Post-Game Talk: Oilers 3 Bruins 2 in shootout

Logical McNonsense

Jul 3, 2015
Medicine Hat, AB
I see it as rewarding the guys who scored earlier and giving a guy who usually scores in the shootout the chance to prove himself.

I like Eberle when he's scoring, but the Oilers need someone who can dish some hits instead.

I feel like chai is waiting to see how Eberle and McDavid mesh.

Hall - Drai - Guy who can hit
Guy who can Hit 2 - McDavid - Eberle

That leaves Yak, Nuge and Pouliot as trade bait.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Not a perfect game but ok for 55 minutes. The last 5 in the third were rough.

Great to see our third line do some serious damage.

So sweet to see our goalie steal one for us. Nilsson is our starter for the foreseeable future. Talbot relegated to bench warmer.

Edit: honorable mention, I thought Sekera had an excellent game. Nurse is struggling a bit.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Nilsson looks more confident every game he's in.
Yep. I'm refraining from really commenting on the goaltenders because I'm not that familiar with either of them. But I agree with your thought that Nilsson seems to be gaining confidence rather than losing confidence. That's a pretty amazing thing to see from a goaltender playing behind this sad defense.
He looked so big, so composed in the ot and shootout. Really happy to see him get the win tonight.

That's twice on this road trip the team has taken points because Eberle knows how to put the puck in the net. Worth remembering that these goals don't show up in Eberle's personal stats, just the teams final point column. Nothing important really.

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto
Tough to see all the hate RNH is getting. He's nowhere up to form but he deserves more credit than some of the posters here seem to want to give him.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Tough to see all the hate RNH is getting. He's nowhere up to form but he deserves more credit than some of the posters here seem to want to give him.

You have to turn around quickly as an Oiler, if you turn around slowly there will be a knife in your back from the fans and the media before you can make 180.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Eberle did produce. He scored the game winner in a shootout. Might not count on his goals/asssists/points statline, but it counts in the win column.

that's true, and worth noting. I generally don't respect shootouts though. It's like a coin flip, and players who are good at it seem random.

I'm all for anything that puts a feather in his cap though, and it is true that the win came off of his stick, and of course off of Nilsson's save at the end.

The team has to know who is coming up. If we have have a chance to score and don't bury those chances, they can bury us in a hurry

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
Not sure what's up with Nuge. It's like his mind isn't in the game at all.

But good on Ebs for winning the game; maybe it will help get him going again. We know what he can do offensively. We just saw it the last half of last season when he was one of the NHL's leading scorers during that time. He just barely missed a goal earlier in the game, as well. I think he's close to feeling it again. With the Nuge, I don't even know what's going on.

McClelland

Aug 2, 2011
Bergen
Shots were 40-36. Both goalies made a bunch of big saves. This wasn't a case of a goalie stealing a game out there. It was an evenly played game from both teams.

You has a point there but when the game was on stake ,Nilsson at least won the extrapoint!

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
I'm hoping for Nuge's sake that he is playing with an injury. Otherwise, yikes.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Eberle was getting crapped on all night in the GDT, but the Hall-Draisaitl-Eberle line created a lot of chances all night. Eberle played a strong game. He's the whipping boy right now along with Nuge, but there was nothing wrong with his game tonight.
I bet he'd say different after missing that yawning cage in the second.
Eberle is being paid to score. He needs to make that shot every time it lands on his stick.
Generally I agree though. Eberle had a much better game tonight.
And as I posted above. That's one extra point in the team's total thanks to Eberle.
Regardless, I expect to read someone posting "addition by subtraction" before the night is over.

Jun 9, 2011
He's one of our best players. This year he is struggling and has been ill. It happens. He will get back to normal and the fans will embrace him again.

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
The ice was egregiously bad in the zone the Bruins were defending in OT.

Just can't get out of this building any faster.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
on the bright side, our #1D and #1G are coming around. I'll echo Aerchon's love for Sekera on the night. He's been really good lately. This is a big difference compared to earlier in the season and gives a good foundation going forward.

Our bottom six players are coming through as well. Pakman was putting in some goals a few games ago. Letestu and Hendricks have been stepping up. Dare I say that if the top six can get going, we might be a good team before McDavid steps back on the ice. It's a tall order I know, but it feels like we are so close

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Shots were 40-36. Both goalies made a bunch of big saves. This wasn't a case of a goalie stealing a game out there. It was an evenly played game from both teams.

I call that a steal. But I suppose you could just say it was a great goalie battle where Nilsson was clearly the better.

Really just splitting hairs tho.

Easily one of the best goalie performances of the year for us.

slaman

McOilers Fan
Oct 22, 2010
Toronto
Not going to lie... I hated to see RNH and Ebs out there together in OT, especially after they lost the last two for us.

RNH was really struggling with the puck tonight. I think this talk of trading him is stupidity however - his challenges are clearly mental at this point. He'll gain his confidence back and be back to his regular self. It's tough taking on the other team's top lines night after night.

I love Drai, but he made some horrendous plays in our zone this game. We need Nuge.

McMozesmadness

5-14-6-1
Feb 17, 2013
Edmonton, AB
Giving up the late goal is super frustrating, because you could see it coming.

Also the reffing was atrocious, however this time it was the other team getting screwed.

BTW, I think we have a goalie... How weird is that.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Glad to hear we won.
I listened on the radio because watching the Oilers hasn't been very enjoyable for quite some time.

Love to see Hendricks put points up.
Dude never asked to be traded here and he's bled and pissed copper and blue every time he's stepped on the ice for us.
If we're not looking respectable at the trade deadline next season I really hope we trade him to a great team set up to go deep into the playoffs. He deserves it.

slaman

McOilers Fan
Oct 22, 2010
Toronto
By the way, the past few games, the refs have been on our side. Almost all calls against Boston were weak.

Where are the ref conspiracy theorists now?

Bangers

May 31, 2006
If Anders keeps it up, the situation will be eerily similar to how Chia signed Tim Thomas to back up Raycroft.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
By the way, the past few games, the refs have been on our side. Almost all calls against Boston were weak.

Where are the ref conspiracy theorists now?

if they keep it up....then sure.

but they sure as hell helped us dig a ditch to start the season.

the refs aren't that impactful to an average team but when you're a young fragile team trying to turn it around I honestly think they've been pretty brutal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad