Post-Game Talk: Oilers 4 Habs 3 McDavid is the hero we need. Drai not bad either

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
What a bass-ackwards and typically sportsnet way to look at things. Ratings dropping in hockey couldn't possibly be because their coverage is terrible. No, it's because baseball is in in Canada now!!! I'd be shocked if they've maintained even half the ratings for the MLB playoffs without the jays still in it. But I'm sure that's not how the illustrious planners at sportsnet look at it.

I'm seriously considering getting a hockey streams account and cancelling my TV, lol.

edit: What? A streaming service you pay for online is blocked out on this site? Really?

Baseball is 'IN' right now and Sportsnet is getting massive ratings boosts from it, so they are tailoring their product to what people are demonstrating they want. How is this confusing?

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
The Jays playoff games smashed Sportsnet ratings records and their hockey ratings are still dropping I believe. It should not be surprising at all that baseball is currently getting more air time.

Probably doesn't help that the Leafs suck, while the Jays draw all of Canada, whereas hockey viewership among the Canadian teams is always going to be splintered several ways.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
If it wasn't for hockey, I would have cancelled my cable a long time ago. I just don't like watching hockey on my computer.

Should just connect your PC to your television and then you have the best of both worlds. It works well for me.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
The Habs GDT is all kinds of hilarious. Its interesting reading through the meltdown and the related OMG posts...:laugh:

To their credit most of the posters there realize the Oilers are the Habs Kryptonite anyway.

One comment was interesting. Like the game changed after McDavid snow plowed Price. Wasn't accidental on Connors part either. Just interesting gamesmanship by the kid.

I know Connors parents say he is "an old soul" but his maturity is ridiculous. Its like he invented hockey.

McOvechking

Apr 28, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
The Habs GDT is all kinds of hilarious. Its interesting reading through the meltdown and the related OMG posts...:laugh:

To their credit most of the posters there realize the Oilers are the Habs Kryptonite anyway.

One comment was interesting. Like the game changed after McDavid snow plowed Price. Wasn't accidental on Connors part either. Just interesting gamesmanship by the kid.

I know Connors parents say he is "an old soul" but his maturity is ridiculous. Its like he invented hockey

This is such a great way of putting it. He understands all the intricacies of the game. He understands the way every player plays the game. He knows where the puck is going to be, where he needs to be, and where his linemates are likely to be.

I'm not being hyperbolic when I say he reminds me a lot of Gretzky.

KlefDown

I adore Soli
May 2, 2014
What I like about Yaks this year is, he wasn't given anything, he's earned everything he's gotten up to this point.
10 points in 11 games all well deserved.

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint
Baseball is 'IN' right now and Sportsnet is getting massive ratings boosts from it, so they are tailoring their product to what people are demonstrating they want. How is this confusing?

Well they never should have bid for the NHL rights in the first place then. If Baseball is their cash cow, run with it, and let TSN have the NHL rights. I'd let Bravo have the rights if they could produce good production values, and some ****ing local content.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014

You missed my point. I believe it was 'in' while the Jays were making their run. I am very skeptical that it's still 'in' now that they're out. I was hearing about the Jays every day, now I barely even see Baseball on TV at the bars. The order is back to its usual priority of NHL -> NFL -> NBA -> MLB. If you have numbers that disprove what I'm saying, fine. But I am super skeptical until I see hard numbers myself.

(p.s. I am in Ontario, so if any province is going to care about Baseball, it's going to be this one.)

CO, I agree with you. I'm weird and like to have my hockey on TV, haha. Might have to switch to a dedicated 'tv' box and my gaming/work computer though.

McOvechking

Apr 28, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
What I like about Yaks this year is, he wasn't given anything, he's earned everything he's gotten up to this point.
10 points in 11 games all well deserved.

As much as I love Yakupov's game right now, I'd like to see him start scoring more goals. He's a natural goalscorer and there's no reason he shouldn't be potting them.

oilz89*

Big difference from last year to this year. When down going into the intermission it appears this coach has found a way to get a game plan out to the players.

Real good win by the boys yesterday.

If it was Eakins, "Chop more water and carry more wood!!!"

KlefDown

I adore Soli
May 2, 2014
As much as I love Yakupov's game right now, I'd like to see him start scoring more goals. He's a natural goalscorer and there's no reason he shouldn't be potting them.
I agree. but he's shooting at 7% right now. It'll be fine when he spikes to the league average ~13%-15%

oilerbear

Jun 2, 2008
Anyone else think it could be possible we end up kinda like Ottawa last year where once they decided to rely on their youth instead of their vets they massively improved?

VETS????
18-20 Pre core development
21-23 Core development
24-26 Adult mass development
27-31 Plateau pahse
32+ decline phase

Forwards:
------------------- 32+ decline
Ference 36
Hendricks 34yr #1 PK Fwd we miss him.
------------------------27-31 plateau
Letestu 30yr #73 PK fwd
Purcell 30yr
Korpikoski 29yr
Pouliot 29yr ona 35G season pace
Sekera 29yr
Fayne 28yr
Gryba 27 yr
------------------ 24-26 adult mass
Gazdic 26yr
Eberle 25yr
Schultz 25yr 36 PK dman
Lander 24 yr # 69 PK Fwd
Pakirinen 24yr
Davidson 24yr
------------------21-23 core
Hall 23yr
RNH 22yr
Yakupov 22yr
Klefbom 22yr #22 PK Dman
Slepyshev 21yr
Reinhart 21yr
------------------ pre core 18-20
Draisatl 20yr
Nurse 20yr
Mcdavid 20yr

Nice opinion!

Opinion: def; A point of view not based on knowledge or fact.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
I agree. but he's shooting at 7% right now. It'll be fine when he spikes to the league average ~13%-15%

He's shooting about where he usually does, maybe a touch under. I wouldn't expect a huge increase in goals.

TheRebuild

Bold as Boognish
Jun 12, 2014
Winter

Exactly. Baseball is "IN" in Canada now, just like the Habs are the BEST team in hockey.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
He's shooting about where he usually does, maybe a touch under. I wouldn't expect a huge increase in goals.

This is the first time in his entire career, including Eakins, where he's putting up significantly more assists than goals. It'd be bizarre if his improved play didn't lead to a significant up-tick in shots taken, given the power behind his shots.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=130572

I also think his shooting percentage under Eakins is lower than what his 'norm' is. Like the rest of his play under the Eakins plague. 20% is likely too high for him to maintain (Rookie Season), but I expect him to return to league average numbers at least.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad