Oilers Ahead of the Flames

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moose Coleman

Apr 12, 2012
2014-15 Flames are the 2013-14 Avs, who were the 2012-13 Leafs.

giphy.gif

Oilfan2

13.5%
Aug 12, 2005
2014-15 Flames are the 2013-14 Avs, who were the 2012-13 Leafs.

giphy.gif

Possibly...

It's also possible, because it's only 15 games into an 82 game schedule, they end up near the bottom, like the Oil did a couple of season's ago after a good start..

Chyep

Jesus saves, sign em
Nov 11, 2013
Calgary
Possibly...

It's also possible, because it's only 15 games into an 82 game schedule, they end up near the bottom, like the Oil did a couple of season's ago after a good start..
I think that's probable, not unlike last season for them. Thought you guys could use a pick me up.

Obviously someone has based this largely off of advanced stats.

Chyep

Jesus saves, sign em
Nov 11, 2013
Calgary
Feels more like a bait thread to be honest. As proven by his follow up comment. No one cares enough to take the bait though. lol

Edit: Guess that comment was removed.
Not here to poke the bear. Someone else had already made mention of it before the removed post.

I'm just looking forward to the day when the battle of Alberta means something again. Will be at least a few more years for the Flames.

JJTopper

Registered Creeper
Jul 11, 2002
Visit site
Not here to poke the bear. Someone else had already made mention of it before the removed post.

I'm just looking forward to the day when the battle of Alberta means something again. Will be at least a few more years for the Flames.

Alright, then my bad. I too look forward to Alberta being an unfriendly place to visit again. :naughty:

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Who cares about that **** are we winning in Corsi and Fenwick?

Last edited by a moderator:

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Was a single game even watched?

Flames have an Elite top 2Dmen pairing, consistently solid goaltending, and a bunch of promising forwards who outwork opposition, which is way more than what the Oilers have right now.

AFAIK they earned their wins.

Oilfan2

13.5%
Aug 12, 2005
Was a single game even watched?

Flames have an Elite top 2Dmen pairing, consistently solid goaltending, and a bunch of promising forwards who outwork opposition, which is way more than what the Oilers have right now.

AFAIK they earned their wins.

Flames have an elite top 1...Brodie is ok but most would look good playing with Gio at the moment.
Good goaltending that may or may not last.
Sure, they do work hard but I'm not sure how long that can last either.

They're regularely out shot by teams, including the last two against Florida and Carolina. I wouldn't be too comfortable or cocky if I were a Flames fan.

I don't think they're for real but could get lucky like the Avs for a season. Let's see how things look later in the year.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
lolol this will rile up CP. I love it

Even tho I agree the Flames are better then the Oilers right now

Hate to bring in advanced stats, but their PDO is league high and possession numbers league low *cough* Toronto, Colorado

The Oilers are league low PDO and leage average possession numbers

I expect the Oilers to improve and Flames to regress a touch. But unsure if Edmonton catches calg

UglyStupidAds

Sep 17, 2005
Edmonton
Yeah I'm not sure the title needs to be what it is. Oilers are 25th in power rankings.

Frankly though the rankings place too much emphasis on fancy stats. Yes the Flames are getting more luck than the Oilers. But in many ways when looking at advanced stats "luck" is generated by a team's play.

The Flames (to my eye) have an aggressive and strong forecheck. This allows them to turn pucks over and generate excellent scoring chances. Subsequently their shooting percentage may be higher which might fall under "luck" when looking at PDO.

Inversely the Oilers are profoundly talented at generating bad "luck" by turning the puck over in dangerous places (see Petry, J. against the Rangers) and don't do a lot to generate good "luck".

I would put the Flames ahead of the Oilers for sure.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
Remember the Law of Averages Fairy! She'll visit each and every team bringing bright and shiny statistical gifts... some like coal, some like candy :)

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
The power rankings is just a list to insert funny stuff into. I lol'ed several times.

And does anyone know why the Flames get outshot heavily at even strength? Because they have the lead. Not because they're a bad team. Corsi? Fenwick? PDO? **** off with that nerd ****.

Worraps

Oct 23, 2011
Edmonton
All of this the "Flames are actually a good team" talk is hilarious.

As at November 12, 2014 the Flames are 9-6-2.

Does anyone here remember November 12, 2011 when the Oilers were 9-5-2 and people were posting how the Oil didn't need to outshoot teams because Eberle-RNH-Hall were so skilled and Khabibulin was amazing?

Anyone remember how that season turned out?

smiley.jpg

Moose Coleman

Apr 12, 2012
The power rankings is just a list to insert funny stuff into. I lol'ed several times.

And does anyone know why the Flames get outshot heavily at even strength? Because they have the lead. Not because they're a bad team. Corsi? Fenwick? PDO? **** off with that nerd ****.

Oooh ooh I know this one!

"And they take high-quality shots while keeping their opponents to the outside."

Yawn.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
I think the Flames are a much better team than they should be judging from the roster. There is an interesting blog on hockeybuzz at the moment that warns the fanbase from planning the parade.

Flames have a MUCH better coach and management than the Oilers but that's not exactly a ringing endorsement. I do not believe that their organization and prospect depth is enough to make a team that can consistently make the playoffs.

As a betting man I would think even with their good start Calgary misses the playoffs.

I watched the Calgary Canes game the other night, as well as bits and pieces of other games, and can not say I've been overly impressed by the Flames. They are certainly getting a bit of puck luck. They are this years Colorado Avalanche.

In short they are a much better team than I (or anyone else) thought they would be, but even if they beat the odds and make a brief playoff appearance this year I think they are a long ways off from being considered a good team.

The Oilers in my opinion just need clear out management and bring in a really good GM/coaching staff and starting next year "should" be a playoff contending team for a significant block of years.

guzzy

Jul 6, 2005
Flames have an elite top 1...Brodie is ok but most would look good playing with Gio at the moment.
Good goaltending that may or may not last.
Sure, they do work hard but I'm not sure how long that can last either.

They're regularely out shot by teams, including the last two against Florida and Carolina. I wouldn't be too comfortable or cocky if I were a Flames fan.

I don't think they're for real but could get lucky like the Avs for a season. Let's see how things look later in the year.

Brodie is average....thats funny:yo:. Brodie is a clear number one on the oilers. The guy has great positioning and skates better than 90% of the dmen in the league. He is also smart and knows the game. Sorry,not hear to bash any team...but this post made me laugh

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad