Post-Game Talk: Oilers 2 Blues 1

McTrashBoat

Show me the deed
Nov 28, 2014

source.gif

Things are looking okay

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
Just checked. Not quite. But only 3 shots against in the final 10 minutes of the 3rd period and none for the final 5 minutes. That's pretty rock solid closing out the game.
I don't know I think Flames win was more impressive it was at home in Ot much better 2-1 win Oilers was at the end of 6 game road trip in a month that they were aways for 3 weeks .
just filling in for the missing flame lovers tonight.

oljimmy

May 9, 2013
3rd wasn't as bad as some people are saying. Good times know how to grind out a tired road 3rd with a lead and limit high-danger scoring chances, which we obviously did. Aside from that weird bounce on the faceoff, does anyone remember an actual quality scoring chance for STL in the 3rd? That's a great period, despite Remenda's yammering about having to get a 3rd goal.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Oilers sweep the series with the Blues which is insane to me. They also survive a pretty tough road trip and come out pretty nice at the end of it

Now its a pretty smooth schedule here on out. In the next ~10 games they play Red Wings, Stars, Canucks, Avalanche twice. They also play Islanders and MTL whom they match up well against

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
imo that third period was by our design. They say the great teams play shutdown hockey with the lead. That's how you become a winner. We aren't superb at it, but we really limited chances of rebounds, and we had some excellent chances on the counter attack as well. We have to learn how to play this way. We would have been more aggressive if we were behind or tied.

And btw, we had roughly equal shots with the Blues.

The team has been grinding out wins in "playoff type" games for a couple of months now. That's what last nights game looked like to me. It will only help this team moving forward.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Last 10 games: 6-4
Last 15 games: 8-7
Last 20 games: 12-8

A pace that will let get us into the playoffs.

I never would have believed that was our record in the last twenty games after reading all the doom and gloom on here lately. We all wanted this team to be playing meaningful games in the second half of the season this year. Not only are we playing in them but the team has a .600 record in them.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Cause the Oilers were just indiscriminately icing the puck the entire period.
That so seldom works but somehow they got away with it tonight.

Thought MPS looked good. He may round into a serviceable NHLer yet.
Another healthy scratch for Yak. No surprise.

I've seen a few Blues games lately and MPS has looked pretty good in all of them. Nice to see as I've always liked him and out of all the guys that left here I always hoped he'd be the one to make something of his career.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
The team has been grinding out wins in "playoff type" games for a couple of months now. That's what last nights game looked like to me. It will only help this team moving forward.

The Oilers have the most one goal game wins in the NHL. Its kind of a double edge sword kind of thing. Its a positive because it shows we can win when games get tight and hold on to a win pretty well (leading after second we are like 18-1). So this will serve us well in playoffs when games are tighter. Its a negative though because it signals we cant put a team away. 1 goal games are razor close and one bounce can easily tie a game and completely flip it. Itd be nice to see us having the ability to bury a team when up by 1 and end up winning by 3 or 4. That way we comfortably can win

Winning close ones or winning via come backs is a nice short term thing as it hardens the team. But long term it does signal some potential issues. Although I think once depth scoring starts to kick in if Lucic/Eberle/Pouliot wake up will put us over the edge

THall4

Feb 25, 2014
Edmonton, AB
Big big believe in Dadbot...butIm gonna eat my crow...when we got him...I was upset that we got another backup goalie...didn't think he would pan out as a real starter...boy was I wrong.

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
I've seen a few Blues games lately and MPS has looked pretty good in all of them. Nice to see as I've always liked him and out of all the guys that left here I always hoped he'd be the one to make something of his career.
Yup it is pretty funny that teams like the Flames give up 2nd rounders at draft for struggling players but ignore a free waiver pick ups like Prv early in the season when they were struggling bad

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad