Post-Game Talk: Oilers 4 - Flyers 0

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
People talk (half tongue in cheek I expect) about how much better the Oilers have been since Schultz left.

But I wonder for guys like Hall, Eberle and Yakupov, if they're just relieved the trade deadline is over and they don't have to worry about rumours anymore...until June at least.

I think you have a valid point, but IMO Hall and Eberle haven't really had a big improvement in their play post-deadline, maybe because they knew the likelihood of them being traded at that point in the season was very slim.

Yakupov though, I'm betting he had a real fear of being traded, and with the deadline gone and the team giving him another chance with McD it seems to have rejuvenated him.

I found it interesting when McLellan recently said that Yakupov had been asking to play with McDavid, so he decided to grant him his wish and was expecting him to produce.

Here's hoping that he can keep it up. I loved how he played last night, that level of consistent physicality is something that separates him from the other 1st overalls when he chooses to bring it, even Hall doesn't play like that.

NewBoysClub97*

All-Star
Jun 1, 2012
Vancouver
Yak is at a crossroads. I almost wish he continued this play and tried to mold himself into a Gallagher role. He has skill, but he would be a good little pest too. He's not that soft. He can hit. Give the Oilers a reason to not even think about trading you.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
It's all starts with goaltending. The goalie has been excellent thus we win or are close.

The new guys look pretty good so far but a big caution that these guys were made available for a reason so lets not get carried away with them after a couple games.

Last game was another example that if we can get offense from both top two lines we have a real good chance of winning.

Tazer19

May 24, 2012
Great team win last night, and a solid effort over the last few, but let's be honest here. rattling off 5 or so wins over the last 16 games and playing ourselves out of a top 3 pick is not ideal. This year has been total dog ****, and not getting a top 3 pick would be terrible after what we've had to deal with all year.

I think we can all agree that we'd love to see the hard work and heavy play continue, but ideally lose some tight games :naughty:

Young Lions*

May 27, 2015
Yak is at a crossroads. I almost wish he continued this play and tried to mold himself into a Gallagher role. He has skill, but he would be a good little pest too. He's not that soft. He can hit. Give the Oilers a reason to not even think about trading you.

I hope Maroon and Kassian take him under their wing and bring out Yak's inner dirtbag. He needs to spend less time floating at the top of the circle for one timers and more driving to the front of the net.

blupye*

Jul 6, 2011
Nova Scotia
I like the idea of something like this when Pouliot and Nuge are back:

Maroon - Draisaitl - Hall
Pouliot - RNH - Eberle
Kassian - McDavid - Yak

A big body with some skill on every line, along with a really good playmaking center with some defensive chops as well.

ps. That goal Maroon scored last night was outstanding. Look at it in slo-mo. He deflects the point shot perfectly, gets to the rebound for a shot, and then bangs the second rebound out of mid-air into the net. So impressive. I also like how Hall plays with a lot more fire having a big, tough linemate. Great acquisition by Chia.

This is how you win in every era of the NHL. Look at the dynasty of the Islanders. Gillies-Trottier-Bossy. On this line you had a sniper, set-up man and sand-paper. Someone has to go in the corners and do the dirty work. Do you want your elite players doing that and risking injury. Things are starting to look up for the size we are starting to gather. We also have Khaira and Yakimov in the minors.

MacT and Lowe (Batman & Robin) couldn't figure that out. They thought we would win with skill. It don't work that way

Young Lions*

May 27, 2015
Great team win last night, and a solid effort over the last few, but let's be honest here. rattling off 5 or so wins over the last 16 games and playing ourselves out of a top 3 pick is not ideal. This year has been total dog ****, and not getting a top 3 pick would be terrible after what we've had to deal with all year.

I think we can all agree that we'd love to see the hard work and heavy play continue, but ideally lose some tight games :naughty:

Disagree. Confidence, building an identity and progress is more important than another teenager. I want us to get to a point where the pick is on the table in a trade for a top four D man, which I don't think it will be if it's in the 1-3 range.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012

I could see him as being good in Gallagher role. Hes played it for bits and pieces this season. Just has to do it for 15 mins a game. Just be a chippy player than will do whatever to score.

Gallagher really isnt that smart of a player (atleast his IQ doesn match his offensive output) He scores his goals from sheer will. Yak will need to score 20 goals like he scored last night. Crash the net and fight for the rebound

hmminvisiblecola1279

there are kids in it
Jul 9, 2002
no thanks
Visit site
I think you have a valid point, but IMO Hall and Eberle haven't really had a big improvement in their play post-deadline, maybe because they knew the likelihood of them being traded at that point in the season was very slim.

Yakupov though, I'm betting he had a real fear of being traded, and with the deadline gone and the team giving him another chance with McD it seems to have rejuvenated him.

I found it interesting when McLellan recently said that Yakupov had been asking to play with McDavid, so he decided to grant him his wish and was expecting him to produce.

Here's hoping that he can keep it up. I loved how he played last night, that level of consistent physicality is something that separates him from the other 1st overalls when he chooses to bring it, even Hall doesn't play like that.

Agreed Digger, always been a fan of this kid. I will admit though my faith in him has diminished quite a bit this year. Here's hoping he can bring some consistent play to finish the season.

McHilman

Nov 28, 2007
Edmonton
I like the idea of something like this when Pouliot and Nuge are back:

Maroon - Draisaitl - Hall
Pouliot - RNH - Eberle
Kassian - McDavid - Yak

A big body with some skill on every line, along with a really good playmaking center with some defensive chops as well.

ps. That goal Maroon scored last night was outstanding. Look at it in slo-mo. He deflects the point shot perfectly, gets to the rebound for a shot, and then bangs the second rebound out of mid-air into the net. So impressive. I also like how Hall plays with a lot more fire having a big, tough linemate. Great acquisition by Chia.

This is what I was thinking too, Maroon>>>>Kassian and should be on with Hall and Drai.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
This is how you win in every era of the NHL. Look at the dynasty of the Islanders. Gillies-Trottier-Bossy. On this line you had a sniper, set-up man and sand-paper. Someone has to go in the corners and do the dirty work. Do you want your elite players doing that and risking injury. Things are starting to look up for the size we are starting to gather. We also have Khaira and Yakimov in the minors.

MacT and Lowe (Batman & Robin) couldn't figure that out. They thought we would win with skill. It don't work that way

Been saying this for over seven years.

Simple formula but Oilers fans and Management just didn't/don't get it.

I was trying to explain exactly what your saying to a friend and he still couldn't accept it.

The line of Yak McDavid and Ebs is solid offensively but really is a terrible line and will most likely be broken up at some point. Great offensively but I watched them get penned up too often in the defensive zone with not enough presence to break up the cycle or defensive awareness to keep coverage.

Edit: I really dislike how Yaks effort level, awareness and effectiveness seems to only stem from being played with McDavid. Id rather have just about anyone in our line up who can just play hockey with anyone than a guy who always seems to need a specific line mate. I think Yak is getting the Teddy Purcell Pump and dump treatment right now. With McLellan and Chiarelli preferences well known Yak is as good as gone.

All those saying keep Yak to Trade Ebs for a better return I agree we may need to trade Ebs for a solid top 4 defender but I would be surprised if Yak will last too long on the Oilers no matter what. He just doesn't play a heavy game and really is not productive enough. 6 goals on the year, only 3 while with McDavid?

Last edited:

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I hope Maroon and Kassian take him under their wing and bring out Yak's inner dirtbag. He needs to spend less time floating at the top of the circle for one timers and more driving to the front of the net.

images

Young Lions*

May 27, 2015

I was trying to explain exactly what your saying to a friend and he still couldn't accept it.

The line of Yak McDavid and Ebs is solid offensively but really is a terrible line and will most likely be broken up at some point. Great offensively but I watched them get penned up too often in the defensive zone with not enough presence to break up the cycle or defensive awareness to keep coverage.

And yet somehow they were the best line from a shot generation/puck possession standpoint against the Schenn-Couterier-Read line. If the puck is heading at the other net more than yours when that line is on the ice, who cares?

McDavidson

#Jultzing
Mar 18, 2013
To me, since TMac called out his players, seems a lot more players are holding each other more accountable, which in turn is making them play for each other more, it's a very small sample size of course, Last night has been the most invested into a game i have been in quote some time. Hopefully it's a sign of things to come.

McDeathbyCheerios*

Edit: I really dislike how Yaks effort level, awareness and effectiveness seems to only stem from being played with McDavid. Id rather have just about anyone in our line up who can just play hockey with anyone than a guy who always seems to need a specific line mate. I think Yak is getting the Teddy Purcell Pump and dump treatment right now. With McLellan and Chiarelli preferences well known Yak is as good as gone.

All those saying keep Yak to Trade Ebs for a better return I agree we may need to trade Ebs for a solid top 4 defender but I would be surprised if Yak will last too long on the Oilers no matter what. He just doesn't play a heavy game and really is not productive enough. 6 goals on the year, only 3 while with McDavid?
If we sign Lucic and move Eberle i could see a top 9 of..

Hall - RNH - Maroon
Lucic - McDavid - Drai
Kassian - Guy - Yakupov

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
And yet somehow they were the best line from a shot generation/puck possession standpoint against the Schenn-Couterier-Read line. If the puck is heading at the other net more than yours when that line is on the ice, who cares?

This is a perfect example of why advanced stats can be misleading without context.

Losing coverage and being cycled for an extended time generally leads to high grade scoring chances. The kind that even great goaltenders have no chance against.

I would also point out that Schenn - Couterier - Read is a young line that really isn't that good. LA's third line is way better than that one.

Playing a weak Eastern team you can get away with lines like Yak McDavid Ebs but I will be shocked if that line can tow the load against heavy better teams.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
If we sign Lucic and move Eberle i could see a top 9 of..

Hall - RNH - Maroon
Lucic - McDavid - Drai
Kassian - Guy - Yakupov

We have had drool worthy forward lines for a long time. Although without the necessary amount of size and defensive awareness. That line up is delicious.

However, I don't see Chiarelli loading up our forwards with that much cap space with our defense clearly our far and away biggest deficiency. The only way he does that is if we can't improve our D.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
One last thing

Can we get a petition started to move the Oilers into the East?

Edmonton is 17-13-1 against the East this season. That is tied for most wins against East for any team in the West

On the flip side, 17 wins is what the best East team has against the West

The East is still soooo pathetic

The Oilers have had a winning record vs the East every season since 2010

tempest2i

Jigsaw Falling Into Place
Oct 25, 2009
Cowtown
One last thing

Can we get a petition started to move the Oilers into the East?

Edmonton is 17-13-1 against the East this season. That is tied for most wins against East for any team in the West

On the flip side, 17 wins is what the best East team has against the West

The East is still soooo pathetic

Learning to succeed in the West will be better for the team long-term.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton

I actually disagree completely. A) I'm tired of watching losses. Hockey is first and foremost about entertainment. And winning is fun. I've seen enough losses for a lifetime. B) wherever the oilers draft they will get a very good prospect with that pick. There's a lot of variety in the draft at the top. C) with the new lottery changes, there isn't as much incentive to bomb it anymore. Last place has a better chance of drafting 4th than they do top 3. It's so much of a crap shoot at this point that anywhere you finish can be wildly altered come lottery time.

And besides, we need to break the habit of relying on kids to fix the team. The further down they draft, the less likely that 18 year old is given a prominent role day one.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Learning to succeed in the West will be better for the team long-term.

Yep. And last night really was quite a western style win too. Oilers were stronger along the boards and in front of both nets. Cleared their own crease well and scored a couple garbage goals off rebounds and going hard to the net.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad