Oilers Ahead of the Flames

Status
Not open for further replies.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
It doesn't bother me either. I'd say Vancouver is the team I truly detest. That's about it.

Yup, this is true for me too. There is zero rivalry left between the Oilers and Flames. When they play eachother you have the Oilers just going through the motions and the flames doing their thing and the game usually ends with nothing worth talking about happening.

In Canucks games, we have our kids getting run all night long and the Oilers are getting all mad warning the Canucks that Kale Kessy might make the lineup in 2018 and kick their butts. We usually end up with at least 1 Oiler injured. At least something is happening and it's easy to despise the Canucks still.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Yeah to be honest I really wouldn't be upset or anything if the Flames make the playoffs. Would be kinda nice to have some playoff hockey in Alberta, it's just been far too long.

Mind you, I don't think they will make it, the West is simply a bit too competitive, but every year there does seem to be a team that no one expected to make the playoffs that makes it in (Colorado last year for example).

Vancouver fans, the bandwagon ones anyway (not the long suffering ones who are a little more humble) get a bigger head from any success I find.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
At this point I'm so dead to the game of hockey that the success of the other Canadian teams doesn't bother me that much anymore.

While it's pretty unlikely there is a chance that the Oilers are the only Canadian team to not make the playoffs this season.

Walkingthroughforest

I got the worst ******* attorneys
Aug 19, 2007
Bet you wouldn't be saying that if the Oilers had actually had a decent team the last few years, and it was the Canucks that were always wimpy doormats.

No I think there's always been a mutual respect between our fanbases. We may dislike eachother, but we both have the history, the championships, and the HOF teams which contributed to the game. Almost like successful siblings.

Vancouver is paste eating rat who no one wants to be around and never became self aware enough to know why.

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
Nice comeback win by the Flames tonight, beating the Ducks in a shootout.

Don't they know that every win is going to require two more losses in order to tank as hard as us? You're only making it hard on yourselves, Flames.

We true Oilers fans know that you're only as good as we are. Yay team!

Gone

Fire KLowe
Aug 9, 2005
Earth
The Flames are a treat to watch; that is how to 'rebuild' folks.

Oilers Management is a joke. KLowe is a joke. MacT is a joke.

How will we look back on these two clowns - they will not be remembed for the glory days. Forever they will be known as the worst management group in the history of hockey, one that could very well destroy the franchise.

KLowe, your arrogance, your utter failure at managing a hockey team, and your life as a sycophant, is your mark on the Edmonton Oilers.

Walkingthroughforest

I got the worst ******* attorneys
Aug 19, 2007
Regardless if the Flames cool down and miss the playoffs this year, this should be more than enough justification to fire the entire Oilers hockey operations staff. You have a team which traded away their #1 defenseman, HOF forward, lost last years leading goal scorer to FA and their former Vezina goaltender retiring.

There is no excuse for the Oilers to be in this position if a team which three years ago had the worst prospect pool in the league is 14 points ahead of them two years into a rebuild.

Psychoil

Mar 10, 2011
Watched the third tonight. Flames played very well, inspired hockey really.... they are without a doubt better than the oilers. No question about it

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
The Flames are a treat to watch; that is how to 'rebuild' folks.

Oilers Management is a joke. KLowe is a joke. MacT is a joke.

How will we look back on these two clowns - they will not be remembed for the glory days. Forever they will be known as the worst management group in the history of hockey, one that could very well destroy the franchise.

KLowe, your arrogance, your utter failure at managing a hockey team, and your life as a sycophant, is your mark on the Edmonton Oilers.

I dislike Oilers management so much I that I'm actually enjoying watching the Flames management clown the Oilers management this bad

light-years better in every aspect of the two organizations...winning, experienced management...good coach that gets his players to play at the top of their game and BELIEVE they can win...and a good mix of grit and skill

doubt they sustain this pace (Wideman on pace for 28 goals...Giordano for 80+ points) but mad respect

even their scouting is starting to clown the Oilers...Brodie, Gaudreau, Granlund, Jooris, Bouwma

Oilers can't find a decent player past the 1st round in forever

and they're doing this without Backlund, Colborne and Raymond....impressive

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
I have a horrible confession. I actually cheered for the Flames in the 2004 Stanley Cup Final, really wanted Iginla to win the cup. That being said, I still mildly detest them now but really can't stand the Canucks. I think the reason is that both Edmonton and Calgary were dominant teams in the 80's and early 90's and both had to go through the same struggles. Years of just missing the playoffs or finishing 6-8th.

Even during the 80's the Flames were a better regular season team but couldn't really get it done in the playoffs. Now we're at the point where each team is rebuilding and the Flames are doing it right by surrounding their prized prospects with veteran support and hiring veteran coaches, GM and management. This is just embarrassing times for the Oiler's. At this point they should be contending for a playoff spot and not contending for 1st overall again.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
Its hilarious the difference is between both teams. I'm enjoying the flames play. Not cheering for them ever, but they play hockey that a fan can actually enjoy, instead of watching their **** own team who's ran by a bunch of morons. My buddy just converted to a flames fan after being an oilers fan for 15 years. Sad really. Way to go, oilers. Making the team who's supposed to be rebuilding look way better than you. **** you, Katz and old boys.

Gone

Fire KLowe
Aug 9, 2005
Earth
I dislike Oilers management so much I that I'm actually enjoying watching the Flames management clown the Oilers management this bad

light-years better in every aspect of the two organizations...winning, experienced management...good coach that gets his players to play at the top of their game and BELIEVE they can win...and a good mix of grit and skill

doubt they sustain this pace (Wideman on pace for 28 goals...Giordano for 80+ points) but mad respect

even their scouting is starting to clown the Oilers...Brodie, Gaudreau, Granlund, Jooris, Bouwma

Oilers can't find a decent player past the 1st round in forever

and they're doing this without Backlund, Colborne and Raymond....impressive

I would trade our scouting staff for theirs in a heart beat and throw in Eberle to sweeten the pot. I bet most fans here would do the same. How sad is that!

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
I would trade our scouting staff for theirs in a heart beat and throw in Eberle to sweeten the pot. I bet most fans here would do the same. How sad is that!

Just our scouting staff? How about we trade the whole management, including the owner. 6 rings is too busy daydreaming about the dynasty days, and Katz gives no damn about the team winning.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I'm indifferent. We're just outside looking in. We're irrelevant. Actually, I really respect both clubs for icing competitive teams.

Actually I meant the Flames and the Oilers.

Hell, I hate all the Canadian teams I guess.

Except the Jets. I'm indifferent to them.

NewBoysClub97*

All-Star
Jun 1, 2012
Vancouver
Brodie was unreal tonight. Really didn't know how good he was. Why can't we develop a guy like that!

4th round 114th overall. Sometimes you just gotta get lucky.

StoveTopStauffer

Apr 6, 2012
One day Edmonton may develop a Dman or two who can be minute munching top pairing type. We're trying the new age method (reference) of development from the nose bleed section. The more they watch Ference, Nikitin and Schultz the more they know what not to do.

McJeety McJeet

Nov 5, 2011
Edmonton
Absolutely detest the Canucks. I'm talking hate them with the heat of ten thousand suns. Will probably dislike the flames, but respect them, if we're every good at the same time. Right now they're honestly a treat to watch compared to our team, as sad as that sounds. They remind me so much of our late 90's or early 2000's teams. As for the flames being rebuilt properly sure I guess however I dont see them as a serious threat to top teams in the western conference (much like our 90's/2000's teams) now or in the near future. The flames have a nice mix of vets and young players and that's great and all but Giordano isn't going to be 32 forever, he'll slow down who will be there to pick up the role of a top ten defencemen? They don't grow on trees. The oilers are proof of this, have we had a true number one dman since Pronger? Nope, and it's not like klowe and MacT are saying 'no thanks' to finding that type of dman. They are hard to get.

oilinblood

Aug 8, 2009
Its hilarious the difference is between both teams. I'm enjoying the flames play. Not cheering for them ever, but they play hockey that a fan can actually enjoy, instead of watching their **** own team who's ran by a bunch of morons. My buddy just converted to a flames fan after being an oilers fan for 15 years. Sad really. Way to go, oilers. Making the team who's supposed to be rebuilding look way better than you. **** you, Katz and old boys.

Why would you continue to be a fan of a team that bores you?
I am a fan of good hockey. Period. I pay alot of attention to the oilers but they arent going anywhere or achieving anything under eakins other than trade requests.

The Bruins are my Eastern team and my fanship with the Oilers is put on hold because i know they dont have the coaching to get the most out of the decent roster. Its at the point where its so obviously the coaching that i decided to walk away from the team until its resolved. I dont want to get mad at the players...and i dont watch hockey to cheer a terrible system and ineffective coaching that cant prepare their team.
I will be supporting the flames and their hard nosed hockey and determination and spirit.
Infact id say any oilers fan supporting this team right now is supporting the lack of heart, intensity and professionalism. Its that simple.

I dont support those qualities.

I will cheer hall when he finally does the same and tells management he cant continue with the rubberducky kids gameplan eakins system. At some point we have to realize a system of hockey played by five year olds does not work in the nhl and that a coach who cant properly do the job at this level should be fired(he cant set emotional tones, prepare his team, line match, recognize small momentum swings, evaluate a players game level on a nightly basis, recognize concentration levels, recognize weaknesses in oppposing systems, adjust lines for players whos styles are condusive to the opponents system)

Anyone still crying about this team is one of those weirdos that dates a loser girl (in the oilers case its a crack head, walking on 118th ave kind of loser) because you think she is hot and might be able to turn it around. Nothing is turning around until the oilers get a coach.

My point is...you do it to yourself. Go listen to Radioheads song Just.
You should only support what makes you happy.
The oilers in the 90s made me happy...win or loss...this team just blows. For me its the coaching and system. I think the roster is good and should have been in a good position to add to its roster this season but yet another season where the coach couldnt even tread water.
It is what it is.
When this team has a decent coach that just puts a team out prepared for playing standard hockey everynight, works his bench, and sets the tone...this team will be competitive. They will not be competitive under eakins.

Last edited:

oilinblood

Aug 8, 2009
Brodie was unreal tonight. Really didn't know how good he was. Why can't we develop a guy like that!

4th round 114th overall. Sometimes you just gotta get lucky.

Hartley and Gio have alot to do with his development.
Its been fun to watch.
Definitely something justin schultz has not had in his three wasted nhl seasons.
Its not about ice time. Its not just randomly filling a quota for time on ice. Its being played in specific moments based on the opponent and evaluation of the players own play. Its players being played MORE when they are having a successful night...evaluating how they are having success versus the opponent and getting them in situations where they can continue it. Yet not only coaching for the player but also out coaching the other coach who will make adjustments to try to counter you.

Last edited:

Fat Balloon

Jan 20, 2010
Ive caught bits of some Flames games his season.
One thing Ive noticed is that the players look like they are having fun and enjoying playing hockey. This is so different than when you watch an Oilers game. I guess thats the difference between winning and continuosly losing year after year.

I really worry what all this losing will do to a player like Hall. Im sure Lowe, MacT and Eakins keep reassuring Hall that the team is almost there and ready to turn into a contender.

But when Hall sees what the team to the south is doing, how does that affect him mentally? He doesnt live in a void so he must see the early success a team predicted to be the worst in the leaugue is having this season. Im worried that at some point he checks out mentally. Best case is that he asks for Eakins to be fired. Worst case is that he asks for a trade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad