Post-Game Talk: Oilers 4 - Flyers 0

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
Garbage time/fleeting is a very misleading way to put it. Over entire seasons Renney had a 2nd ranked PP and Krueger a 10th.

Eakin's took over and tried to implement the San Jose model and that PP dropped to 20th, and than 27th in his second year before he was fired. Nelson took over with ~45 games to go and had the Oilers as the 4th best PP in the league for better than 1/2 the year. That's neither fleeting, nor garbage time.

And this new staff comes in and tries to implement the same PP that worked for them in San Jose, but that didn't work for the Oilers the two years prior. Haven't adapted it at all.

Tbh, I'd take the way we have improved 5 on 5 this season over Kreugers PP in a heart beat. I think that is more sustainable stat and style of play.

PP's win games, but strong 5 on 5 wins championships, imo. Not that special teams are unimportant, just a referee can deny a special teams, but they cannot take away you dominating @ 5 on 5.

SpoolCat

Mar 1, 2016
Great game the most exciting part for me was the fact the Oilers stood up for each other and looked bigger and tougher than they have for a long time. Chia really is starting to make his mark on the team. Can't wait to see what the team looks after next offseason

Gotbeavershere has a nice shot but wasn't great defensively

StoveTopStauffer

Apr 6, 2012
Tbh, I'd take the way we have improved 5 on 5 this season over Kreugers PP in a heart beat. I think that is more sustainable stat and style of play.

PP's win games, but strong 5 on 5 wins championships, imo. Not that special teams are unimportant, just a referee can deny a special teams, but they cannot take away you dominating @ 5 on 5.

It shouldn't have to be one or the other. It's been proven with certainty we can have a good PP. Imagine being decent 5 on 5 AND the PP? You could practically call us a playoff team.

NewBoysClub97*

All-Star
Jun 1, 2012
Vancouver
I remember Kreuger had that one set up where 2 of our guys would pass to eachother from each side of the goal line and wait for a Dman to come in for a one timer.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Great game the most exciting part for me was the fact the Oilers stood up for each other and looked bigger and tougher than they have for a long time. Chia really is starting to make his mark on the team. Can't wait to see what the team looks after next offseason

Gotbeavershere has a nice shot but wasn't great defensively

Yep that is what we have waiting for

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
Yakupov is such a different player beside McDavid, i feel he has more chemistry with him than anyone else on the club, he's also throwing the body around as well. It's nice to see.

Talbot has been unreal lately.

Best play of the game was Kassian going after Gudas. I don't think he's a 2nd liner but he's great in the bottom 6 and can step up from time to time while keeping teams honest.

I still like Maroon. Big, strong, mean. He's better than Kassian with offensive players.

Pardy was solid.

Davidson just keeps getting better, he's a legit top 4 D. I'd love to see him anchor the third pair, though.

Fayne has been solid since his callup, it's nice to see him get pissed off.

Nurse has been playing better lately.

Clendening does some nice things moving the puck but he also is prone to the odd bad play. I think he's got some upside, could be a real solid 3rd pairing D who can help a PP.

Draisaitl is terrible at defending one on one. He had a decent game, great hands but the feet are slowing down. I think he's getting tired.

Lander is getting better but still a bit of a disappointment offensively, i've got no problem seeing if he can earn the 14th forward spot going forward.

I thought Gagner was one of Philly's better players.

Can't wait for Nuge and Klefbom to get back,the additions of Maroon and Pardy are rather helpful. Klefbom-Sekera-Davidson-Fayne-Pardy-Clendening should be our top 6, send Nurs to the AHL and let him gear up for the playoffs while getting big minutes, Nikitin can bench warm. Play Nuge in between Hall-Draisaitl and McDavid between Yakupov-Eberle.

oilinblood

Aug 8, 2009
Kassian, Cracknell, Maroon, Pardy, Gryba, Nurse
All new from last year.

All play a tough game.
Combine that with finding a number one goalie.

All we need is a UFA Eberle replacement. And then ship him for D. Healed Klefbom.

Reasons to be optimistic.

I know a guy who loves the west, loves pressure of big cities and the spotlight, has a good relationship with chia, and would be close to his BC roots in edmonton

If Lucic is available...do we sign him and ditch Ebs in trade?

StoveTopStauffer

Apr 6, 2012
This is a large part of the reason why I really didnt blame the coaching for the PP issues. Not only was the execution flawed but IMO the personnel was flawed.

Lets see how the PP goes next season after an off season of roster tweaking. :D

You shouldn't have to tweak the roster to make a good PP and a coach shouldn't be so 1 dimensional in tactics that he literally NEEDS a specific kind of player to make his PP work.

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
We now have 1 more win than last season.

I actually have wiped last year from my mind. I keep forgetting just how bad we were.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta

I actually have wiped last year from my mind. I keep forgetting just how bad we were.

There's finally some light at the end of the tunnel. I can't wait to watch the last 10 or so games of the year with Nuge and Klefbom back. Would have been nice to get one stretch with everyone, but unfortunately Pouliot got hurt, even if its not as big a hit as some guys he's still an important part of the top 9.

Gonna make a bold prediction and say the team finishes the year 10-5-1 for a total of 78 points. We'll see if I'm just dreaming lol.

EuroTide

Sep 19, 2008
thought Talbot was due for a shutout, did not expect uts this game though.
enjoyed the game

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
Yakupov is such a different player beside McDavid, i feel he has more chemistry with him than anyone else on the club, he's also throwing the body around as well. It's nice to see.

Talbot has been unreal lately.

Best play of the game was Kassian going after Gudas. I don't think he's a 2nd liner but he's great in the bottom 6 and can step up from time to time while keeping teams honest.

I still like Maroon. Big, strong, mean. He's better than Kassian with offensive players.

Pardy was solid.

Davidson just keeps getting better, he's a legit top 4 D. I'd love to see him anchor the third pair, though.

Fayne has been solid since his callup, it's nice to see him get pissed off.

Nurse has been playing better lately.

Clendening does some nice things moving the puck but he also is prone to the odd bad play. I think he's got some upside, could be a real solid 3rd pairing D who can help a PP.

Draisaitl is terrible at defending one on one. He had a decent game, great hands but the feet are slowing down. I think he's getting tired.

Lander is getting better but still a bit of a disappointment offensively, i've got no problem seeing if he can earn the 14th forward spot going forward.

I thought Gagner was one of Philly's better players.

Can't wait for Nuge and Klefbom to get back,the additions of Maroon and Pardy are rather helpful. Klefbom-Sekera-Davidson-Fayne-Pardy-Clendening should be our top 6, send Nurs to the AHL and let him gear up for the playoffs while getting big minutes, Nikitin can bench warm. Play Nuge in between Hall-Draisaitl and McDavid between Yakupov-Eberle.

McDavid makes anyone better, but with how bad Yak has been, he really needed this.

DisgruntledGoat*

Dec 26, 2010

Yeah, it was a weird feeling watching that... Almost like they were a team or something...

Been a long time.

SunDin

Dec 22, 2008
I noticed Kassian had 20 PIMs last night, is he facing a hearing or just standard Kassian PIMs?

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton

This is shaping up to the be the Oilers best full season since 2008-09. That was the last time this team broke 80 points in a season.

All hail Chia! :)

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton

It's hard to tell if he has chemistry with anyone else, he's never had anything more than a few minutes of time with the team's other offensive line in Drai/Hall. Would have been nice to see Yak get a few games there when Purcell checked out towards January to see if he could recreate his rookie season chemistry with Hall, but Mclellan was probably reluctant to move Yak out of the bottom six even when Pouliot got injured.

Last edited:

Oilfan2

13.5%
Aug 12, 2005
I know a guy who loves the west, loves pressure of big cities and the spotlight, has a good relationship with chia, and would be close to his BC roots in edmonton

I would.

Should be able to use Ebs and the 1st to improve the D.

Like to have a D like Gosuckanegg. Thought he had some really good offensive instincts and a great shot.

Pointteen

Jun 9, 2008
New Brunswick
Yeah, it was a weird feeling watching that... Almost like they were a team or something...

Been a long time.

It has been a while. Now let's see how they do against the Blue Jackets. They may be tired but Philly didn't particularly play them hard. If the refs don't make up a bunch of penalties (I know a lot last night were legitimate) then they should be okay. Our penalty killers are the ones who had to work hard.

dssource

5-14-6-1=97
Jun 29, 2012
Bingo. That kind of play brings a pack mentality to the team.
Saw this on twitter but as quoted:

"The message delivered tonight by 6,19,44 wasn't just to the Flyers or even the league, it was to their teammates, "we've got your back."

This quote is exactly it. The new guys all look like they want to play for this team going forward and the entire squad now looks like a team, not just a collection of players.

Any of the seasons past, we get our ***** handed to us in this game. We would have lost on the scoreboard, in the scrums and more than likely a man or two down/out with injury. I'd like to see more of what I saw last night please. A lot more!

I look forward to the 2 games we still have against the sharks and then Mar. 26&28 against LA and Anaheim. Especially LA. I want this team to bully them. Rag doll them all night. Make them realize what they will have to deal with next season. No more being pushovers for the league.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Yak seems like Tikkannen beside McDavid. Would like to see him develop his pest game.

I mean the entire league already doesn't like him.

DisgruntledGoat*

Dec 26, 2010
It has been a while. Now let's see how they do against the Blue Jackets. They may be tired but Philly didn't particularly play them hard. If the refs don't make up a bunch of penalties (I know a lot last night were legitimate) then they should be okay. Our penalty killers are the ones who had to work hard.

I would argue they had it right up to July 1, 2007. The day Jason Smith got dealt.

snag

Feb 22, 2014

Ebsolutely!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad