Post-Game Talk: Oilers 4 - Flyers 0

McTrashBoat

Show me the deed
Nov 28, 2014
That's dedication...
Hall's "flying" goal, after being tripped by Ghoustburger...

QwDWI0b.gif
goNjxxF.jpg

Thats awesome!

New wallpaper for the day :)

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
About ****ing time this team grows some balls. Loved every minute of that game. This team has been completely different since dumping Jultz and Teddy bear.

i've highlighted the more important party

small sample size and all, but its amazing what removing (arguably) the worst defender in the league can do for a team.... schultz was a guaranteed 1-1.5 goals against per game... not to mention the multiple times we would get hemmed in our own end when he was on the ice, or the deflating aspect of his *crazy* gaffes in his own end that would swing momentum (goal or no goal)... i could go on and on and on.... getting rid of schultz was as important, if not more, than landing a "hamonic level" defender this off-season

Young Lions*

May 27, 2015
This is a perfect example of why advanced stats can be misleading without context.

Losing coverage and being cycled for an extended time generally leads to high grade scoring chances. The kind that even great goaltenders have no chance against.

So how many scoring chances did they give up versus create? I'll wait.

I would also point out that Schenn - Couterier - Read is a young line that really isn't that good. LA's third line is way better than that one.

Gee the third line of a Stanley Cup contender is better than the second line of a eastern conference also-ran. Shocker.

Playing a weak Eastern team you can get away with lines like Yak McDavid Ebs but I will be shocked if that line can tow the load against heavy better teams.

I guess there's only one way to find out. With Yak playing well with some jump and some grit and McDavid being McDavid, I'd be shocked if they can't hold their own against second line competition.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
i actually DID notice just how slow maroon was on numerous occasions last night... its definitely going to cause some issues once and a while

With all due respect you're wrong here. Large players its always apparent that they are moving, skating, slower because they don't have to take as many strides. Maroon was playing lots of top line assignments in Anaheim and part of lines playing the best lines in the league. He wasn't getting exposed either.

Heres the ultimate compliment. I love watching the Kings, even cheer for them when the Oilers aren't involved, and no player in the WC scares me more than Pat Maroon. He is that one player that can just turn a series physically. That's a key to beating teams like the Kings and several other WC squads.

Can't wait for this version of the Oilers to face the Flames. That's going to be fun. :laugh:

Towmater14

Sep 17, 2005
OIL COUNTRY
Does anybody have a video of Kassian freaking out protecting Hall near the end of the game last night? My PVR cut out before that.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
Didn't watch the game but 7-1 Flyers for the Powerplay? Seems kind of skewed...

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
i actually DID notice just how slow maroon was on numerous occasions last night... its definitely going to cause some issues once and a while

He got caught a few times by back checking forwards and stuff, but that doesn't really bother me.

I don't think he's really expected to be a puck carrier.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
That's dedication...
Hall's "flying" goal, after being tripped by Ghoustburger...

QwDWI0b.gif
goNjxxF.jpg

Can't forget after that goal, how his relentless forecheck and battle against Schenn in the boards helped lead to Maroon's goal. Hall had a good game.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
He got caught a few times by back checking forwards and stuff, but that doesn't really bother me.

I don't think he's really expected to be a puck carrier.

And if he's in the top 6 he shouldn't have to worry as there is a lot of speed there already.

The thing is if he could skate he'd probably be making 5mil a year and wouldn't have been traded in the first place. Everyone one our team has some sort of flaw, Maroon's is skating.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Didn't watch the game but 7-1 Flyers for the Powerplay? Seems kind of skewed...

Outside of the first Kassian penalty, where Ghastlyburrito literally tucked Kass' stick under his armpit and went swimming (should have been 2 for holding the stick, and 2 for diving. Legitimately) all of the Oilers penalties were earned.

The problem came when the refs just decided to ignore the Flyers infractions. Highlighted remarkably well by Hall getting completely mugged in the third by Gudas 10 feet in front of the on looking ref, and in comes Kassian to intervene and the arm shoots up immediately to give the Oilers a penalty. That was some bush league **** right there.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
Wiping the floor with the Flyers was a delight to watch. Ghost sure didn't look to impressive. Diving, missing assignments, giving the puck away. And his trip on Hall was a very borderline move.

Very happy with the game the Oilers put forth last night. :D

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint
Outside of the first Kassian penalty, where Ghastlyburrito literally tucked Kass' stick under his armpit and went swimming (should have been 2 for holding the stick, and 2 for diving. Legitimately) all of the Oilers penalties were earned.

The problem came when the refs just decided to ignore the Flyers infractions. Highlighted remarkably well by Hall getting completely mugged in the third by Gudas 10 feet in front of the on looking ref, and in comes Kassian to intervene and the arm shoots up immediately to give the Oilers a penalty. That was some bush league **** right there.

That's what so ****ing infuriating about our games. Yeah, we will take some penalties, and yeah some of them are going to be lame calls, but when the opposition gets away with as much as they do every ****ing game, that's where the anger rises.

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint
Wiping the floor with the Flyers was a delight to watch. Ghost sure didn't look to impressive. Diving, missing assignments, giving the puck away. And his trip on Hall was a very borderline move.

Very happy with the game the Oilers put forth last night. :D

Caught a little bit of Hockey Central @ Noon today. The only thing I heard about the game last night was how awesome Gotstheherpes was.

:rolleyes:

member 157595

I'd just like to say that you guys are the Grand Champions of nickname creation. :laugh:

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
That's what so ****ing infuriating about our games. Yeah, we will take some penalties, and yeah some of them are going to be lame calls, but when the opposition gets away with as much as they do every ****ing game, that's where the anger rises.

One of the interesting things as well is the amount of times Flyers players get away with beaking, and essentially telling off the officials, even in a game where they had it go all their way with calls. It was absurd. I was thinking the Flyers players are running the zoo and the stripes are intimidated. Maybe they need a Maroon as well...:D

Most players get called for unsportmanlike if they are acting like raving lunatics like the Flyers do having absolute on and off the ice tantrums. The Giroux thing was one of the silliest things I'd ever seen when he was beaking Hall. But earlier in the game he was beaking the ref the same way. :amazed:

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
seriously? all he did was trip Hall, unsuccessfully, on a break away. otherwise, a whole lotta meh.

He got a blade in, dangerously, that sent Hall crashing into the boards head first at full speed.

Theres nothing meh about that play and most of us would lose it in a hockey game if that happened to us.

Was also the same team that put McDavid out of commission. Flyers are sneaky dirty *******.

I wouldn't have minded seeing somebody take Goatsmeabeer out hard along the boards after that ****.

Young Lions*

May 27, 2015
He got a blade in, dangerously, that sent Hall crashing into the boards head first at full speed.

Theres nothing meh about that play and most of us would lose it in a hockey game if that happened to us.

Was also the same team that put McDavid out of commission. Flyers are sneaky dirty *******.

I wouldn't have minded seeing somebody take Goatsmeabeer out hard along the boards after that ****.

I was pretty happy just seeing him embarrassed by a fourth line grinder on the PP. That was wonderful.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
I was pretty happy just seeing him embarrassed by a fourth line grinder on the PP. That was wonderful.

haha. I was laughing at that one. Just gave the puck up so easy there. Such a weak play from a D.

I was turning up the volume just to hear the Flyer boobirds coming out. That was special.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad