Post-Game Talk: Oilers 4 Habs 3 McDavid is the hero we need. Drai not bad either

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
This is the first time in his entire career, including Eakins, where he's putting up significantly more assists than goals. It'd be bizarre if his improved play didn't lead to a significant up-tick in shots taken, given the power behind his shots.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=130572

I also think his shooting percentage under Eakins is lower than what his 'norm' is. Like the rest of his play under the Eakins plague. 20% is likely too high for him to maintain (Rookie Season), but I expect him to return to league average numbers at least.

You may be right.

I could also see his assists being higher than his goals this year simply due to playing with McDavid who will finish what he sends his way. Yak is an underrated passer.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
You may be right.

I could also see his assists being higher than his goals this year simply due to playing with McDavid who will finish what he sends his way. Yak is an underrated passer.

He is definitely an underrated passer, but I'm including his jr and KHL numbers here. In junior he had a pretty talented player in Galchenyuk to pass to. And overall, that's a pretty huge sample size where he's been a goal scorer. He might end up closer to 40% goals 60% assists instead of his usual 50-50, but I really doubt it stays 20% goals 80% assists.

Halibut

Jul 24, 2010
Well they never should have bid for the NHL rights in the first place then. If Baseball is their cash cow, run with it, and let TSN have the NHL rights. I'd let Bravo have the rights if they could produce good production values, and some ****ing local content.

Oh man what I wouldnt give to have the Oilers on TSN. I'm on Shaw and it's easy to find the line of TSN1-5 all after each other in the guide and easy to sort through even if you dont know which one it's on but to figure out which SN channel the Oilers are on is just a chore of flipping all over the dial.

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
One thing I learned from last night.. never turn off an Oilers game this year.. even if they look horrible and are down by 3 or 4 goals.

oilz89*

I agree with all of this. Just saying that I think players like Klefbom and Sekera, who have made seeming 'bone-headed' plays at times and have people on this forum frothing at the mouth, are only looking bad at those times due to playing above their heads. Just like Petry, if they have someone better than them to cover their mistakes, they'll suddenly look like real good middle pairing guys IMO. The complaints will evaporate.

in 11 games, Klef has 1 goal 4 assists dunno his +/-
in 11 games, Sekera has 4 assists and even.

Its not as bad as people are saying

oilz89*

I wonder with the way Lander and Letestu have been if we'll see Yakimov called up next. He would definitely beef up the top nine and apparently he is a beast in the face off circle. Lander better get his **** together if possible.

This is Todd Mclellan and Peter Chiarelli. Not moronic "bold move" MacT who would do something that stupid. Lander has been slow going but letestu has been fine. he wont 12 of 14 FO's this game

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
The Habs GDT is all kinds of hilarious. Its interesting reading through the meltdown and the related OMG posts...:laugh:

To their credit most of the posters there realize the Oilers are the Habs Kryptonite anyway.

One comment was interesting. Like the game changed after McDavid snow plowed Price. Wasn't accidental on Connors part either. Just interesting gamesmanship by the kid.

I know Connors parents say he is "an old soul" but his maturity is ridiculous. Its like he invented hockey.

I saw a brief reference to the snow job in yesterdays GDT, just before turning off the game. Who'd a thought an 18 year old would have such old school sensibilities.....particularly this day and age. That says allot about how he's studied the game and his intuition IMO.

Anyone have a clip of it?

oilz89*

Baseball is 'IN' right now and Sportsnet is getting massive ratings boosts from it, so they are tailoring their product to what people are demonstrating they want. How is this confusing?

Baseball is the worst sport ever. How is it even a sport? A bunch of fat dudes could play it in the MLB. How is a baseball player even an athlete?

oilz89*

As much as I love Yakupov's game right now, I'd like to see him start scoring more goals. He's a natural goalscorer and there's no reason he shouldn't be potting them.

Oh noess he's getting points but not goals omg he's not ready :shakehead

Oilers93

Apr 27, 2012
Edmonton
Baseball is the worst sport ever. How is it even a sport? A bunch of fat dudes could play it in the MLB. How is a baseball player even an athlete?

I'm sure some "fat dude" could make a play like this, right?

PillarCatch041015.gif

doulos

Oct 4, 2007

Sure, I mean whatever turns your crank is fine by me. I was just explaining why Baseball highlights are so popular right now.

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton

Try throwing a ball as hard as you can 100 times and see how you're doing. Not to mention they throw twice as hard as you without even trying. Then go to a batting cage and crank it up to 70 mph and see how many times you make contact, let alone hitting the ball with any power. Then up it another 30 mph and you'll have an idea of why baseball players are athletes.

Hitting a 100 mph fastball over the fence might be the most difficult thing to do in all of sports.

KlimasLoveChild

Feb 25, 2012
This is Todd Mclellan and Peter Chiarelli. Not moronic "bold move" MacT who would do something that stupid. Lander has been slow going but letestu has been fine. he wont 12 of 14 FO's this game

:laugh:....Maclellan has already said he isn't going to tolerate the same mistakes happening over and over. Lander has already lost his check back to the net for tap in goals several times this year. First step is a benching which happened last night. Next step is a replacement. :huh:... Is the intelligent move to keep throwing him out there while he continues to make the same mistakes?.... I'm sure he'll get another try but if that happens again next game he may be demoted. I can even see leon shifting to third line center to fill in. I hope Lander picks it up but he has looked dreadful so far.

Oilers93

Apr 27, 2012
Edmonton
Meh its not a sport I can watch. I'd rather watch Lacrosse but thats just me

That's fair, but don't assume that just because a few MLB players are in poor shape (most often DH's or relief pitchers) doesn't mean it requires no athletic ability.

DisgruntledGoat*

Dec 26, 2010
in 11 games, Klef has 1 goal 4 assists dunno his +/-
in 11 games, Sekera has 4 assists and even.

Its not as bad as people are saying

Klefbom, I think, is falling victim to what we Oiler fans do to every talented young player: inflate expectationsway too high, way too quickly and then call it a disappointment when those expectations aren't met. It especially doesn't help when there's a shiny new toy incoming (Nurse) and everyone wants to move on to him.

There's been the odd rough patch so far but I'm encouraged by his play in general. Also don't think Schultz is the easiest guy to play with which maybe hasn't helped his cause.

Three Oilers who have drawn some criticism on here who I, personally, have been OK with: Klef, Hall and Pouliot*

* braindead penalties aside.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad