Oilers Ahead of the Flames

Status
Not open for further replies.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Can we just close this topic? It seems like an invitation for trolling.

Note to Flames fans: We know we suck and we know you're doing really good right now. No need to rub it in.

Pizza the Hutt

Game 6 Truther
Mar 22, 2012
'absolutely Hiller can maintain a .925!'
'Half our roster shooting above league average? Great shot quality!'
'Giordano on pace for 90 points? Just showing the potential he's had all this time!'

Hiller maintained a .924 in 2010. So a .925 would simply be a return to form. Not that uncanny.

Giordano had .73 PPG last year. He, and the flames, are better and playing better this year. So if he plays the full season, I wouldn't be surprised to see 70-80 points. (if he stays healthy, which is unlikely.)

If you were to take a moment and calm down, you'd see that these stats aren't as outrageous as you seem to think they are.

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
Hiller maintained a .924 in 2010. So a .925 would simply be a return to form. Not that uncanny.

Giordano had .73 PPG last year. He, and the flames, are better and playing better this year. So if he plays the full season, I wouldn't be surprised to see 70-80 points. (if he stays healthy, which is unlikely.)

If you were to take a moment and calm down, you'd see that these stats aren't as outrageous as you seem to think they are.

Giordano hitting 80 points would be unsurprising? :help:

:laugh::laugh:

Pizza the Hutt

Game 6 Truther
Mar 22, 2012
Giordano hitting 80 points would be unsurprising? :help:

:laugh::laugh:

Firstly, I said 70-80. But seeing as Giordano has the same amount of points as the entire Oilers D, I can see why this might be difficult to understand.

I'll make one last attempt to break down why it wouldn't be surprising. Exceptional? Yes, incredibly. But not too surprising.

If Giordano gets points at the same pace he did last year, that's a 60 point season. Is 60 points from him a crazy idea? No, of course not. 70 is realistic. Anything more, i.e., 70-80. Is icing on the cake.

Edit: this is obviously tempered under the idea that he plays a full season, which as I said, is highly unlikely.

Worraps

Oct 23, 2011
Edmonton
CP linked this and warned me not to come but, well, I just can't help myself:naughty:

First off, either of the flames second pairing would slide into the Oilers top pairing with no problem.

Secondly, Flames were only outplayed badly twice this year, Chi as noted we stole and in Carolina the other night (last game of a 5 game road trip) but they also lost 2 games where they were clearly the best team, first MTL and Tampa games.

Thirdly, Anaheim let Hiller go because of money(internal cap) as well as having two really nice young goalies.

Last, stop talking bounces, flames don't get anymore than anyone else. they are succeeding because they have a good offence(2nd GF in the west) a good defensive game(8th GA in the west) and solid goaltending. It's no fluke!

Flames fans don't expect a playoff berth even after a good start, what we like is the progression of the youth and the direction the team is going in. the west is just too damn tough to get a playoff berth in.

Mmm hmm...

B1uW6aiIYAAoKKg.png:large

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
Mmm hmm...

B1uW6aiIYAAoKKg.png:large

Last night was yet another fine example. Thought I'd tune in for the 3rd because it was tied 1-1. What did I see? Anderson went full Scrivens (you never go full Scrivens) and twice mishandled the puck, giving the Flames partially empty net goals. Outside of that, Ottawa looked like the better team. Turris, on multiple occasions, played Moses and parted the Red D. The Sens moved the puck better and had the better chances.

I will say the Flames skated hard and were in first on a lot of loose pucks (Byron is blazing fast), but in terms of skill, the Sens were far superior. It is perplexing to see them winning these games. But, for the time being, they get the bragging rights. Just gonna wait this out for the wheels to fall off.

Chyep

Jesus saves, sign em
Nov 11, 2013
Calgary
Last night was yet another fine example. Thought I'd tune in for the 3rd because it was tied 1-1. What did I see? Anderson went full Scrivens (you never go full Scrivens) and twice mishandled the puck, giving the Flames partially empty net goals. Outside of that, Ottawa looked like the better team. Turris, on multiple occasions, played Moses and parted the Red D. The Sens moved the puck better and had the better chances.

I will say the Flames skated hard and were in first on a lot of loose pucks (Byron is blazing fast), but in terms of skill, the Sens were far superior. It is perplexing to see them winning these games. But, for the time being, they get the bragging rights. Just gonna wait this out for the wheels to fall off.
Shots on goal last night were 25 - 25. 14 of Ottawa's shots came on 6 minutes of power play time. Calgary had 2 shots in 4 minutes of power play time. Even strength shots were 23 - 11 for Calgary.

Trae

Calgary
I don't believe either team is making playoffs this year unfortunately, it's okay guys, we can wait this out together!

tinfish

Jul 6, 2011
Edmonton
I don't believe either team is making playoffs this year unfortunately, it's okay guys, we can wait this out together!

If Calgary continues to play as hard as they are through the first 15 games I think they will at least sneak into 7th or 8th. The pace they're at is not realistic, but I think with Gio and Brodie and some solid goaltending. I think they make the playoffs, and maybe surprise a team in the first round.

Trae

Calgary
If Calgary continues to play as hard as they are through the first 15 games I think they will at least sneak into 7th or 8th. The pace they're at is not realistic, but I think with Gio and Brodie and some solid goaltending. I think they make the playoffs, and maybe surprise a team in the first round.

Yeah, I suppose it's possible, and obviously I hope for that, but my personal belief is both teams finish outside and draft between 8-12, perhaps back to back picks like the last couple years hah.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Don't doubt the impact of a minute munching top pairing that can play all the toughest opposition and still put up points and the impact of a top end goalie. Two things the Flames have and the Oilers don't even come close to having. Last time we had those we got to game 7 of the cup finals (although we lost the goalie part along the way).

tinfish

Jul 6, 2011
Edmonton
Yeah, I suppose it's possible, and obviously I hope for that, but my personal belief is both teams finish outside and draft between 8-12, perhaps back to back picks like the last couple years hah.

I appreciate that you are a humble and polite flames fan. But these are two teams that are headed in the opposite direction. You guys are 5th in the west. We are 16th. You're 10 points ahead, with 1 game in hand. We have not won a single game against our entire conference. Our goal differential is 25 goals in your favour!

Calgary finishes between 7-10.

Edmonton finishes between 12-14

Last edited:

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
I laugh at some of you thinking we aren't capable of making the playoffs. We aren't winning because of Hiller or Giordano. We are winning because we are playing a team game, everyone is contributing. And the biggest reason of all is Bob Hartley, how he is able to get every player to play 100%. That's why we are winning.

Will we win a playoff round? We'd be lucky to.
Will we win the cup? Absolutely not.

Worraps

Oct 23, 2011
Edmonton
I laugh at some of you thinking we aren't capable of making the playoffs. We aren't winning because of Hiller or Giordano. We are winning because we are playing a team game, everyone is contributing. And the biggest reason of all is Bob Hartley, how he is able to get every player to play 100%. That's why we are winning.

sports.png

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
Can we just close this topic? It seems like an invitation for trolling.

Note to Flames fans: We know we suck and we know you're doing really good right now. No need to rub it in.

I'm gonna quote this again because it's completely on point. MODS PLZ

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
I detest the Flames, but I have to really respect what management down there has done so far. Instead of rebuilding with high draft picks and relying on young players to lead their team like the Oilers do, they have some very important and key veteran players who help lead the way. And their coach can get the most out of their players.

Hi Oiler management, the Flames are making you look pretty damn bad.

Last edited:

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
Don't doubt the impact of a minute munching top pairing that can play all the toughest opposition and still put up points and the impact of a top end goalie. Two things the Flames have and the Oilers don't even come close to having. Last time we had those we got to game 7 of the cup finals (although we lost the goalie part along the way).

Actually, this is a good point (as much as I hate to admit it). Giordano is playing on the same level as prime Pronger right now. It's a scary thought, but if he keeps up this level of play all year (as well as Hiller), it's not out of the realm of possibility. That said, we had a pretty good group of vet forwards that year. Hemsky-Horcoff-Smyth played like a legit top line. Stoll and Peca as the 2-3C's. Still a few pieces missing in the Calgary equation if you ask me.

Yes, I'm sure Josh Jooris and Joe Colbourne play just as key a role as Giordano and Hiller.

Giordano: GP19 6-15-21 +8 First in point scoring among D, tied for 5th in league point scoring.

Hiller (among starters): 7th in wins, 12th in GAA, 10th in Sv%

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say these guys factor in just a tad more. Not saying Hartley isn't a great coach, or that the effort hasn't been fantastic top to bottom, but having a stud D man and a goalie playing at a high level are pretty important.

NewBoysClub97*

All-Star
Jun 1, 2012
Vancouver
I'm curious to see how the Flames do in the next 10 games. They have played 2 WC playof teams from last year so far.

God teams beat non playoff teams though. So far so good for the Flames. I don't think they will do that bad. I can see them going 0.500

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
The sad part is that I don't even care that the Flames are so much better than the Oilers right now. Normally, that would piss me off. But now, its just like whatever.. what team isn't better than the Oilers? I used to get angry when opposing fans mocked and made fun of the Oilers and stood up for them. Now, I can't even stand up for the Oilers anymore. You would just look like a fool trying to back up this organization.

Trae

Calgary
It doesn't bother me either. I'd say Vancouver is the team I truly detest. That's about it.

Yep.

I appreciate that you are a humble and polite flames fan. But these are two teams that are headed in the opposite direction. You guys are 5th in the west. We are 16th. You're 10 points ahead, with 1 game in hand. We have not won a single game against our entire conference. Our goal differential is 25 goals in your favour!

Calgary finishes between 7-10.

Edmonton finishes between 12-14

Honestly, it really isn't that I'm trying to be polite or anything, it's just how I view the teams. I'm really happy with Calgary's current roster and prospects, but I just look at this situation as one team overachieving and another underachieving. Ultimately I just believe they will meet somewhere in the middle, especially considering Calgary's upcoming schedule, I truly believe the California teams are going to bring us down to reality.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad