Post-Game Talk: Oilers 3 Bruins 2 in shootout

McDeathbyCheerios*

How many points do Hall and Draisaitl have in the last 6 games?

I'm pretty sure Ryan Nugent-Hopkins is out-producing them in the last 6 games. Nail Yakupov is tied with them and he's been injured for the last 5 games.

Guys like Iiro Pakarinen, Letestu and Hendricks have double the points of anyone in the top 6 in the last 6 games - except for Nugent-Hopkins who matches them.

Everyone wants to crap on RNH and the bottom six, but really the entire top 6 outside of RNH has not been producing ****.
No ones simply harping on RNH and Eberle for just not producing. They are not really getting chances and have been very suspect to bad defensively. Hall and Drai have been creating multiple chances, just nothing going in while they have been good defensively and still making a positive difference.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
So because we won 1 game has the mood changed?

It was a good game but the Oilers were still quite out classed for some stretched. WAY too many turnovers at the boston blue line. Major gear grinder for me haha.

Still need a ton of moves to make this team competitive long term.

what post makes you think that the mood has changed? We are still going after each other and trying to run players out of town :D

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007
No ones simply harping on RNH and Eberle for just not producing. They are not really getting chances and have been very suspect to bad defensively. Hall and Drai have been creating multiple chances, just nothing going in while they have been good defensively and still making a positive difference.

Honestly I think if you're on the top line getting top minutes you need to produce more than 1 point in 6 games. You are letting the team down.

The narrative right now is "boo RNH" (who often gets the toughest match-ups) and "yay Hall + Drai" , but people need to realize that headline is so last-month. Hall + Drai deserve a little heat on them too. I thought RNH played a few solid games in the last stretch despite the +/- savagery.

If nobody is producing its really a moot point. The bottom six has been carrying us not Hall + Drai.

SoftDumps

Oct 11, 2013
How many points do Hall and Draisaitl have in the last 6 games?

I'm pretty sure Ryan Nugent-Hopkins is out-producing them in the last 6 games. Nail Yakupov is tied with them and he's been injured for the last 5 games.

Guys like Iiro Pakarinen, Letestu and Hendricks have double the points of anyone in the top 6 in the last 6 games - except for Nugent-Hopkins who matches them.

Everyone wants to crap on RNH and the bottom six, but really the entire top 6 outside of RNH has not been producing ****.

I am a little worried about Eberle but he is better than he looks right now.

Drai looks a bit tired. And yet Nuge is meant to continue playing 21+ a night, sick or hurt, or he is instantly trade fodder. Sure, let's run with an 18 year old and a 20 year old down the middle for our top-6 and see how that works for us guys. For a purportedly knowledgeable fan base there is an awful lot of nonsense floating around HFOil. Get a grip.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
Purcell and Ebs are anchors with Hall-Draisaitl.

The whole top-6 is in a funk right now. Nuge is losing most puck battles which is not normal...

Weitz

Sep 23, 2014
what post makes you think that the mood has changed? We are still going after each other and trying to run players out of town :D

Was more asking to see the mood.

Even if this team win the next 5 games in a row, it can't be understated that there are flaws.

I was really happy with the effort last night. I even saw Eberle throw a check!! It's nice to see the players play with some heart.

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
Personally i think Sekera has looked pretty good lately. Closer to his contract value.

Trading RNH is pretty stupid. Considering we may need him or someone else to anchor a decent 3rd line. We certainly don't have a 3rd line right now.

Hall - Drai - Purcell
Pouliot - McD - Yak
Korpse - Nuge - Eberle
Wagon v1.10

Not sustainable cap wise, and destined to lose consistently like they already are.

The goal of trading RNH isn't to get draft picks and replace him with nothing, it's to balance out the roster and get a defense that can actually help this team win games.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013

that is biased viewing. Eberle and RNH created plenty of chances last night and had less bad moments than Hall these past few games.

With the bias we just choose to ignore the small good plays made by these players. I will take McLellan's views on these select players over anyone here.
RNH leading all forwards and playing 25mins last night says all I need to see.

McDeathbyCheerios*

Honestly I think if you're on the top line getting top minutes you need to produce more than 1 point in 6 games. You are letting the team down.

The narrative right now is "boo RNH" (who often gets the toughest match-ups) and "yay Hall + Drai" , but people need to realize that headline is so last-month. Hall + Drai deserve a little heat on them too. I thought RNH played a few solid games in the last stretch despite the +/- savagery.

If nobody is producing its really a moot point. The bottom six has been carrying us not Hall + Drai.
Yes but Hall and Drai are at least not costing us games. Players go thru scoring slumps and droughts, it happens to everyone. When you are in one you need to still positively contribute. Strong possession, producing more chances then giving up, being good defensively etc.

Hall and Drai are still playing well they are just a little snake bitten. That's why no one is hating them, no one is loving that they aren't scoring but their contributions aren't a negative

RNH and Eberle have not been producing and have directly lost us at least 2-3 games in the last while. That's why they get harped on.

That's why people like Drai over RNH right now. When RNH is off he is soft, weak and just a meh player. Drai who is also off right now still plays hockey well, hard on the puck and still plays a good possession game just doesn't produce.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
that is biased viewing. Eberle and RNH created plenty of chances last night and had less bad moments than Hall these past few games.

With the bias we just choose to ignore the small good plays made by these players. I will take McLellan's views on these select players over anyone here.

Playing RNH 25 min a night is fricken stupid. Its probably the sole reason he's been looking like crap. We need another center who can actually play.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Purcell and Ebs are anchors with Hall-Draisaitl.
The whole top-6 is in a funk right now. Nuge is losing most puck battles which is not normal...
Agree. That duo doesnt need another skill player but a grit player. It has to be someone who wont keep the puck on his stick for more than 2 seconds.

Was more asking to see the mood.

Even if this team win the next 5 games in a row, it can't be understated that there are flaws.

I was really happy with the effort last night. I even saw Eberle throw a check!! It's nice to see the players play with some heart.
Agree... it was the most complete game the Oilers played this season. The Bruins cruising for most of the night brought them down to our level. They just dont play like the big bad Bruins with Lucic gone.

Not sustainable cap wise, and destined to lose consistently like they already are.

The goal of trading RNH isn't to get draft picks and replace him with nothing, it's to balance out the roster and get a defense that can actually help this team win games.
Doesnt have to be sustainable... its just for this season considering Purcell is listed on the squad.

SoftDumps

Oct 11, 2013
Yes but Hall and Drai are at least not costing us games. Players go thru scoring slumps and droughts, it happens to everyone. When you are in one you need to still positively contribute. Strong possession, producing more chances then giving up, being good defensively etc.

Hall and Drai are still playing well they are just a little snake bitten. That's why no one is hating them, no one is loving that they aren't scoring but their contributions aren't a negative

RNH and Eberle have not been producing and have directly lost us at least 2-3 games in the last while. That's why they get harped on.

That's why people like Drai over RNH right now. When RNH is off he is soft, weak and just a meh player. Drai who is also off right now still plays hockey well, hard on the puck and still plays a good possession game just doesn't produce.

I'll start by saying I absolutely love Drai as a player.

But people like Drai right now because he is shiny and new. IMO, he has looked pretty bagged the last couple of games and he still isn't playing as much as Nuge has basically his entire career. That said, Nuge has been significantly underperforming as of late but he is a proven top-line center in this league and if you don't agree with that I am not sure I can have an intelligent discourse with you. Not to pick on you specifically but I am getting a little annoyed with all the Nuge hate on the board.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
I just wanna say, if we are going to pick on Nuge and Eberle and they havent been good. Eberle got some chances last night so hes going to start hitting the sheet.

That being said if we harp on them 2 we better not be defending Yak. Look at his stat line after McDavid left. Ouch.

McDeathbyCheerios*

I just wanna say, if we are going to pick on Nuge and Eberle and they havent been good. Eberle got some chances last night so hes going to start hitting the sheet.

That being said if we harp on them 2 we better not be defending Yak. Look at his stat line after McDavid left. Ouch.
Eberle had a better game last night. Sadly he whiffed on a glorious chance but he had a better game.

Nuge played tons and was fighting the puck again last night. If we could sitting him for a game might due him wonders but I don't think we can right now.

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
Doesnt have to be sustainable... its just for this season considering Purcell is listed on the squad.

I was referring to his argument that the team should keep RNH to anchor the 3rd line.

Any team that would intentionally attempt to carry a 6 million dollar a year 3rd line center, for any amount of time, would be entering into Flyer territory of stupid cap management.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking

Eberle and RNH have been responsible for our last 2 OT losses. Yet there they are again last night trying to create **** on a stick turning pucks over. Nuge was horrendous in OT and Boston had sustained pressure the whole time they were out there.

McLellan is making some decisions that deserve to be questioned. he puts Letestu out there on the shootout with the game on the line. lmao. On a team with offensive talent he chooses Letestu. Of course he doesn't score and lays a muff shot out that any decent glove hand would stop 9 times out of 10. If Krejci scores on his ensuing shot by just moving across and putting the puck high (instead of losing the handle) the shootout is tied and we possibly go on to lose the extra point.

All this to reward the appearance of effort by one player one game and a player who has been pretty unimpressive overall.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
I'll start by saying I absolutely love Drai as a player.

But people like Drai right now because he is shiny and new. IMO, he has looked pretty bagged the last couple of games and he still isn't playing as much as Nuge has basically his entire career. That said, Nuge has been significantly underperforming as of late but he is a proven top-line center in this league and if you don't agree with that I am not sure I can have an intelligent discourse with you. Not to pick on you specifically but I am getting a little annoyed with all the Nuge hate on the board.

People like Drai because he's strong, big, physical, with good hands and is already playing a power forward game at the age of 19. Don't try to categorize why people are liking Drai. I'm not seeing him be ineffective either in recent games. I'm seeing a player continuing to go to hard and dangerous areas and get chances when he's not creating them. I continue to see him making plays and passes at a very high level. Player is playing a nice smart game, very hard to play against and controlling and protecting the puck well.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
Eberle and RNH have been responsible for our last 2 OT losses. Yet there they are again last night trying to create **** on a stick turning pucks over. Nuge was horrendous in OT and Boston had sustained pressure the whole time they were out there.

McLellan is making some decisions that deserve to be questioned. he puts Letestu out there on the shootout with the game on the line. lmao. On a team with offensive talent he chooses Letestu. Of course he doesn't score and lays a muff shot out that any decent glove hand would stop 9 times out of 10. If Krejci scores on his ensuing shot by just moving across and putting the puck high (instead of losing the handle) the shootout is tied and we possibly go on to lose the extra point.

All this to reward the appearance of effort by one player one game and a player who has been pretty unimpressive overall.

If your going to point out the last 2 OT losses you have to point out the fact that Eberle won the last 2 shoot outs ;)

McDeathbyCheerios*

Coaches do that stuff in shootouts all the time. They reward the players who score. That and outside of Eberle and Hendricks we don't have good Shootout guys.

McDeathbyCheerios*

People like Drai because he's strong, big, physical, with good hands and is already playing a power forward game at the age of 19. Don't try to categorize why people are liking Drai. I'm not seeing him be ineffective either in recent games. I'm seeing a player continuing to go to hard and dangerous areas and get chances when he's not creating them. I continue to see him making plays and passes at a very high level. Player is playing a nice smart game, very hard to play against and controlling and protecting the puck well.
Exactly this.

There are things players can do when not producing to still be a good functional player. Drai does that. RNH hasn't been.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Playing RNH 25 min a night is fricken stupid. Its probably the sole reason he's been looking like crap. We need another center who can actually play.

Its Eakins level stupid. I really WANTED to buy into some blind faith on the new coaching hire but man in the last dozen games theres been a lot of indication McLellan has veered into the doesn't know what to do stream.

Nuge can't handle those minutes. Clearly, and theres no point to it. But its what a coach tried to do in desperation when running out of other ideas. Oddly enough you see coaches on short leashes run with their top players. So it oddly made some modicum of sense for Eakins to actually run with that and try to run Hall, Nuge, Eberle ragged. But for McLellan to do that is just kind of strange.

The cost of a Win like tonight is Nuge looking tired for more games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad