Post-Game Talk: Oilers 4 Habs 3 McDavid is the hero we need. Drai not bad either

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
You didn't miss anything. They did one short interview, then cut to sobbing about the Jays.

Sportsnet WEST!

Sigh. They really should have a post game show with post game interviews, and the coach's post game presser after every single game. What with their six thousand channels and all. I hate SN.

I should have been clearer in my post-lol, the game went over the scheduled end time and I missed the last 6 minutes. I usually record the next show in case there is OT or the game goes longer (thanks to Carey and his skate problems) and I forgot! :rant::rant:

Fully agree with what you said though, that would be awesome.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
I think we are seeing a team that might be able to outscore their defensive issues on occassion. However this team still has issues with structure.

Hard not to be exicted about the team when we call up LD and Nurse and they play as well as they have, but also have arguably our second best forward injured and about to come back, and a newly acquired blue chip D prospect also injured and ready to come back. I really like the core of this team and I think Nurse/Reinhart will be ready to be impactful sooner than we think. I know we say "wait 2 years for Nurse" but I think hes ready to step up this season. Hell have rough patches sure, but he looks very good

Not enough can be said about McDavid- hes perfect in everyway. Hes smart, quick, skilled, everything good in a hockey player. At 18 hes already either winning us games, or putting us in a spot to win them. Wed be utterly screwed without him (knock on wood)

This was a very fun game to watch, however the 3 goal deficit is alarming and needs to stop. We cant rely on these Flames style comebacks in the third

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
To be honest that's what hockey should be like. Eastern Conference hockey is simply more entertaining and more true to what the sport should be IMO.

All the "Western grinding" is bull **** IMO. It's nothing but removing skill and excitement from the game. There's still plenty of physical play in the East (probably better hits honestly), it just doesn't define the games.

The NHL really needs to look at their sport and push the rules to favor a north-west style of game. 3-on-3 OT is a start, but they need to be able to to do something with 5-on-5 play as well.

If I'm paying $200 for a ticket I want to see the best players on the ice perform, and by and large IMO last night we got to see some amazing things from McDavid, Draisaitl, RNH, Hall, Subban, Price, Gallagher, etc. That's how it should be.

Hockey is *meant* to be a north-south style of game.

THANK. YOU. I'm glad I'm not the only one on this board who thinks this...

McDeathbyCheerios*

THANK. YOU. I'm glad I'm not the only one on this board who thinks this...
I do as well. Winning is all fine and dandy but after a win I wanna be excited and scream **** ya that was awesome. Not go. Cool, we won 2-1.

KlimasLoveChild

Feb 25, 2012
I wonder with the way Lander and Letestu have been if we'll see Yakimov called up next. He would definitely beef up the top nine and apparently he is a beast in the face off circle. Lander better get his **** together if possible.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
I do as well. Winning is all fine and dandy but after a win I wanna be excited and scream **** ya that was awesome. Not go. Cool, we won 2-1.

I get what you guys are saying, but the exciting hockey is there when it matters. That 2014 WCF between the Kings-Hawks was some of the best hockey I have ever watched. It had offense and defense through all seven games. Much higher quality than anything the East has produced recently.

I think the travel schedule in the West lends itself to the grind out the wins style we see in the regular season. The game would open up a lot if the 2005-06 officiating standards were rigorously applied again; however, are fans ready for the massive amount of special teams play that would result from another clamp down on obstruction?

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
I get what you guys are saying, but the exciting hockey is there when it matters. That 2014 WCF between the Kings-Hawks was some of the best hockey I have ever watched. It had offense and defense through all seven games. Much higher quality than anything the East has produced recently.

I think the travel schedule in the West lends itself to the grind out the wins style we see in the regular season. The game would open up a lot if the 2005-06 officiating standards were rigorously applied again; however, are fans ready for the massive amount of special teams play that would result from another clamp down on obstruction?

Maybe I'm not the average fan, but I'm sure as **** ready for it. I'd LOVE the refs to start calling things again. It starts with much slower games and a lot of penalties called, but it then will turn into much better free flowing hockey instead of the dead puck clutch and grab 2.0 crap we have now.

As for the Kings-Hawks, that was exciting because the Hawks opened the games up. If the Kings had their way, they would've grinded that series out like they did the rest of their run to the cup that year. I hated every other one of their series' that year. I'd much rather watch Eastern Conference matchups and usually do come playoff time. Even the low scoring Rangers-Caps series' have been more fun for me to watch.

As an aside, maybe we should move this discussion to my new West vs East thread? :D

slaman

McOilers Fan
Oct 22, 2010
Toronto
This was an insane game. I was swearing and cursing at the Oilers after the first... completely underwhelmed by the effort and mental lapses, but then... Conner McDavid (and Nurse).

We beat the TOP TEAM IN THE LEAGUE! Woooooo Oilers!

The good:
* Conner McDavid is definitely one of the best in the league already
* Darnell Nurse was phenomenal - I don't know why more people don't talk about his amazing rushes... he seems to be more offensively-aware than I hear people giving him credit for
* Yakapov, other than one awful pass in the D-zone played... wait for it... smart hockey
* Hall is a driver on this team and always bring full effort - sometimes his effort pays off and sometimes it leads to give-aways, but he is definitely core to this team
* Davidson redeems himself after an awful start to the season... he seemed to still panic in his zone but then settled down and started making calmer plays. Plus, what a shot!

The meh:
* Sekera and Klefbom weren't forces or game-changers. They both had bad plays and are struggling to make a break-out pass
* Draisaitl - I know he was the hero and scored twice, but he looked to struggle to keep up to Hall and made too many non-connecting passes while in prime locations... I didn't see his usual strong game today, but I expect it was just nerves. He'll be a great addition
* Ference - not THAT bad - he didn't take a bad penalty and give away a goal - I guess that's a successful night for him though?

The bad:
* RNH was awful today - yes, he made a great play at the end, but that doesn't excuse his missed coverage, lack of offensive creation, and just general malaise for most of the game - I disagree with people who say he was great
* Lander probably needs to sit for a game - he missed his man on a goal and just seems to be fighting the puck

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
This was an insane game. I was swearing and cursing at the Oilers after the first... completely underwhelmed by the effort and mental lapses, but then... Conner McDavid (and Nurse).

We beat the TOP TEAM IN THE LEAGUE! Woooooo Oilers!

The good:
* Conner McDavid is definitely one of the best in the league already
* Darnell Nurse was phenomenal - I don't know why more people don't talk about his amazing rushes... he seems to be more offensively-aware than I hear people giving him credit for
* Yakapov, other than one awful pass in the D-zone played... wait for it... smart hockey
* Hall is a driver on this team and always bring full effort - sometimes his effort pays off and sometimes it leads to give-aways, but he is definitely core to this team
* Davidson redeems himself after an awful start to the season... he seemed to still panic in his zone but then settled down and started making calmer plays. Plus, what a shot!

The meh:
* Sekera and Klefbom weren't forces or game-changers. They both had bad plays and are struggling to make a break-out pass
* Draisaitl - I know he was the hero and scored twice, but he looked to struggle to keep up to Hall and made too many non-connecting passes while in prime locations... I didn't see his usual strong game today, but I expect it was just nerves. He'll be a great addition
* Ference - not THAT bad - he didn't take a bad penalty and give away a goal - I guess that's a successful night for him though?

The bad:
* RNH was awful today - yes, he made a great play at the end, but that doesn't excuse his missed coverage, lack of offensive creation, and just general malaise for most of the game - I disagree with people who say he was great
* Lander probably needs to sit for a game - he missed his man on a goal and just seems to be fighting the puck

RNH made two great plays at the end of the game, one of which resulted in the GWG. How many top-tier scoring chances do you expect him to generate each game?

As noted by McLellan, who made the comments unprompted, both RNH and Hall ate up a lot of minutes and were important contributors to the win. RNH is not perfect, and yet I do not see how people can dismiss his positive impact on the games considering the role with which the coaching staff has tasked him.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking

This. The best hockey is the best competed hockey. Nobody can tell me Montreals play in the 2nd and 3rd period was deserving of anything but a loss. If I PVR'ed the game I would count the amount of giveaways by the Habs in the 2nd period alone.

With McDavid teams have to be pretty stupid to lose their focus against us. This team will score 3 goals in a hurry if given a chance. Great game by McDavid but goes without saying. I particularly liked that he beat Subban for the puck on the goal.

I wonder if Subban is still saying "not on my shift" like he was after batting the puck out of his cage earlier on. :laugh:

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
Maybe I'm not the average fan, but I'm sure as **** ready for it. I'd LOVE the refs to start calling things again. It starts with much slower games and a lot of penalties called, but it then will turn into much better free flowing hockey instead of the dead puck clutch and grab 2.0 crap we have now.

As for the Kings-Hawks, that was exciting because the Hawks opened the games up. If the Kings had their way, they would've grinded that series out like they did the rest of their run to the cup that year. I hated every other one of their series' that year. I'd much rather watch Eastern Conference matchups and usually do come playoff time. Even the low scoring Rangers-Caps series' have been more fun for me to watch.

As an aside, maybe we should move this discussion to my new West vs East thread? :D

The Kings can go away at any point. They disgust me. Effective? I guess so. 95% of the time it's painfully boring and if it was my introduction to the sport I never would have watched again. Bad, bad, bad for the game. Give me Hawks/Lightning any day.

3v3 OT is excellent. The amount of fighting is dropping every season. I want to see the refs actually start calling the penalties out there and then we might get the sport back to a more respectable level again.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
You didn't miss anything. They did one short interview, then cut to sobbing about the Jays.

Sportsnet WEST!

Sigh. They really should have a post game show with post game interviews, and the coach's post game presser after every single game. What with their six thousand channels and all. I hate SN.

This is a phenomenal point. One of the best games of the year featuring the best team in the league and the best young talent in the game - an all Canadian matchup - and they cut straight to whining about a baseball GM and a president whipping it out and measuring, and playing pre-recorded clips? On a channel that's SUPPOSED to be Western Canada focused? Bush league hockey coverage.

McTrashBoat

Show me the deed
Nov 28, 2014
I loved TM's presser, and im paraphrasing.

We can either take this and run with it, or start over again lol

He was great, paraphrasing him regarding Drai getting called up

"He got called at 3 am, it's not bad. He gets a plane ride, a nice hotel and played in the NHL. It's not that bad"

:laugh:

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
I loved TM's presser, and im paraphrasing.

We can either take this and run with it, or start over again lol

Yeah, exactly what I was saying last night. Mclellands comments are so typically like my own its scary.

That said the Oilers confirmed that once again they are dangerous and never out of a game. The trouble for opponents is if they don't play 60 they will be in trouble. One of the things that was interesting last night was how many quality chances we were generating in last couple periods. That was impressive. It was relentless.

Draisaitl had such a great game. Even other than the 2 goals he was in the game the whole time and had good chances even before his goals. Considering his travel day and all a real heroic performance. I missed his solid play a lot and he's needed here. He's clearly ready and I never thought he should've been sent down.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
This is a phenomenal point. One of the best games of the year featuring the best team in the league and the best young talent in the game - an all Canadian matchup - and they cut straight to whining about a baseball GM and a president whipping it out and measuring, and playing pre-recorded clips? On a channel that's SUPPOSED to be Western Canada focused? Bush league hockey coverage.

The other night the Oilers game on the main Sportsnet channel was pre-empted by "world poker". In Canada. In Edmonton. I wish I was making this up.

Without the Jays in it who cares about baseball. No way baseball should be first in hilites or coverage anytime Hockey season is on in Canada.

Final related rant. I have seen televised baseball game hilites that run into several minutes. They don't even do that for SC hockey. Whats with that? Especially given baseball and hilites is a juxtaposition.

Gambl0r83*

Nuge covered up for more than a dozen of Hall's mistakes last night. RNH imo was actually our best forward

McTrashBoat

Show me the deed
Nov 28, 2014
The other night the Oilers game on the main Sportsnet channel was pre-empted by "world poker". In Canada. In Edmonton. I wish I was making this up.

Without the Jays in it who cares about baseball. No way baseball should be first in hilites or coverage anytime Hockey season is on in Canada.

Final related rant. I have seen televised baseball game hilites that run into several minutes. They don't even do that for SC hockey. Whats with that? Especially given baseball and hilites is a juxtaposition.

Amen

They didn't even show all of the (Canadiens )goals last night.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007

They're probably eager to push baseball in Canada for TV ratings purposes. Hockey will always be a draw in Canada so it doesn't require a lot of effort, but they need to make hay with the current surge in MLB interest in Canada I think.

Ditto for the Raptors.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
They're probably eager to push baseball in Canada for TV ratings purposes. Hockey will always be a draw in Canada so it doesn't require a lot of effort, but they need to make hay with the current surge in MLB interest in Canada I think.

Ditto for the Raptors.

The Jays playoff games smashed Sportsnet ratings records and their hockey ratings are still dropping I believe. It should not be surprising at all that baseball is currently getting more air time.

Gambl0r83*

LoL
Looking back at the GDT for this game and then looking at the PGT for this game.
Omg, what a bunch of bi-polar fans, so freakin' hilarious :laugh::laugh::laugh:

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
LoL
Looking back at the GDT for this game and then looking at the PGT for this game.
Omg, what a bunch of bi-polar fans, so freakin' hilarious :laugh::laugh::laugh:

You'll have to excuse our inability to expect this team to come back from a 3 goal deficit against one of the hottest teams in the NHL currently ;)

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
The Jays playoff games smashed Sportsnet ratings records and their hockey ratings are still dropping I believe. It should not be surprising at all that baseball is currently getting more air time.

What a bass-ackwards and typically sportsnet way to look at things. Ratings dropping in hockey couldn't possibly be because their coverage is terrible. No, it's because baseball is in in Canada now!!! I'd be shocked if they've maintained even half the ratings for the MLB playoffs without the jays still in it. But I'm sure that's not how the illustrious planners at sportsnet look at it.

I'm seriously considering getting a hockey streams account and cancelling my TV, lol.

edit: What? A streaming service you pay for online is blocked out on this site? Really?

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
What a bass-ackwards and typically sportsnet way to look at things. Ratings dropping in hockey couldn't possibly be because their coverage is terrible. No, it's because baseball is in in Canada now!!! I'd be shocked if they've maintained even half the ratings for the MLB playoffs without the jays still in it. But I'm sure that's not how the illustrious planners at sportsnet look at it.

I'm seriously considering getting a hockey streams account and cancelling my TV, lol.

edit: What? A streaming service you pay for online is blocked out on this site? Really?

If it wasn't for hockey, I would have cancelled my cable a long time ago. I just don't like watching hockey on my computer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad