OHL Playoffs - McJesus vs Nurse Part III

Quinteoilers

Jan 7, 2012
Nurse to me looks like a Rob Blake-Adam Foote hybrid. Skill and smooth skating like Blake, but tough and mean like Foote. I'm glad he's an Oiler!

krazy kanuck

Dec 24, 2008
Alberta
The Oilers didn't rush Nurse. That is a good thing. Him playing 2 years down there after his draft should be great for his development. Petrangelo did. Weber did. Hamonic did. Worked out well for them.

I think the Oilers did absolutely the right thing with Nurse and agree that it was a good approach. In my opinion, it's what should be done with every defenceman not named Ekblad. On the other hand, and I'm not sure you're saying this, but I would point out I don't think Nurse is on par with Pietrangelo. I don't think that they're even in the same conversation.

krazy kanuck

Dec 24, 2008
Alberta
It doesn't mean he's a worse prospect than Risto or Zadorov. I would not be surprised that when his career's over, he'll be the best dman of that draft.

When it's all over, I would not be surprised if that will be Chris Bigras. I suspect that not many of the folks here now will be here then to confirm one way or the other.

Regardless, I am an Oilers fan and I'm pleased that Nurse is making the progress he's making. I would still put him in the AHL for six months because there were some missed reads and some ill advised rushes that he couldn't recover from that you would prefer not to see from a 20-year-old in the OHL. Used to see that a lot more a few years ago, so the progress is definitely very promising. Should be a solid 2-3 in the NHL. Maybe the Oilers can trade package including one of the other young forwards for a number 1.

PerformanceMcOil

Aug 2, 2005
Mc David couldn't had destroyed them if Nurse would had played "fantastic".
Not all Nurse faults but he made mistakes too and was a main part of the Greyhounds Defense.

In the head-to-head match up of Nurse vs McDavid, Nurse was +2. He did play fantastic against McDavid. If you want to criticize Nurse, it should be for his play against the rest of the Erie's (where he was -2 at EV).

He also only took two penalties the whole series.

It's a team game, but Nurse did his job.

KlimasLoveChild

Feb 25, 2012
When it's all over, I would not be surprised if that will be Chris Bigras. I suspect that not many of the folks here now will be here then to confirm one way or the other.

Regardless, I am an Oilers fan and I'm pleased that Nurse is making the progress he's making. I would still put him in the AHL for six months because there were some missed reads and some ill advised rushes that he couldn't recover from that you would prefer not to see from a 20-year-old in the OHL. Used to see that a lot more a few years ago, so the progress is definitely very promising. Should be a solid 2-3 in the NHL. Maybe the Oilers can trade package including one of the other young forwards for a number 1.

:skeptic:.....

krazy kanuck

Dec 24, 2008
Alberta

Sigh. I think I was the only person in the Oilers section of these boards who gave the Otters a shot and people thought I was nuts for saying they'd win; a prediction based on having watched many of these players play live many times since they were in minor midget.

I'd love to hear about your experience watching them play live (or even on TV) to see what sort of opinion I'm dealing with. If it amounts to watching Chris play a few minutes in 4 games on TV at the WJC a couple years back, well...

Vagabond

Dec 24, 2004
Edmonton
Love how Nurse played in that series! I must say tho, McDavid was a complete wizard! That 3 on 1 setup was gold! That was a thing of beauty. His goal where he went around the back of the net and roofed it from such an obscure angle was impressive as well.

I'm getting Goosebumps for next season and the last time that happened was the 06 season!

KlimasLoveChild

Feb 25, 2012
Sigh. I think I was the only person in the Oilers section of these boards who gave the Otters a shot and people thought I was nuts for saying they'd win; a prediction based on having watched many of these players play live many times since they were in minor midget.

I'd love to hear about your experience watching them play live (or even on TV) to see what sort of opinion I'm dealing with. If it amounts to watching Chris play a few minutes in 4 games on TV at the WJC a couple years back, well...

:huh:...Sorry to burst your bubble. As far as I can tell several of the defenseman taken before CB in that draft don't play in the Ohl. Of coarse you could be some kind of free lance scout that travels the world to report on HF Oil.:amazed:

From the sounds of things you saw Bigras play once and turned into a first degree nut hugger. Your experience from my view leads to an extremely biased opinion.

I think I'll go with what I've seen of the players involved on TV along with the professional scouting and rankings over your opinion :laugh:..Thanks anyways.

luongo321

Apr 12, 2011
I laughed pretty hard when I saw Nurse crying. I know, I'm terrible. Connor McDynasty is just too good.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Also, time to pump my guy RJ Broadhead's tires again.

Could be the next big Canadian PBP guy if Sportsnet calls him up to the NHL.

Has a bit of Bob Cole to his calls, but still has his own style which is clear yet exciting.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Mcdavid moves on to the finals where he hopefully puts up 3 ppg, then mem cup. Not sure if the comp only gets easier for him

Nurse to okc to hopefully play in 2 playoff rounds (10 or so games)

kurtcobang

Feb 18, 2007
Ok, than it was fantastic by Nurse to allow McDavid 19 points in 6 games and getting crushed by Erie.

You sir are just trying to stir the pot. We get it, you dont like Nurse and we should have taken the Russians or any other inferior prospect. I guess having the best junior D prospect in the world sucks for us: handclap: Your opinion is garbage... but I guess you are entitled to it. You are the first person ive blocked since ive been on here but I am assuming you will just continue being a clown with one of you other accounts. You would fit in perfectly on the main boards :shakehead

OilerOlli*

You sir are just trying to stir the pot. We get it, you dont like Nurse and we should have taken the Russians or any other inferior prospect. I guess having the best junior D prospect in the world sucks for us: handclap: Your opinion is garbage... but I guess you are entitled to it. You are the first person ive blocked since ive been on here but I am assuming you will just continue being a clown with one of you other accounts. You would fit in perfectly on the main boards :shakehead

Realistic opinions aren't for everybody.
Ok, I can live with it, no problem.

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
You new posters sure are having fun, aren't ya?

Anyways, blaming Nurse for the loss in asinine. Without Nurse on the ice and stopping the attempts of McDavid on several attempts, this series would have been over in 4 games.

Hey, Soles. Nurse allowed McDavid to score 19 points in 6 games all by himself? How many points did McDavid score while Nurse was on the ice? How many points were on the PP?

Do a little research, bud.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC

Nothing realistic about your opinion. You have decided that Nurse wasn't very good based on a stat sheet when in reality, he was one of the best players in the series.
McDavid didn't even do much even strength, a lot of his points came on the PP.

It's almost impossible for Nurse to stop McDavid by himself shorthanded. It's a team game you know.
Wasn't Nurse a + in the series? A series in which his team got outscored pretty substantially? Think about that for a minute if you want to judge by stats.
Don't get me wrong, he wasn't flawless but he did just about as much as he could considering the circumstances.

Last edited:

Jmask83

Oct 3, 2009
Even if Nurse did get destroyed by McDavid, he will never have to face him again. Also 99% of the players in the NHL are worse then McDavid.

OilerOlli*

I said that by myself that he wasn't it alone and that I didn' see all games.
Not fair to take one sentence out of the context.
What you guys don't realize, that +/- doesn't count for pp/pk doesn't mean that you can't make mistakes at the pk. And I saw a few from Nurse, that noone mentioned.
Perhaps it was coincidence that I saw a clip of 2 pp goals by Mac David, where both had Nurse a big part of it.
But that noone who saw the game mentioned those mistakes the chances are pretty high that he is seen too positive here, imo.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Most NHL defensemen couldn't have shut down McDavid, you know who else struggled against a generational talent in juniors? Shea Weber. I remember watching the Memorial Cup that season and like Nurse I thought (wow this Weber guy is going to be good but he can't handle Crosby). Not comparing Weber to Nurse obviously but they were 2 drafts apart with the generational player being the younger of the two. Nurse did as well as could be expected. I don't know how many times Nurse was able to shut McDavid down one on one but it was very impressive. Was he perfect? No. Is anyone? No. Did he cost his team the series or did he give his team a chance to win? I saw it as the latter. You can point your finger at Nurse but where were the likes of Deangelo and Ritchie? Was their goaltending solid? Nurse did his part, even the best players cannot overcome an underperforming team and that was what SSM was in this series. Meanwhile McDavid turned his game up a notch or two and was nothing short of elite.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I didn' see all games.

Enough said right there.

The problem is that you're looking at a stat sheet to make a determination of Nurse's play and choosing particular clips to base your opinion on.

I don't think anybody is saying that he was flawless. It just seems that you're focusing on the few mistakes he made and ignoring all the great plays he made.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton

I agree with you here. Hate such showboating too.
And also wanted to tak Nichushkin or Ristolainen with that pick OR trade it down, because there were like 10 Players with similar value.
Could had traded down 5-10 spots and take Zadorov or Lazar for example.
McDavid crashed the Greyhounds in this series. Everybody who says it has absolutely nothing to do with Nurse, although he played a lot of minutes has a questionable opinion imo.

Sure, Mc David isn't easy to stop and I agree that you can have had a good game as a Defender even if you were on ice for a few goals against.
I just have a problem to cal Nurse showings in those series fantastic when McDavid scored 19 pts in 6 games and Nurse had the order to shut him down.
And I saw goals from McDavid where Nurse just made mistakes.
To shut him completely down is pretty impossible, but the truth is that other teams did a lot better than ssm.
And don't say it was because of his weak teammates. ssm is the best team in the ohl, they crashed other teams 7-0 even when Nurse was injured.

His progress the last 2 years was pretty marginal if you compare him to other D's taking after him in his draft year, like Zadorov and Ristolainen who are doing pretty good in the NHL right now.
Most of the D's taken so early aren't playing in the Junior at that age anymore.
Nurse had to, because his progress wasn't that good as everybody was hoping for.
If he could develope into a strong NHL D is still to be seen.

No, only parts of it. All in all they got a lot of goals against. And PP's can also be killed. I saw some bad mistakes from Nurse.
Doesn't mean that he hed good parts too.
He has to dominate with that age and draft position in a junior League, tho.

Where I am emotionally biased here? Not at all.
So all physical D's should wait until they are 23-27 to play in the NHL. Don't agree but accept your opinion.

I'm just trying to piece the bolded statements out here, I'm confused. You're talking "realistic opinions" while saying Nurse had the order to shut down McDavid, and while other's pointed out that Nurse was on the ice for 6 of Connor's 19 pts, you admit that you have only watched parts of the series involved here. You question whether you are "emotionally biased" to another poster, all the while bring up Nickushkin and Raistelainen and saying you wanted to drop down a few for Nurse. Then you question his progress and compare him to 2 players playing in the NHL who are "doing pretty good"? Then you jump to the fact that you think it was a good choice to send Nurse down to the OHL for development soon after comparing him to 2 pretty good NHL D in the same draft class.

So you have realistic opinions after not really watching Nurse in this series (and unlikely in the regular season as well), and you are not emotionally biased with your view of this player?

Please clarify your actual position. My guess is that you just do not like Nurse. That's fine...not everyone has to like the same players. All you have to do is admit instead of running around in a weird circle like a chicken with your head cut off.

1262652767687-_5503_funny_chicken_on_a_chopping_block.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad