Pre-Game Talk: Oilers @ Boston Thursday 10/11

Status
Not open for further replies.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
What the actual f*** is this lineup. Brodziak had a bad game so I get him sitting. The defense actually seems more reasonable... But that bottom 9...?

What in God's name is Kassian doing above Pulju. Unless the teams plan is to not have a 4th line and the game be like...25 McDavids line, 15 Draisaitls line and then 10 for the other 2, it still doesn't make any sense. I'm not even a huge Pulju fan but what the actual Frick.

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
Florida fires their coach when they have a winning records and we do squat when its OBVIOUS that Mclellan doesn't belong in the NHL.

I agree with firing Mclellan but let's not compare this to Florida firing Gallant. The man who last took then to the playoffs and just took an expansion team to the SCF.
He was fired for personal reasons not team reasons.

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
Glen Gulutzan running the powerplay ? you bring in a failed head coach with possibly one of the best 5 man pp personals in the league last season but finished 28th in PP to run this anemic powerplay ? Get real.

if the guy couldnt coach

Gaudreau
Monahan
Hamilton
Tkachuck
Giordano

to a top 25 PP

what is he going to do with

Benning and Klefbom, a rookie Defenseman, Larsson from the point .... lol

Hey but he's from Saskatchewan!

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
How does Kassian get promoted after doing nothing all of last season and this preseason and first game. My lord, Todd is trying to get fired. He must have a snowbird timeshare booked somewhere. Wants to get out of dodge by November.

Pulju gets dropped to 4th line. This is going to get ugly. Good thing theres no home games for awhile.

In cologne and Gothenburg he had hustle on the ice. Pizza boy was out for a Sunday drive

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I had a dream a few days back that the Oilers were up 9-0 at about the 18 minute mark of the 1st period vs I think the Leafs (could be a different team... it's a little fuzzy)... woke up before the game ended so I assume they won that game.

With that type of offense I'm not too concerned about the Oilers... they'll bounce back and dominate.
With what type of offense? A singlr player offense?

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
The only downside if we fire McLellan is that we have Gulutzan as the HC..

Although that probably means Viverios actually coaches the pp...

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
In cologne and Gothenburg he had hustle on the ice. Pizza boy was out for a Sunday drive

Agreed (although I wasn’t exactly enthused with Kassian’s game either).

Puljujarvi didn’t do much of anything and took a dumbass penalty that lead to a GA.

I agree with the consensus that he probably needs a better look with good players, but it’s tough to justify that when he plays (at times) with zero drive and is prone to Pouliot-esque stupid penalties.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Personally I haven't seen Brodziak do a lot in the preseason in NA or in the games in Europe either... not "siding" with the coach... but if we are trying to be fair and equal with everyone on the team and call a spade a spade... he hasn't done a lot to impress. I realize he's more of a defensive player so when you don't notice him... he's likely doing his job but I would expect just a little more offense or at least staying above water defensively.

Very true. He's been invisible. I've been hoping it's just a matter of a vet knowing not to empty the gas tank in the preseason and it very well may be that still. It's too early to tell. No one was going to look good against that Devils team which just dominated us. Either way, it's TMac and we all know he has zero patience for his players after a loss, it's always been this way, atleast he hasn't given up on that first line yet. Although he's probably 1 loss away from screwing up that line too.

Weitz

Sep 23, 2014
Stauffer defending the team as usual instead of calling a spade a spade.

Tom Brady

Legend of all Legends!
Feb 13, 2010
Based on the preseason Puljujarvi deserves to play with at least one of McDavid/Draisaitl. he's been in the league for 3 years putting him on the 4th is utter nonsense, i'd rather him play in the AHL than the 4th line.

Reactions: Duke74

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
To be fair Gregor doesn't really jump to anyone's defense. He is trying to find a rational reason for it.
The problem with the rational for it though is that at the end of the night tomorrow, that "3rd line" is going to be down around 8 or 9 minutes and that "4th line" will be up around 12 or 13.

But at least we wont have all righties and all lefties on the two PP units, you know Drake will be a staple on the 2nd unit.

(Hey I can rip the coach when it looks dumb too :P)

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Louis Cypher

Boys are back in town
Jun 11, 2007

Funny I don't mind it. They got destroyed last game and Jesse wasn't good. He needs a wakeup call. Maybe it will be the chaotic line with Cajulla and Jesse all over the place out of position something might work. Broz has got to be sick or injured, even though he was bad I don't see him coming out. Then again who would if Cajulla is ready to play.

Bouchard sitting might be good against a team like Boston. You don't want him getting roasted.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Funny I don't mind it. They got destroyed last game and Jesse wasn't good. He needs a wakeup call. Maybe it will be the chaotic line with Cajulla and Jesse all over the place out of position something might work. Broz has got to be sick or injured, even though he was bad I don't see him coming out. Then again who would if Cajulla is ready to play.

Bouchard sitting might be good against a team like Boston. You don't want him getting roasted.
Bouchard was probably our best defensemen against Jersey. Benning should be benched after that game.

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
I agree with the consensus that he probably needs a better look with good players, but it’s tough to justify that when he plays (at times) with zero drive and is prone to Pouliot-esque stupid penalties.

Every stupid penalty is too much and I apologize for defending Jesse, but I don't know if a few ones over all this time really makes him "prone to them". Out of the forwards who played most of the season he took the least amount of penalties (14 minutes in 65 games) along with Camalleri and Letestu last year.

Anyway, like many others I expect Jesse to do better in the next game. Putting him with Caggiula and Khaira may not help but we'll see.

Reactions: Aerrol

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Based on the preseason Puljujarvi deserves to play with at least one of McDavid/Draisaitl. he's been in the league for 3 years putting him on the 4th is utter nonsense, i'd rather him play in the AHL than the 4th line.

I know theres been talk that Strudwick (could be wrong) indicated that McDavid/Drai didnt really like playing with JP in the past (because they cant anticipate what hes going to do?). The more and more time that passes, it seems like the case because the coach doesnt try JP with those two. I think the whole JP/Strome experiment was because of that, hes trying to find a spot for JP and keep his two star players happy. Well Draisaitl should maybe give JP another crack, because he needs help on his line in the worst way. Maybe I am wrong, maybe McDavid and Drai are happy to play with JP.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017

I love Lowetide.

I get why Pulju was on the 3rd line, it made sense. He likes Strome and they vibe off eachother. Hell I would understand if the player replacing him had an amazing game and Yamamoto was great too. But it's Zach Kassian.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Maybe we are showcasing Kassian for a trade?

aaa.jpg

Reactions: A91

HockeyHistorian

Mar 17, 2015
Puljujarvi didn’t do much of anything and took a dumbass penalty that lead to a GA.

Pulju is prone to stupid penalties? He has had a total of 13 minor penalties in 94 games.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Well, if it were up to me the next coaching hire would be on a new GM as well.

I hear you and truth be told I wanted a new head coach last season because if the team wouldn't rebound then Chia's ass should be held to the flame. I also feel that if Chia watches this season go to crap without a coaching change that he should be down the road as well. My only fear is who steps in? MacT as GM and Buchberger as coach?

Terrible decision, Benning deserves the pine, not Evan.

Agreed, hopefully we are showcasing Kassian and Benning.

Of course the media immediately jumps to Todd's defence instead of asking questions.

The media has rightly been critical of Chia but they have not gone against Todd at all which IMO is BS.

That's one short leash for Jesse.

Surprised? I'm not.

So Stauffer just emphatically stated that Gulutzan is running the PP, not Viveiros. Mr 28th in the league last year with Calgary. Interesting?

Great, may as well just call him McLellan Jr. Meet your new coach, same as the old coach just without the white hair.

You start to wonder about our pro scouting.

Last year they bring in Jokinen, everyone says "well, pretty solid bet, maybe he'll have a bounce back year". Nope, gone pretty quickly.

Now they bring in Brodziak, everyone says "well, pretty solid bet, he'll shore up the PK and 4th line". Now maybe he's being scratched?

Or maybe our coaching just sucks? Play veterans in systems that make sense and you get results.

How does Kassian get promoted after doing nothing all of last season and this preseason and first game. My lord, Todd is trying to get fired. He must have a snowbird timeshare booked somewhere. Wants to get out of dodge by November.

Pulju gets dropped to 4th line. This is going to get ugly. Good thing theres no home games for awhile.

Kassian can gtfo with Todd. I'd take Ben Eager over this guy at least Eager would take the damn body.

Personally I haven't seen Brodziak do a lot in the preseason in NA or in the games in Europe either... not "siding" with the coach... but if we are trying to be fair and equal with everyone on the team and call a spade a spade... he hasn't done a lot to impress. I realize he's more of a defensive player so when you don't notice him... he's likely doing his job but I would expect just a little more offense or at least staying above water defensively.

Veterans can take some time to get going, it's a new team and system as well and oh yeah Kassian is a plug of a linemate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad