Post-Game Talk: Oilers 1 Flames 0

RegDunlop

Nov 5, 2016
Edmonton
In Edmonton , hockey is a religion. People live and breathe it.

I agree

My point is nobody forced him to come here, put the C on his chest, and collect a salary unavailable elsewhere.
Then to complain about things that he was a part of being directly responsible of, and failing miserably at, is just absurd to me.

Reactions: BoldNewLettuce

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
Their forum looks like its still from the "decade of technological darkness".

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
I agree

My point is nobody forced him to come here, put the C on his chest, and collect a salary unavailable elsewhere.
Then to complain about things that he was a part of being directly responsible of, and failing miserably at, is just absurd to me.

yup. if he was vocal about it at all at the time.....but i recall maybe one thinly veiled comment.......

happy to collect the paycheck.

Reactions: RegDunlop

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
I agree

Hope springs eternal, until it doesnt. Thats when the bitterness starts to seep out.

Reactions: RegDunlop

alanschu

Aug 12, 2005
Edmonton, Alberta
If professional hockey players can't handle the crap that comes thier way, along with the praise, then they can f**k off.
When people go too far, then it is understandable that the players complain about it.

But seriously,? If you are playing hockey in a Canadian city, expect the same fish bowl life as a footballer in Europe.

Fans dont drive players away. They are the reason they are paid as well as they are, and why theyre held in such high regard.

God I'm sick of this rhetoric.
No one told them to become hockey players. If they can't take it - I dont want them anyway.

Thing about this is it just summarily assumes that human beings aren't human and that psychology doesn't apply to them.

The reality is fans are invested and want their pound of flesh because it is personally cathartic. And I contend that fans would do this even if it was clear cut that it was a negative for the team because humans are often irrational and sports tribalism in particular is a hell of a thing.

(I'd also argue we shouldn't idolize/worship them either because that's pretty bizarre too if you step back and take a look at it)

Reactions: Jimmi McJenkins

RegDunlop

Nov 5, 2016
Edmonton
Thing about this is it just summarily assumes that human beings aren't human and that psychology doesn't apply to them.

The reality is fans are invested and want their pound of flesh because it is personally cathartic. And I contend that fans would do this even if it was clear cut that it was a negative for the team because humans are often irrational and sports tribalism in particular is a hell of a thing.

(I'd also argue we shouldn't idolize/worship them either because that's pretty bizarre too if you step back and take a look at it)

I do realize you are correct. They are humans and are subject to the same emotional ups and downs of anyone else.
And as a fan I usually acknowledge this but for some reason this topic sets me off.

Thanks for your post.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad