Post-Game Talk: Oilers 1 Flames 0

DaGap

Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
This was a classic tight checking game after the 1st. Outside of the PP, I fail to see where the Oilers sucked outside of some shifts when they got hemmed in.
Koskinen played a very good game but it's not like the Flames had a bushel of high danger chances.
It was frustrating that Klefbom couldn't clear the zone in the final minute, that can't continue to happen.

Tight Checking? lol the oilers handled the puck like a grenade. Made horrible choice in the defensive zone. Pathetic entry attempts.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
People are slowly figuring it out but for all the playmaking talent he has he does a lot wrong too. He gets locked into a pass and then won't let it go, forces it no matter how things develop. Just plain lazy about defense. He needs good coaching to round his game out so that McDavid is playing less defense.

3 things that worry me about him:
1. He's sposed to be a NHL "big guy" that can protect the puck, yet he gets knocked off the puck frequently.
2. He's sposed to be an elite level passer, yet he gives up the puck a lot always trying to force plays that aren't there.
3. He tries to play like he has eyes on the back of his head... but his back eyes seem to need some thick glasses.

Reactions: Messrules11

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
I found that every exciting for a 1-0 game.

The execution on the defensive side of the puck was the best I’ve seen us play in a while.
When you're stressed, happy one second, screaming the next and praising your bottom 6 players with no hint of sarcasm and come out with a win?

That sir, is a great f***ing time and great hockey game.

Duke74

Jan 13, 2018
Is it me or is the puck on Drai’s stick way too much and not enough on McDavid’s. Also, might be an unpopular opinion but Drai killing way too many plays.

Ahhhhhh. Oilers won but we've got that Drai-bashing urge. Just can't help ourselves.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
Those who believe they were bad in Periods 2 and 3... get used to watching the Oilers win games while that happens. This is the Hitchcock that pissed us all off 15-20 years ago.

Usually the McDavid line will breakthrough and make better passes than they did tonight while it's happening, but they're going to put teams in a sleeper hold a lot.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
Gotta love that the plug they called up to counter our big guys ends up looking like a wimp in his fight, AND ends up costing them a potential goal. Although, he did stop Koskinen from being able to move to his left at all, blocking his foot. Wonder if it would have been a goal anyways if he was able to move over.
They scratched Czarnik and sent Dube down so Peluso could play 2:28. lawl

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
They were doing this for one game, and McDavid finally had 1 timer options to pass to. Don't know why we reverted back to the Tmac style setup.
They tried it at times too with McLellan also.

Maybe McDavid isn't comfortable on the other side? I donno. It doesn't make much sense. Either way, if McDavid/the coaching staff are going to keep him on the off wing they need to replace RNH and Klefbom with right hand shots who can one-time the puck.

There was a couple times Nuge got the puck on the cross ice pass where if he was a right shot he'd have been able to one-time it and put it to the back of the net but he needed to stop it and the Flames goalie got set both times.

No need to have all three of McDavid/Drai/RNH on the top unit. Let one of them QB the 2nd unit. Might help the 2nd unit be more effective and should hopefully give some different angles for shots.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
But seriously, what deal does Tkachuk have with the refs in this league?

He has carte blanche to do whatever he wants out there, and if he's touched it's an immediate call against.
He seems to have a knack for doing some dirt and then hiding behind the nearest official to escape reprisal, it's the NHL equivalent of the annoying little brother who does something wrong and then hides behind momma's skirt playing innocent and if you try getting him back you're the one who gets in trouble.

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB
The mighty Flames stoned on their run.
Great Keith must be so mad...

Uge.gif

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
I'm not as scared with a lead anymore because the team doesn't sit back.
I dont miss Todd one bit.

Hitch was obviously demanding more on the PP, and the team did respond which was great to see.

But, the aggression without the puck, and support around the net, that was on point right to the end. Love it. Many years of watching this team in full panic mode with a lead late and you just hope the goalie can do enough backflips to save the day (which Talbot did do for us one year all year). I really do not miss that.

stratedge

My relationship with the Oilers is abusive.
Jul 25, 2007
Calgary, AB
That wasn't an attempted clear it was an attempted relay pass to Pulju hoping for him to either take the puck or smack it out, Pulju didn't pick up the pass coming to him till late and it just looked like a bad clear attempt cause the play wasn't executed properly
Except there was no reason to pass, he had full control.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad