Post-Game Talk: Oilers 3 Bruins 2 in shootout

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
According to the Play by Play (http://www.nhl.com/scores/htmlreports/20152016/PL020371.HTM) Nuge and Draisaitl were on the same PP unit last night. I'd guess there's close to 5 minutes of overlap there alone.

I'm not sure replacing any of Draisaitl or Nuge's PP minutes with Hendricks or Korpikoski is a good idea.

Thanks. But I think given the talent on this club we need some more out of the box thinking. For some reason on a lot of our PP we are employing a 4 forward 1D unit. On a team that has Sekera, Nurse, Schultz, Klefbom as PP options and all of whom are good on the PP and can play as well as any forward and be as dangerous as any forward.

It does not immediately follow that not putting Nuge out there as much on the PP means that dolts will be on it. We have several talented players that could alternately be used on the PP to greater effect.

Its not hard to argue either that this clubs current PP alignment and scheme is not working at all.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
I definitely agree with this post, especially the bolded.

I also like your idea re: Nuge's pk time. PK is also typically more strenuous ice time, I think this would go a long way in helping Nuge get back on track. I think he is a vital piece (for at least the next 1-2 seasons) while McD and Drai season up so easing back his minutes is a no brainer if it increases Nuge's productivity.

Yep. We have other options. Also consider my reply to Tempest where I figure we should be employing more D on our PP. The PP which isn't working currently. Really a lot of goals that we do have on PP have come from the point. I don't think Sekera, Schultz, Nurse, Klef, collectively are getting enough time on the PP. Davidson for instance has been used to effect on that unit. I would have one less forward, and 2 D out on the PP everytime instead of the one D so often employed.

We're stacked with offensive D who happen to be skilled in this area and not using them as much as we should in PP.

Sometimes decisions by McLellan do not seem to consider best alternate options that we have. We're currently healthy on D. Lets use that as a positive and getting these guys some more work. They jump up well anyways.

McDeathbyCheerios*

Thanks. But I think given the talent on this club we need some more out of the box thinking. For some reason on a lot of our PP we are employing a 4 forward 1D unit. On a team that has Sekera, Nurse, Schultz, Klefbom as PP options and all of whom are good on the PP and can play as well as any forward and be as dangerous as any forward.

It does not immediately follow that not putting Nuge out there as much on the PP means that dolts will be on it. We have several talented players that could alternately be used on the PP to greater effect.

Its not hard to argue either that this clubs current PP alignment and scheme is not working at all.
Our pp units should be...

A
Hall, Drai, Eberle, Klefbom, Schultz

B
Nurse, RNH, Purcell
Sekera, Pakarainen

I put Pakarainen on the point so that we have a left and right hard shot from the point.

tempest2i

Jigsaw Falling Into Place
Oct 25, 2009
Cowtown

I think you can clearly see the coaches have tried to load up one PP unit and hope that they score. Considering one unit has 4-16-29-93-19 and the other is 14-26-28-55-77 (!!)

Balancing the PP might help. Hell at this point anything that gets Letestu, Korpikoski AND Pakarinen off the PP would be a step in the right direction in my opinion. Then again, the team is missing Pouliot, Yakupov and McDavid at the moment. I would expect those 3 players would be on the PP if they were available.

tempest2i

Jigsaw Falling Into Place
Oct 25, 2009
Cowtown
Our pp units should be...

A
Hall, Drai, Eberle, Klefbom, Schultz

B
Nurse, RNH, Purcell
Sekera, Pakarainen

I put Pakarainen on the point so that we have a left and right hard shot from the point.

You're basically suggesting the PP units should be the exact same as the current 1st and 2nd lines.

There just isn't enough scoring depth on the team right now to justify worrying about the PP. I wouldn't spend too much time worrying about PP units when you're missing so many regulars. At this point I'm just glad the PP isn't giving up shorthanded goals by the boatload.

McDeathbyCheerios*

You're basically suggesting the PP units should be the exact same as the current 1st and 2nd lines.

There just isn't enough scoring depth on the team right now to justify worrying about the PP. I wouldn't spend too much time worrying about PP units when you're missing so many regulars. At this point I'm just glad the PP isn't giving up shorthanded goals by the boatload.
We should worry. You can't say, lets not fix the pp cause of injures. Fix it now, readapt later

SoftDumps

Oct 11, 2013
Yep. We have other options. Also consider my reply to Tempest where I figure we should be employing more D on our PP. The PP which isn't working currently. Really a lot of goals that we do have on PP have come from the point. I don't think Sekera, Schultz, Nurse, Klef, collectively are getting enough time on the PP. Davidson for instance has been used to effect on that unit. I would have one less forward, and 2 D out on the PP everytime instead of the one D so often employed.

We're stacked with offensive D who happen to be skilled in this area and not using them as much as we should in PP.

Sometimes decisions by McLellan do not seem to consider best alternate options that we have. We're currently healthy on D. Lets use that as a positive and getting these guys some more work. They jump up well anyways.

I don't mind playing 2 D on the PP at all actually. I really only advocate pulling F's back to the point on the powerplay (i.e. 4F 1D units) to correct for handedness up top or if there are really no other sure-handed options back there. And, like you said, there are some intriguing players we could at least try for a bit to shake things up/rest our workhorse middlemen.

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
Late on this but got to see the game live last night, here's my thoughts:

Got to watch the game last night with my brother who, like LT, is an Oilers fan and Bruins fan. He was happy with the result. :)

LT – we were next to a grandfather from east of Lloydminster who hadn’t been to Rexall (“Northlandsâ€) in 25 years! He has been a Bruins fan since before the days of Orr/yore. Had a couple of good stories. Man if CBC was broadcasting the game they should have sent Scott Oake to talk to him.

Watching the game live, is obviously a different experience from watching on TV.

My thoughts:

(1) The first period was mostly boring – both teams looked pretty sloppy, both goalies looked very focused.

(2) This was the best gave I’ve seen from Nilsson, and he honestly reminded me of Dubnyk. Very focused, made a few 10 bell saves. Rask was also focused, and though the Oilers probably got outplayed, I thought Tukka made a few huge stops (especially on Eberle, I can’t believe he didn’t get that in) to get the game to overtime.

(3) Nurse was looking stretched thin last night, and the Bruins controlled possession it felt like every time he and Sekera were on the ice – and I’m blaming Nurse more than Sekera for that. It’s no picnic to line up against the Krejci and Bergeron lines, but he looked like he was having trouble making reads fast enough. The Bruins play a pretty smart and aggressive offensive system.

(4) I’m really glad Eberle scored the shootout goal, but man he looked bad again last night – he was hustling, but looks like a guy with no confidence. I will give him credit for coming back a couple of times on a good backcheck. I also don’t think he has chemistry right now with Hall and Draisaitl, and I told my brother in the 1st period “I bet McLellan will put Purcell back up there in the 3rd if it’s not working well†– guess I was wrong about that, but he definitely does not look like the Ebs of old. Wonder if it’s mental because of the shoulder injury.

(5) Draisaitl was fighting the puck a bit on offence, but I think he had something like 60/65% faceoffs going up against Bergeron and Krejci and that’s pretty amazing for a 20 year old. He also has become much more responsible defensively. Hall is incredible and it was amazing to see his speed live. Can’t wait until I can see McDavid live. :)

(6) Klefbom and Fayne looked great. I though Fayne played a real good game.

(7) Gryba actually had a, maybe it was “high event†game, but I thought he played fairly well. Schultz, I just don’t know. I think Davidson honestly brings more at this point.

(8) Anyone who complains about 3v3 OT, I just don't get it - was my first time seeing it live and the crowd was oohing and awing for the entire 5 minutes. Far, far better than the shootout.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad