Post-Game Talk: Oilers 2 Blues 1

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
How awesome would it be if we meet Calgary in the first round? I want Calgary to do just well enough that we have the chance to drink the tears of flames fans crying about the playoffs.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
imo that third period was by our design. They say the great teams play shutdown hockey with the lead. That's how you become a winner. We aren't superb at it, but we really limited chances of rebounds, and we had some excellent chances on the counter attack as well. We have to learn how to play this way. We would have been more aggressive if we were behind or tied.

And btw, we had roughly equal shots with the Blues.

MuzzaFuzza

MVP(s)
Apr 20, 2012
Red Deer
Matt Hendricks doesn't have a single useful quality as an NHL player. Slow as ****, dumb as ****, zero talent.

Literally no clue as to how he is still in the Laague.

I guess he is willing to place his 2 remaining brain cells directly in front of a slapshot so that's why?

Anyways. Big win, salvaged a really tough trip. Yay!

Hendo has been a warrior here, I most certainly don't want him back next year but take it easy

McDeepika

Aug 14, 2004
Problem is I'm not sure I really want a Nurse-Benning pairing to become a thing either. Not much experience between those two.

Would be nice to have a playoff proven vet on the bottom pairing. Either on the left or right side. Although Chia talked about liking his defensive depth, hence the Davidson trade, so they very likely stand pat on the back end.

I actually really liked the Benning Davidson pairing towards the end. Thought we got some good minutes from them.

Nurse needs to change his game up a little bit. He is too preoccupied with wrestling guys in front of the net. Any time a puck comes near him, he isn't in a position to get it.

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
Last 10 games: 6-4
Last 15 games: 8-7
Last 20 games: 12-8

A pace that will let get us into the playoffs.

Alawishis

...so anyway.
Mar 12, 2008
Sherwood Park
Kept waiting for the Oilers to blow the game open. They played really well all around. Pretty much controlled that game through most of it. I thought RNH played fantastic. He was all over the ice and was a big reason for Lucic's goal.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Feb is now done. Went 3-3 on the worst road trip of the season. Heading into a very good looking March schedule in fine shape.

I was really hoping they'd have at least 75 points by the end of February to maintain a solid pace to make the playoffs. 76 is just fine by me.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Oilers deserve some credit for the first 40 minutes. Blues only had 8 shots at ES in the first two periods. Couldn't get anything going other than on the PP. That was a solid road game. Even in the 3rd the Oilers didn't give up a mountain of chances.

Diamondillium

DO YOU WANT ANTS!?
Aug 22, 2011
Edmonton, AB
Do we really want LA to win? I'd rather get some gap from the 9th place team. Personally I'd like to see the Flames in it too. Not that I think we'd ever end up meeting this year but it would start to almost heat up the rivalry already. I kind of want Anaheim to drop off and Calgary to finish there. I would absolutely love to play them in the first round.

We absolutely do. I know it sounds cocky, but statistically we're basically done the fight for playoffs. We're in the fight for avoiding the wildcard spot against Sharks now.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Not really thrilled with how we've played this last stretch, but I'll take it I guess.

Chia needs to find a back up tomorrow, don't want to play Talbot to death.

oilinblood

Aug 8, 2009
imo that third period was by our design. They say the great teams play shutdown hockey with the lead. That's how you become a winner. We aren't superb at it, but we really limited chances of rebounds, and we had some excellent chances on the counter attack as well. We have to learn how to play this way. We would have been more aggressive if we were behind or tied.

And btw, we had roughly equal shots with the Blues.

if we were better at the counter (think of the big stacked teams like chicago, dallas and detroit back in the day) we could destroy teams while shutting things down. you need a very fast player on each line to really counter.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
Like someone else posted...really tough and gritty win. We kept them outside for the better part of the game as well. Getting their playoff chops up to snuff. And for the guys complaining about Hendricks, I'm not sure how much you understand the qualities of having a 4th liner wearing the **** out of players along the boards for most of the game. It makes a difference in the outcome more than you'd expect.

HockeyGuy1964

Oct 7, 2013
Idk man, that 3rd period was all blues.

There was not 1 point during that period that I thought it was slipping away. They were always in the right defensive position. That's how good but tired teams close out games.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
Like someone else posted...really tough and gritty win. We kept them outside for the better part of the game as well. Getting their playoff chops up to snuff. And for the guys complaining about Hendricks, I'm not sure how much you understand the qualities of having a 4th liner wearing the **** out of players along the boards for most of the game. It makes a difference in the outcome more than you'd expect.

Only issue with Hendricks is that I personally don't like him playing too much. He's a fine player if they switch him in and out. That potential 3 on 1 where he negated it by going offside did bug me though.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Not really thrilled with how we've played this last stretch, but I'll take it I guess.

Chia needs to find a back up tomorrow, don't want to play Talbot to death.

Almost every game on this trip was a tight one. Oilers can win those. They were probably a bit weary but now get some good rest.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
There was not 1 point during that period that I thought it was slipping away. They were always in the right defensive position. That's how good but tired teams close out games.

Had several icings in the 3rd that worried me a bit since the blues pressed hard that period. Glad they still won and Talbot was simply a wall.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Oilers played reasonably well at even strength throughout the road trip outside of Tampa, I think. PK needs to get a hell of a lot better.

McTedi

Jul 16, 2008
Edmonton
I've always respected Hendricks work ethic but he made some dumb plays out there. Skated his line offside 3 times, twice it almost looked on purpose. And skated around lost without a stick on the PK. He is a vet but dude needs to keep it simple, pucks deep and bang bodies.

Wadewilson

Jun 27, 2006
Canada
I suppose it depends if you'd rather be 4 points up on the Flames and 11 points up on the Kings. Or 6 points up on the Flames and 9 up on the Kings.

I'll be happy with no 3 point night.

Always cheer for a Flames loss. I'd rather the Kings in the playoffs and the Oilers out

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad