefully 1st 2 lines score then the battle for the 3/4 will be less pressured.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Gotta say it, insense stinks worse than ****.
lNUh0uV.gif

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
With all due respect to Drai he isn't #97 and needs to be better. If that means playing with Puljujarvi while getting paid $8.5 million AAV I think that he should be content and not whining about it. If not then saddle him with Kassian for 20 games and he'll be crying to get Jesse on his line.

Draisaitl always works the best with big players. So does Rieder. So does Lucic. Yama is the player that definitely doesn't fit on the 2nd line. Almost anybody else would be better. I could see this version of Pulju working with Drai. But not the version that played much of last season. If Pulju is skating, using his stride, being physically engaged he will work with Drai and Lucic. I would put him there right now. The team needs it too.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
I think that Todd and MacT are BFF's and that if Chia had his way that Todd would've walked the plank by now. Just my opinion.

Honestly its probably because Katz doesnt want to pay someone or both (3 mil for Tm and whatever amount Chiarelli makes) to sit at home and then pay another coach/gm multiple millions to replace them.

PulYou

Feb 16, 2018
I could be wrong because I have no insight at all with the team, but I've always got the impression that Chiarelli likes JP. The way he talks about him, I can tell he gets a bit giddy with his tools, he expects him to break out at some point.

I dont think TM and Chiarelli are on the same page. I thought that last year. Both have done a poor job.

This is how I see it too. Chiarelli likes Pulju and McLellan doesn't. But if Your star players don't like him either, what good is it to keep Pulju in Your roster?

I do think that all these rumours have one purpose though - to cover McLellan's butt. In Finnish media or even when the Canadian one asked, never Pulju said, he wanted to play with Strome. Pulju said he wants as much TOI as possible and play on first or second line. Nothing I want to feel comfortable with Strome...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad