Post-Game Talk: Oilers 3 Bruins 2 in shootout

phaedrusDH

Jul 6, 2009
i like these charts...

i didn't see the game (just highlights). it looks like Gryba/Schultz had a surprisingly decent game - even in limited minutes against the B's top line, which outplayed almost everyone else.

Oilfan2

13.5%
Aug 12, 2005
He got double teamed ... good grief. He gave up the puck without a whimper and then chased Beleski almost all the way to the blueline - long after he'd already dished off. WTF is that? Big looping curl back into the play, no urgency whatsoever. Standing there doing nothing when Chara scores. Sekera's a d-man, he's supposed to be ****ing defending the net. Not talking loopy little skates out to the blueline. And yes Pakarinen could have played that better. But that doesn't absolve Sekera of doing nothing useful at all on the play.

Yeah, I'd love it if Sekera would block some shots. But that was not a block attempt. That was Sekera only at the very last second realizing the danger and moving in the direction of the puck carrier. Goalies usually don't like it when you attempt to block shots right outside the crease. And WTF was the three seconds prior to that? Falling into his own goal? Not covering anyone at all? Its just bad defense.

Add to that the fact that he can't seem to hit the net and is allergic to skating the puck out of his own end, what's to like about Sekera?

Didn't see the second one, but the first one was a cheap call and exactly the play you want to see an Oiler defenceman making. I'd buy Gryba's dinner for that hit if I was coach.

You DO realize they're playing a man-on-man system of defense right? ALL the defenders and the forwards are playing that in the defensive zone. Watch next time as Nurse, Schultz, Gryba, Fayne, etc. follow their man around..yes, even to the blue line so you don't get any points for that remark.

Actually, you're completely wrong in the whole sequence and as it's been pointed out several times, it was the forward's responsibility to pick up Chara...mostly Paka but Purcell could have moved in that direction as well.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
watched the game last night and Im happy you guys won the game. I think Nilsson was a great transaction in the offseason and he looks awesome. He keeps you guys in games and gives you guys chances to win.. and that's what you want in a goalie for sure. I think he will steal many wins for the Oilers this season

However I found it very discouraging that with all this talent, the Oilers best players were Letestu and Hendricks. If it wasn't for them and Nilsson, who knows what would have happened. And its just strange to me that with all this talent, that those 2 are two of the guys that the ones the coaches want in the shootout. I just find that the Oilers high picks seem so disinterested at many times during the games and its frustrating to watch.

anyways just came to give props to Letestu/Hendricks/Nilsson and say that they were great last night and carried the team to a win!!

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
You DO realize they're playing a man-on-man system of defense right? ALL the defenders and the forwards are playing that in the defensive zone. Watch next time as Nurse, Schultz, Gryba, Fayne, etc. follow their man around..yes, even to the blue line so you don't get any points for that remark.

Actually, you're completely wrong in the whole sequence and as it's been pointed out several times, it was the forward's responsibility to pick up Chara...mostly Paka but Purcell could have moved in that direction as well.

Dmen chasing forwards up to the blueline is exactly one of the things Ralph Krueger got BBQ'd on here for. Not saying it's wrong, but it's interesting that he had the same philosophy and got thrown under the bus for it.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Points? Sorry I don't follow.

Yes I realize they are playing a man to man. Stupidly I might add when you have a bunch of guys who skate as slow as Sekera did on that play. Beleskey didn't even have the puck and was no longer a threat of any sort yet Sekera just kept on following him. And I guess I take a different view of the so called double team. Sekera had it and gave it away under incoming pressure. Like he does so often. Call me crazy but I expect more from the only supposedly quality veteran d-man we have. If Petry had made that play the whole board would be calling him out all week. Gifs would be created.
And Sekera's responsibility was to give the puck away, follow the guy who took it away from him all the way up the wall although he didn't even have possession of the puck any longer, move as slowly as possible back toward the net once he realized how out of position he'd made himself, defend absolutely nobody, and turn around just in time to see the puck go in. Gotcha. :thumbu:

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
watched the game last night and Im happy you guys won the game. I think Nilsson was a great transaction in the offseason and he looks awesome. He keeps you guys in games and gives you guys chances to win.. and that's what you want in a goalie for sure. I think he will steal many wins for the Oilers this season

However I found it very discouraging that with all this talent, the Oilers best players were Letestu and Hendricks. If it wasn't for them and Nilsson, who knows what would have happened. And its just strange to me that with all this talent, that those 2 are two of the guys that the ones the coaches want in the shootout. I just find that the Oilers high picks seem so disinterested at many times during the games and its frustrating to watch.

anyways just came to give props to Letestu/Hendricks/Nilsson and say that they were great last night and carried the team to a win!!

Thanks for the back-handed compliment? The Hall-Draisaitl line produces chances (and goals) every game; however, the puck didn't go in last night. Nothing wrong with how that "talent" played. We have had a poor bottom-6 production this year and for the second game in a week had production from a line other than the top-6. We'll take that.

Why RNH and Eberle are struggling is a concern. RNH may being over-played (fighting the puck right now) and Eberle is still playing scared after his injury. Of course us Oilers fans would love if this "talent" could revert to form.

Overall, I disagree with your premise that Hendricks and Letestu were our best forwards. They played well and produced, which is great support to have; however, the Hall-Draisaitl line once again led the offense and took on a lot of important minutes.

Young Lions*

May 27, 2015
Awesome to see Letestu and Hendricks being key contributors to the win.

As for Leon looking slower, hell even McDavid slowed down a tad the last couple of games before his injury play wise. Leon is a big player and has been asked to play a ton and a ton of it against the best on the other team = welcome to RNH's world the last 3-4 years. When McDavid returns I'd like to see Leon moved back to the RW.

Hall-Nuge-Drai
Pou-McDavid-Eberle

:nod:

blupye*

Jul 6, 2011
Nova Scotia
After watching the game its clear RNH has to go, atleast Eberle did something to help the team win. Whenever RNH was on the ice it seemed like he tried everything in his power to make us lose the game; with the weak turn overs, failing to win puck battles along the boards, not covering the right players defensively, and failing to receive a pass in the defensive zone.

Handles the puck like TNT

Last edited by a moderator:

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
After watching the game its clear RNH has to go, atleast Eberle did something to help the team win. Whenever RNH was on the ice it seemed like he tried everything in his power to make us lose the game; with the weak turn overs, failing to win puck battles along the boards, not covering the right players defensively, and failing to receive a pass in the defensive zone.

Yep, poor 10 game stretch = let's ship RNH out of town. :sarcasm:

Even if one were to entertain the idea of trading RNH, it would be prudent to give him a year under McLellan to assess whether he is the player traded to acquire defensive help.

tawheed

Oct 4, 2010
Edmonton
Fun facts;

Nuge has been on ice for 12 GA in last 5GP, had culpability in many of those goals, and is -9 during that stretch. For clarity the team allowed 15 Ga in total during that span and Nuge with a brutal line change was responsible also for one of the game winning GA that was being scored while he was taking 10 secs to get on the bench.

This player has zero goals in the last 9 GP. He has 3 assists. One of those was for winning a faceoff. Not one of his assists was even noteworthy.

This player has 9 of his 17 pts this year within a 6 game stretch of fleeting fire. He's had 8pts in the other bookend 19GP. The net result being this is far from a player that can be relied to be there on a roadtrip or on a difficult spell with the team without McDavid.

This is Nuge after 5 years in the NHL still completely disappearing for long stretches at a time and not ever coming even close to what he established in his rookie season.

But theres always some excuse. Sick, injured, flu, etc. When is this player 100%?

It is really sad that Nuge is playing this poorly when the club, without McDavid, needs Nuge to be at his best.

At least Drai picked up the slack.

http://www.tsn.ca/trade-ryan-nugent-hopkins-really-1.403545

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
Heh. I guess I agree with Slaman on the Sekera double teamed thing. Just saw that post. Now, I also realize that Sekera is not without fault on the entire chain of events. He should have, being a much more experienced defender, handled the situation with a hella lot more poise than he did, and I also agree with those posters. But the point to me is that he wasn't getting (nor going to get) support. And he probably knew that at some point during the play. No matter how much Sekera ****ed up on the play, the other 4 team members on the ice should not be absolved from their responsibilities.

We've seen this kind of thing happen in the D zone far to often.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond

Thanks, I guess.

Anyway, I'll grant you that the Oilers high profile forwards weren't putting their best foot forward last night. It should be noted though that "all this talent" is currently missing what was its entire 2nd line during the first month of the season in McDavid, Yakupov and Pouliot. That's not helped.

Take a full 1st or 2nd line away from any team and they're going to feel the pinch eventually.

Oct 15, 2008

That was Purcell's man 100%. He tried but can't get on him too hard. Chara is going to go wherever he wants. Nobody is going to stop him.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
I don't understand all the blame being pinned on Sekera each game. He is playing the role of #1D (which is above his ideal position), playing on his wrong side (making blue line keep-ins, board battle, and zone exits more difficult), and with a rookie defensive partner (Nurse is playing well overall, and yet uneven at times like most rookie defenders). While not spectacular, he had been a positive contributor as of late.

Oct 15, 2008
Thanks, I guess.

Anyway, I'll grant you that the Oilers high profile forwards weren't putting their best foot forward last night. It should be noted though that "all this talent" is currently missing what was its entire 2nd line during the first month of the season in McDavid, Yakupov and Pouliot. That's not helped.

Take a full 1st or 2nd line away from any team and they're going to feel the pinch eventually.

That doesn't account for both Nuge and Eberle being allergic to the dirty areas of the ice and turning the puck over for prime scoring chances. Both were absolute garbage last night particularly in the second period. There is no excuse for that.

Either they are both playing hurt and in fact shouldn't even be in the lineup, or they are pretty much done here. They have never looked worse. And this is after being called out in the media by the coach, which I don't like. If there is one beef I have with McClellan so far that would be it.

McDeathbyCheerios*

I don't understand all the blame being pinned on Sekera each game. He is playing the role of #1D (which is above his ideal position), playing on his wrong side (making blue line keep-ins, board battle, and zone exits more difficult), and with a rookie defensive partner (Nurse is playing well overall, and yet uneven at times like most rookie defenders). While not spectacular, he had been a positive contributor as of late.
People don't like his style and need a guy to hate.

He makes mistakes but he plays well. He is also on his off side mentoring Nurse who is also having his struggles.

I'm fine with his play

oStealthKiller*

Master Monkey Herder
Jul 2, 2012
Edmonton
Nice to see letestu figure out how to tap that puck in...could have had at least 3 points more in the standings if he finished that same play earlier

StoveTopStauffer

Apr 6, 2012
Personally i think Sekera has looked pretty good lately. Closer to his contract value.

Trading RNH is pretty stupid. Considering we may need him or someone else to anchor a decent 3rd line. We certainly don't have a 3rd line right now.

Hall - Drai - Purcell
Pouliot - McD - Yak
Korpse - Nuge - Eberle
Wagon v1.10

McDeathbyCheerios*

Personally i think Sekera has looked pretty good lately. Closer to his contract value.

Trading RNH is pretty stupid. Considering we may need him or someone else to anchor a decent 3rd line. We certainly don't have a 3rd line right now.

Hall - Drai - Purcell
Pouliot - McD - Eberle
Korpse - Nuge - Pak
Wagon v1.10
Keeping Nuge so we have a 3c seems kind of silly. You move Nuge and a pick and prospect for a defender and a 3c. If you can't you can keep Nuge but keeping him so he can be our 3c is ridiculous

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Goaltending, it's all about goaltending. I will keep on maintaing that our defense though not stellar by any means is no where near as bad or the main culprit on this team the last 3 years.

Get good, not even great but good tending each game and this team has about 4 more wins. There are other teams out there with top end tenders that bail out their D mistakes constantly.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Points? Sorry I don't follow.

Yes I realize they are playing a man to man. Stupidly I might add when you have a bunch of guys who skate as slow as Sekera did on that play. Beleskey didn't even have the puck and was no longer a threat of any sort yet Sekera just kept on following him. And I guess I take a different view of the so called double team. Sekera had it and gave it away under incoming pressure. Like he does so often. Call me crazy but I expect more from the only supposedly quality veteran d-man we have. If Petry had made that play the whole board would be calling him out all week. Gifs would be created.
And Sekera's responsibility was to give the puck away, follow the guy who took it away from him all the way up the wall although he didn't even have possession of the puck any longer, move as slowly as possible back toward the net once he realized how out of position he'd made himself, defend absolutely nobody, and turn around just in time to see the puck go in. Gotcha. :thumbu:

So true. Peoples interpretation of what a man on man scheme should involve is odd here. If you're a D you don't chase a player to a non dangerous location and vacate an area around your net that will be a dangerous spot. This is why within any scheme reads are so important. You make decisions out there regardless of what a scheme is. No sensible Scheme MAKES a D desert front of net area as a must on any play. Could you imagine the insanity if opposition coaches figured who has who? They could just tell two players to attract the D away from the net and then crash the net with puck and other forwards. That would be like Eakinville. :laugh:

McDeathbyCheerios*

Goaltending, it's all about goaltending. I will keep on maintaing that our defense though not stellar by any means is no where near as bad or the main culprit on this team the last 3 years.

Get good, not even great but good tending each game and this team has about 4 more wins. There are other teams out there with top end tenders that bail out their D mistakes constantly.
I'm also a firm believer in if your goalie can play well your team plays more confident and looks much better. Sometimes defenders make odd mistakes because they don't trust their goalie and do stupid ****.

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007
How many points do Hall and Draisaitl have in the last 6 games?

I'm pretty sure Ryan Nugent-Hopkins is out-producing them in the last 6 games. Nail Yakupov is tied with them and he's been injured for the last 5 games.

Guys like Iiro Pakarinen, Letestu and Hendricks have double the points of anyone in the top 6 in the last 6 games - except for Nugent-Hopkins who matches them.

Everyone wants to crap on RNH and the bottom six, but really the entire top 6 outside of RNH has not been producing ****.

I am a little worried about Eberle but he is better than he looks right now.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton

From the limited viewing I had of last nights game, and a number of other games, Nilsson has bailed out the team big time on a number of occasions. It's probably a combination of both though.

Weitz

Sep 23, 2014
So because we won 1 game has the mood changed?

It was a good game but the Oilers were still quite out classed for some stretched. WAY too many turnovers at the boston blue line. Major gear grinder for me haha.

Still need a ton of moves to make this team competitive long term.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad