Post-Game Talk: Oilers 2 Flames 1 in a shootout

Jun 22, 2009
Give Fayne some damn credit folks. He's been an NHL defenceman since he's been called up. Nice to see, I actually really like Fayne.

LockDown21

May 24, 2015
Someone on HF made a post that basically said people who never played the game at a high level couldn't understand why players didn't play at a high level of intensity all the time. I think he was mostly right, however, watching the flames they seem to almost always have their motor running pretty high.

On the opposite end of the spectrum of this is Justin Schultz. Tonight, late in the third period of a 1-1 game I watched him go into the corner to retrieve a puck just as fast as he needed to in order to move it before a flames player got there. He doesn't seem to care or understand that putting a little more effort in at a key time might give his partner, who he's (telegraphed, it was the only play he would make) ringing the puck to around the boards, a little more time to make a better exit play out of d-zone. He's the worlds greatest shinny player of all time but he could have been an NHL hockey player. I don't care how many people who played the game at a high level turn their nose up at this comment but Justin Schultz straight up just needs to play harder and quicker in his own zone. I'm tired of watching him play hockey, not in the way I'm tired of watching a guy like Gazdic play hockey. I tired of watching a guy who does have the skill to be a good hockey player fricken half ass it all the time.

You're right on the perimeter play. Doesn't seem like anyone goes to the net to stay there.

Well said. I think this is what most us oiler fans see as well which is why he gets so much hate. It's like he thinks giving this boderline embarrassing level of effort is acceptable. This is the NHL you either give it everything you got or gtfo in my opinion.

Kepler 186f

Red Shifted
Dec 17, 2007
Great game from Talbot. Without that first period performance the game would have been over.

Glad to see the team pick up their game in the last 2 periods and take it to the Flames.

And what was it with Romanuk calling Klinkhammer a defenseman all the time? Couldn't anyone correct him? What a failure on a National broadcast.

KlimasLoveChild

Feb 25, 2012
The Brodie (And Flames in general) love fest was was disgusting last night. I do believe Brodie is a great D. But top 5? No way..i can easily think of 5 others id prefer to have.
And the 3 stars are a joke. Brodie had 3 SOG, 3 Blocked shots and 26:19 and was -1
Sekera last night had 3 SOG, 3 Blocked shots, Played 27:25 and was +1. But no one cares cause he isnt named "Brodie"

And Hiller over Cam last night was brutal imo.

Apparently Sekera has played a lot of hockey for the Czech national team. Things you learn on HNIC broadcasts...:skeptic:...

Psychoil

Mar 10, 2011
I hate Kelly Hrudy, on what planet does he think Monahan and Drai are a wash? Nuge is better than monahan, let alone Drai? HAHAHA, what a joke

dookers9

Mar 30, 2008
Edmonton
I hate Kelly Hrudy, on what planet does he think Monahan and Drai are a wash? Nuge is better than monahan, let alone Drai? HAHAHA, what a joke

It's the byproduct of the indoctrination that comes when you're assigned to a particular team's broadcasts. Hrudey's the Flames' dude, lives in the city and evidently drinks the water. He's myopic and biased, and when you're a fan of any team the Flames are playing, you end up throwing up a little in your mouth as you listen to the love-in. But he's no different than the Drew Remendas of the broadcast world. Flames fans will have much the same to say about his Oilers perpectives, I would bet.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Give Fayne some damn credit folks. He's been an NHL defenceman since he's been called up. Nice to see, I actually really like Fayne.

Thank God he's finally playing like an NHL defenceman, because he's certainly being paid a healthy sum to play like one.

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007
I thought Nuge was "decent" last night, same goes for all of our "creative offensive forwards". Decent to me is middle-six territory, 3-4M$ contracts. Basically, we're not getting value on any of these chumps. Nobody is producing so far in January.

Bag skate em for $2-3M worth of effort if they won't bring it in the game. That's what I'd do and I'm not even particularly iron fisted.

Although, we pay these guys big money to be creative offensive players and then we tell them to shoot from everywhere and dump it in. You won't get 6M value that way unless you're dealing with elite shooters. These guys have strength in playmaking, speed, and vision -and simplifying their game isn't necessarily going to help you extract value from them in this situation.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
How are people not ripping on Hall, and picking on Yak? Hall was far worse then Yak st both ends of the ice and has looked bad the last 5 games.

Yak looked like his usual self this year in his own end, a little lost but at least in the same hemisphere, he is looking a lot more dangerous with the puck since coming back from injury hope he keeps that up as I never expect him to be anything more then passable in his own end.

Hall was our worst player by a country mile but Yak was the deserved goat for the one goal against in this game.

Clearly Yak is lost in his own zone all the time where Hall until recently was playing very well.

Yak is looking very dangerous in the offensive zone right now and that is something we currently need a lot more of. But criticism of his overall game is certainly warranted.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011

Was big part of another goal recently as well. Came down low and provided a perfectly timed screen.

I like Fayne considerablly more than Schultz and hope he can consistently get back to being a solid dman again.

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
I absolutely hate the shootout, hopefully they change it to just more 3v3 OT. What a brain drain at the end of the game.

How long can games last going 3v3. Would think 99% would be over after 10 minutes.

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
Was big part of another goal recently as well. Came down low and provided a perfectly timed screen.

I like Fayne considerablly more than Schultz and hope he can consistently get back to being a solid dman again.

Its rare that all Oiler D can have decent games on the same night unfortunately, lately Davidson and Nurse have had issues with their games while Shultz has improved as well as Fayne.

Does anyone have any idea whatsoever how long Klefbom is expected out?

oil Leaks

The Ultimate Decoy
Jul 5, 2011
I absolutely hate the shootout, hopefully they change it to just more 3v3 OT. What a brain drain at the end of the game.

How long can games last going 3v3. Would think 99% would be over after 10 minutes.

I would change it to 10 mins of 4 on 4

oilz89*

The Flames are an absolute garbage heap of a team. One line and a bunch of crap. And yet the Oilers could only barely squeak out a win by the skin of their teeth. That's terrifying and sobering at the same time.

I love that the Oilers won but the Alberta is a black hole of hockey disaster right now.

Thank you Mr. Spector :)

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
Nuge could take a dump on center ice and there'd be people posting this.

Its like Nuge nation or something. He blew scoring chances as usual including what should have been an automatic tap in goal on an extremely fortunate bounce off the backboards. He looked clumsy as usual and right now from a scoring pov possesses the poise of Anton Lander. Which is a significant problem in that he's getting top linemates, top minutes, top PP minutes.

lol as well on one play he blew the zone, forgot to take the puck with him, so instead of having a break two Flames say thank you, go in on net and almost score. With only Talbot saving bacon.

Plus whaddya mean "besides the two penalties" Those were both abysmal plays and we got the worst of both worlds in that instance. A guy that is one of the least physical players on the team somehow taking repetitive penalties. Both the same, breaking a players stick, virtually guaranteed penalties.

To do that once in a game is a problem. Twice in the same period? :shakehead

+1

Thank you for pointing this out. I'm half confident asserting these guys are members of the "Cult of Nuge", burning incense and laying flowers at the feet of RNH in effigy. It's absurd. At best he wasn't terrible last night, but he sure as hell didn't do anything to obscure the fact he's been a passenger, virtually the entire season.

Either that, or they're confusing his play with the version of him they're dominating the NHL with in NHL 16.

I still think it's just fans with too strong of an attachment that they can't see certain players' faults [accept?]. It doesn't apply to just Nuge but most of the usual Core [Hall, Yak, Ebs, Nuge]. I also notice that criticism of Nuge/Ebs/Yak tend elicit greater responses:laugh:

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013

I appreciate that Fayne has been playing better lately, but going forward he's redundant. We have a lot of two-way D in the NHL and AHL. When Fayne is on his game he's worth his cap hit, but he's signed for three seasons and that's rough.

For Schultz, he's still young and he could potentially be a useful player for us going forward. Ideally, we find that top pairing Dman who gives us offense, and then we can walk away from Schultz. As it stands now though, he's a player that remains intriguing assuming that he continually improves under this coach. He is coming off an injury, and based off his last stretch of play it's safe to say he's getting progressively better so far this season. That's not saying much, but we'll see what he looks like closer to the trade deadline.

Philly85*

I Ain't Even Mad
Mar 28, 2009
I thought the Oil looked bad last night. Hall continues to be awful. Talbot was fantastic. Sekera was very good. Just glad they got the 2 points and moving on.

Juxta Position

Jul 2, 2006
It's the byproduct of the indoctrination that comes when you're assigned to a particular team's broadcasts. Hrudey's the Flames' dude, lives in the city and evidently drinks the water. He's myopic and biased, and when you're a fan of any team the Flames are playing, you end up throwing up a little in your mouth as you listen to the love-in. But he's no different than the Drew Remendas of the broadcast world. Flames fans will have much the same to say about his Oilers perpectives, I would bet.

while that is true, HNIC is not a flames regional broacast. hrudey should be putting away that regional crap for a nation broacast. it's embarrasing how badly hrudey swings from the flames nuts, on what is supposed to be an unbiased national broacast.

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
Hall clearly going through one of his poor streaks right now.

Feel like Draisaitl has hit the wall a bit.

RipsADrive

Sep 16, 2008
Edmonton
Hall clearly going through one of his poor streaks right now.

Feel like Draisaitl has hit the wall a bit.

I hope they'll be able to keep pick up a few more wins before the all-star break.

The time off and the guys returning from injury should help some of the guys like Draisaitl and Nurse who seem like the grind is getting to them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad