Post-Game Talk: Oilers 2 Flames 1 in a shootout

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
Flames regulation record is horrible. How long can they keep going on like this. For two seasons now they've been milking OT to hang around. Other than that a non playoff team.

They won't make it anyway.

I'll be fine with them not making it. Will be an off season where I won't have to see them being the blackhawks 2.0, toews monahan 2.0, kane gaudreau 2.0, kylington karlsson 2.0 potential, etc. :laugh:

t0nedeff

Jun 29, 2010
I swear to God if they call up Hunt instead of Reinhart I'll throw my laptop against the wall.

Mcnofool6110

Re-defining Rock Bottom since '07
Dec 7, 2011
Sydney
Moving from Edmonton today...

And Teddy Purcell scores for me in the shootout?

I might just tear up in the airport. I WILL NEVER STOP LOVING YOU, TEDDY.

NewBoysClub97*

All-Star
Jun 1, 2012
Vancouver
Interesting, I didn't notice him in OT. Well, I hope Sekera, Davidson, Gryba and Fayne are ready to play if that's the plan.

He had that one play where Hamilton dumped it past him and still beat him to the puck and won the board battle in OT. Looked like the hulk compared to Schultz

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
When you employ blowhards like Krypeos, Romanuk, Hrudey, etc.. you're going to have a bad time. Poor Elliote has to deal with those clowns on the panel.

Friedman went hard at Kypreos when the latter was trying to say the Oilers blew a potential trade for Jones, and now RNH was damaged goods that couldn't be traded. Hrudey doesn't even pretend that he isn't a Flames fan.

WayneGreatzky

Nov 26, 2014
Edmonton
Don't know if this was mentioned, but the Oilers win tonight snapped a 7 game win streak for the Flames in Edmonton.

Good work Oilers :thumbu:

McJeety McJeet

Nov 5, 2011
Edmonton
Our team plays far too much of a perimeter game. Calgary has players always cutting to the middle, somehow muscling their way through. Our skilled forwards skate into the zone button hook, cycle, then lose the puck.

We have to be the most perimeter styled team in the NHL. Need to get more players like Bennett. There I said it. We lack battlers.

Someone on HF made a post that basically said people who never played the game at a high level couldn't understand why players didn't play at a high level of intensity all the time. I think he was mostly right, however, watching the flames they seem to almost always have their motor running pretty high.

On the opposite end of the spectrum of this is Justin Schultz. Tonight, late in the third period of a 1-1 game I watched him go into the corner to retrieve a puck just as fast as he needed to in order to move it before a flames player got there. He doesn't seem to care or understand that putting a little more effort in at a key time might give his partner, who he's (telegraphed, it was the only play he would make) ringing the puck to around the boards, a little more time to make a better exit play out of d-zone. He's the worlds greatest shinny player of all time but he could have been an NHL hockey player. I don't care how many people who played the game at a high level turn their nose up at this comment but Justin Schultz straight up just needs to play harder and quicker in his own zone. I'm tired of watching him play hockey, not in the way I'm tired of watching a guy like Gazdic play hockey. I tired of watching a guy who does have the skill to be a good hockey player fricken half ass it all the time.

You're right on the perimeter play. Doesn't seem like anyone goes to the net to stay there.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
Friedman went hard at Kypreos when the latter was trying to say the Oilers blew a potential trade for Jones, and now RNH was damaged goods that couldn't be traded. Hrudey doesn't even pretend that he isn't a Flames fan.

and that's why I like Friedman. He's an actual expert.
I really don't get how why they employ such terrible hockey players as analysts and experts.

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB
John hockey was a complete non factor tonight...like MIA.
Hall with a bad game, but gets the faceoff win for the apple...good on him.
Talbot was rock solid:handclap:...that save? WOW.
Hrudy??...:dunno: this guy, ..I just don't know how somebody can be that obtuse.

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB
Missed this game. How did Zackkass look?

Good I thought, as well as the coaching staff...they had him out in the final seconds of a 1-1 game to close it out...looks like he's gaining their confidence.

I actually like how he looks...eating a bit of crow on that.

ScrillaVilla

Sep 22, 2008
Edmonton
Whats with the ugly win nonsense? We out shot and out chanced the flames pretty handily and dominated in shot attempts at 5 on 5. Scoring chances were 27-19 Oilers and high danger chances were 7-5 Oilers, again 5 on 5. Even with all the gifts from the refs the flames still got out shot 37-32. If they put up these types of numbers for the rest of the year, we might even make the playoffs.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
axQHYRU.gif

WayneGreatzky

Nov 26, 2014
Edmonton
Whats with the ugly win nonsense? We out shot and out chanced the flames pretty handily and dominated in shot attempts at 5 on 5. Scoring chances were 27-19 Oilers and high danger chances were 7-5 Oilers, again 5 on 5. Even with all the gifts from the refs the flames still got out shot 37-32. If they put up these types of numbers for the rest of the year, we might even make the playoffs.

I'm with you (except maybe the playoffs part :sarcasm:) I'm just happy to see them get Wins, no matter how they get them.

It sucks that a divisional foe got a point as well but a Wins a Win baby!

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
And you wonder why the Oilers don't score a lot .....they always look for the perfect or fancy play...goals are scored in the hard area in front of the net.....Oilers refuse to force the puck to the net and battle in the hard areas to score.....NHL teams will let you play on the outside, cut off passing lanes and capitalize on mistakes all night....thats why a team of high picks Seem to only score 1..maybe 2 goals most games

While I agree, there are plenty of fancy style players that are tearing up the league. Guys like Kuznetsov, Gaudreau, Kane, etc... are tearing it up while Getzlaf, Toews, etc.. are struggling.

I think the main thing for the Oilers is a lack of offensive ability on the back end. You need the defense to carry the puck up or set up odd man rushes. The assist total by our defenseman is abysmal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad