Post-Game Talk: Oilers 2 Flames 1 in a shootout

WayneGreatzky

Nov 26, 2014
Edmonton
hJH0Qbg.gif

Haha love the enthusiasm. The kids got spirit.

Hope the Oilers can get a couple more wins before the ASB and HappyYak sticks around :thumbu:

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB
That was another missed point I wanted to make...Yak with a good game.
Not liking his ice time though, wanted to see more of him, .liked what he was bringing, and thought he would've looked dynamite in OT. Maybe when McDavid is back, he can get his opportunity....give more options than just Drai-Hall, RNH-Ebs.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
Yakupov looked like he won the American Lotto as the bench was emptying onto the ice :laugh:

Hall is probably the most competitive guy on the team. But no one loves when the Oilers score or win more than Yak. Every goal the team scores is like one he scores. Love that guy.

I really hope the Oilers can figure out a way to fix the D using picks and FA so they can keep RNH and Yak.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Some absolute hilarity over at HFFlames, including:

Bashing the refereeing that saw fit to give them 5 powerplays to our 1

Saying 'we dominated them all night' when the shots were 29-13 in the 2nd and 3rd periods

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Not liking his ice time though, wanted to see more of him, .liked what he was bringing, and thought he would've looked dynamite in OT. Maybe when McDavid is back, he can get his opportunity....give more options than just Drai-Hall, RNH-Ebs.

Yaks energy, and since he has been back his offensive chances, has made him look very good.

However, I don't know how you overlook how he lost his guy (Bennet) on the flames lone goal tonight. Or how absolutely lost he is in his own zone still, after 215 games he just isn't getting it.

With McDavid he seems less a defensive liability and also a solid complementary offensive player. But that is ALL because of McDavid.

Barring a strange/miraculous leap in Yaks defensive awareness he will never be a consistent guy you can rely on in his own zone.

A team in todays NHL just can't have those kind of players and succeed. The Schultz's, Hunts, and Semin's just never provide enough offense to offset their terrible defense. The Oilers certainly have far too many of those type players right now.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
Some absolute hilarity over at HFFlames, including:

Bashing the refereeing that saw fit to give them 5 powerplays to our 1

Saying 'we dominated them all night' when the shots were 29-13 in the 2nd and 3rd periods
Getting outshot badly after the first period is the defintion of dominating a team all night.

Last edited:

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Yaks energy, and since he has been back his offensive chances, has made him look very good.

However, I don't know how you overlook how he lost his guy (Bennet) on the flames lone goal tonight. Or how absolutely lost he is in his own zone still, after 215 games he just isn't getting it.

With McDavid he seems less a defensive liability and also a solid complementary offensive player. But that is ALL because of McDavid.

Barring a strange/miraculous leap in Yaks defensive awareness he will never be a consistent guy you can rely on in his own zone.

A team in todays NHL just can't have those kind of players and succeed. The Schultz's, Hunts, and Semin's just never provide enough offense to offset their terrible defense. The Oilers certainly have far too many of those type players right now.

I feel like people don't watch enough non oiler hockey when they make this kind of statement. There are plenty of awe-inspiringly horrible defensive forwards around the league. The difference is most teams have the defence to bail them out and the forward depth to shelter them. The problem is we have too many guys, like Eberle, Purcell, Pouliot most nights, and Yakupov that are either clueless or can't be bothered to play defence.

Every team has guys like that.

Hell the almighty Gaudreau turned the puck over like he was a baker making pastries tonight.

Klimando Kostani

Sep 17, 2013
Victoria
I feel like people don't watch enough non oiler hockey when they make this kind of statement. There are plenty of awe-inspiringly horrible defensive forwards around the league. The difference is most teams have the defence to bail them out and the forward depth to shelter them. The problem is we have too many guys, like Eberle, Purcell, Pouliot most nights, and Yakupov that are either clueless or can't be bothered to play defence.

Hell the almighty Gaudreau turned the puck over like he was a baker making pastries tonight.

I feel like people on this board don't watch enough non oilers hockey Everytime I sign on

Suxnet

Jan 4, 2012

Fine case of confirmation bias here.

Yes, let's attribute his solid defensive play earlier in the season to McDavid. Only possible explanation. Oh who am I kidding. McDavid holds the life and death of Nail in his hands.

Let's be honest here. You'll never give Yak any credit whether he deserves it or not.

Klimando Kostani

Sep 17, 2013
Victoria
Our team plays far too much of a perimeter game. Calgary has players always cutting to the middle, somehow muscling their way through. Our skilled forwards skate into the zone button hook, cycle, then lose the puck.

We have to be the most perimeter styled team in the NHL. Need to get more players like Bennett. There I said it. We lack battlers.

I think this is mclellans decision

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011

All you did was reword what I wrote. See bolded.

Although the difference is that Yak is the clear cut worst of the guys you list.

I watch a ton of hockey other than the Oilers. There are very few Yaks, Schultz, Hunts, and Semins on other teams.

There are of course a few Eberle and Purcell types.

The worst thing is that Yak has been sheltered with low quality of competition and offensive/neutral zone draws often and he still looks like Garbage in his own zone. Even sheltered he gets exploited. Just shouldn't be happening to the extent it is.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007

Although the difference is that Yak is the clear cut worst of the guys you list.

I watch a ton of hockey other than the Oilers. There are very few Yaks, Schultz, Hunts, and Semins on other teams.

The worst thing is that Yak has been sheltered with low quality of competition and offensive/neutral zone draws often and he still looks like Garbage in his own zone. Even sheltered he gets exploited. Just shouldn't be happening to the extent it is.

To be fair to Yak (and I don't think he'll ever be a great player for the record) ... his plus/minus difference from this year is a monstrous improvement. I know that's not the be all/end all but I do think it is a telling stat.

Yes he screwed up once tonight in a fairly big way, but it happens to the best of them at times, it's a fast game.

We're unlikely to get anything decent for him via trade anytime soon, so we'd be better off just letting it ride with him.

If he can be a 50+ point winger with McDavid ... there are worse things in the world than that.

PBandJ

If it didn't happen in the 80's, it didn't happen
Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton, Alberta
Beating the Flames is always nice.

I like what I've seen from Kassian. This could end up being a great acquisition.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany

It might have to do with how much he can play, coming back from a high ankle sprain can be a b***h. The last thing you want his is him re-aggravating it, and going back on the IR, likely leading to him missing time after the All Star break.

underdog

Jul 30, 2003
British Columbia
Visit site
I like Kassian, when we got him I said to my brother when he was on nucks, oil and flames fans really hated him so if we can get the same hate for him from our main rivals this is gonna be a good trade.

Oct 15, 2008

Give it a rest. You've got an opinion like everyone else but are certainly no expert.

If Yak had "no clue" based on the one goal against last night like you claim, he would be nowhere near Bennett, instead of being close enough that you can finger him as a defensive dolt.

If you want to point fingers at poor performers defensively last night you would be talking about Davidson who made at least 3 obvious gaffes in his own end in the first period alone.

But no, let's finger Yak, because he was the closest guy to the flame that scored their only goal.

Brilliant analysis.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Sick of homer announcers on a national broadcast.

Calgary leading 1-0 and have a 5-3 advantage and of course a faceoff in Edmonton zone.

"Its crucial that the Flames win this faceoff and score here"

In any neutral situation EVER, in that exact predicament the announcer would be saying its crucial for Edm to win that faceoff and kill the penalty.

That's invariably the way that would be called.

But Homer flames national telecast..

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
The Flames are an absolute garbage heap of a team. One line and a bunch of crap. And yet the Oilers could only barely squeak out a win by the skin of their teeth. That's terrifying and sobering at the same time.

I love that the Oilers won but the Alberta is a black hole of hockey disaster right now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad