OHL Playoffs - McJesus vs Nurse Part III

OilerOlli*

Nurse played fantastically. His team let him down big time.

Can he join the OKC Barons now?

Mc David couldn't had destroyed them if Nurse would had played "fantastic".
Not all Nurse faults but he made mistakes too and was a main part of the Greyhounds Defense.

Floyd McJiveson

Nov 27, 2013
Wish Sportsnet would run a replay of the game like TSN does with the Worlds. What a treat to watch the series. Excited to watch more!!

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
I think the only chance Nurse has at starting the year in the NHL next season (I'm kind of against it at this point) is if he plays in the Calder Cup playoffs and flat out dominates with the ice time given to him.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Mc David couldn't had destroyed them if Nurse would had played "fantastic".
Not all Nurse faults but he made mistakes too and was a main part of the Greyhounds Defense.

There is no defenseman in history that could have played that much against a player of McDavid's relative skill set and not made mistakes. I honestly do not know how anyone could have watched this series and not come away thinking Nurse was fantastic.

Prior to this series SSM gave up 18 goals in the playoffs with 6ES goals. Half of those were late in blowouts. Robby Fabbri had 0 points in 4 games and Tyler Bertuzzi, another guy who Nurse battled had 3 points for a solid Guelph team. McDavid had 19 points against SSM. This was perhaps the best single performance I have ever watched in juniors. As well as Nurse played, no one was going to stop him.

seabass11

Dec 12, 2010
I'm a Soo guy and have been saying this from the moment you drafted Nurse, you will love the pick and never regret it.

Last edited by a moderator:

OilerOlli*

There is no defenseman in history that could have played that much against a player of McDavid's relative skill set and not made mistakes. I honestly do not know how anyone could have watched this series and not come away thinking Nurse was fantastic.

Prior to this series SSM gave up 18 goals in the playoffs with 6ES goals. Half of those were late in blowouts. Robby Fabbri had 0 points in 4 games and Tyler Bertuzzi, another guy who Nurse battled had 3 points for a solid Guelph team. McDavid had 19 points against SSM. This was perhaps the best single performance I have ever watched in juniors. As well as Nurse played, no one was going to stop him.

Sure, Mc David isn't easy to stop and I agree that you can have had a good game as a Defender even if you were on ice for a few goals against.
I just have a problem to cal Nurse showings in those series fantastic when McDavid scored 19 pts in 6 games and Nurse had the order to shut him down.
And I saw goals from McDavid where Nurse just made mistakes.
To shut him completely down is pretty impossible, but the truth is that other teams did a lot better than ssm.
And don't say it was because of his weak teammates. ssm is the best team in the ohl, they crashed other teams 7-0 even when Nurse was injured.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Sure, Mc David isn't easy to stop and I agree that you can have had a good game as a Defender even if you were on ice for a few goals against.
I just have a problem to cal Nurse showings in those series fantastic when McDavid scored 19 pts in 6 games and Nurse had the order to shut him down.
To shut him completely down is pretty impossible, but the truth is that other teams did a lot better than ssm.
And don't say it was because of his weak teammates. ssm is the best team in the ohl, they crashed other teams 7-0 even when Nurse was injured.

I've watched every game Erie has played in this year's playoffs outside of the first game in this series. Nurse played McDavid as well as anyone. McDavid had to elevate his game against SSM or this would have been over in 4. McDavid played far better than he did in the first two series. He was just driven. The whole Erie team looked like it was sleep walking through much of the Sarnia series. I don't honestly know how anyone could say that London did a better job on McDavid. I just don't buy what you are saying.

IAGTTAYM

Dec 15, 2006
Nurse did well throughout the series. Playing the minutes that he did is not easy, especially when you are up against a player like McDavid.

Nurse skating and competitiveness is impressive, but as any other 20-year old d-man he has things that he needs to work on. But it's hard not to be ridiculously excited by his potential and the progress that he's made in the last two years. He is going to be a cornerstone on the blueline for years to come.

OilerOlli*

I've watched every game Erie has played in this year's playoffs outside of the first game in this series. Nurse played McDavid as well as anyone. McDavid had to elevate his game against SSM or this would have been over in 4. McDavid played far better than he did in the first two series. He was just driven. The whole Erie team looked like it was sleep walking through much of the Sarnia series. I don't honestly know how anyone could say that London did a better job on McDavid. I just don't buy what you are saying.

Ok, than it was fantastic by Nurse to allow McDavid 19 points in 6 games and getting crushed by Erie.

OilerOlli*

Nurse did well throughout the series. Playing the minutes that he did is not easy, especially when you are up against a player like McDavid.

Nurse skating and competitiveness is impressive, but as any other 20-year old d-man he has things that he needs to work on. But it's hard not to be ridiculously excited by his potential and the progress that he's made in the last two years. He is going to be a cornerstone on the blueline for years to come.

His progress the last 2 years was pretty marginal if you compare him to other D's taking after him in his draft year, like Zadorov and Ristolainen who are doing pretty good in the NHL right now.
Most of the D's taken so early aren't playing in the Junior at that age anymore.
Nurse had to, because his progress wasn't that good as everybody was hoping for.
If he could develope into a strong NHL D is still to be seen.

oilphan

Nov 21, 2005
His progress the last 2 years was pretty marginal if you compare him to other D's taking after him in his draft year, like Zadorov and Ristolainen who are doing pretty good in the NHL right now.
Most of the D's taken so early aren't playing in the Junior at that age anymore.
Nurse had to, because his progress wasn't that good as everybody was hoping for.

No win for management. Everyone throws the org under the bus for rushing our kids. We finally don't rush one and people are critical that they are not developing. First, he was ineligible to play pro if not in the NHL. Second, at least management saw that the team was a disaster early, and sent him down so as not to be exposed.

Thank goodness he spent little time around Eakins. He got a great experience playing in the WJ's. Zadorov and Risolainen were put in so they could tank for McDavid. So you can't compare the situations.

OilerOlli*

No win for management. Everyone throws the org under the bus for rushing our kids. We finally don't rush one and people are critical that they are not developing. First, he was ineligible to play pro if not in the NHL. Second, at least management saw that the team was a disaster early, and sent him down so as not to be exposed.

Thank goodness he spent little time around Eakins. He got a great experience playing in the WJ's. Zadorov and Risolainen were put in so they could tank for McDavid. So you can't compare the situations.

I have to be aware a bit not to mix up things.
I think it was the right decision from the Oilers too send him back to the junios last year. Most guys that last year Nurse will be playing for the Oilers this season for sure, but I was pretty sure that he would stay in juniors.
Simply because he isn't ready for the NHL.

Rushing prospects mean to bring them into the NHL when they aren't ready. Ristolainen and Zadorov were ready. And they played pretty good on an incredible weak Sabres team.

seabass11

Dec 12, 2010

Did you watch all of the series? 13 of McD's 19 points were on PP, SH or EN goals.

When Nurse was on with McD and even strength, McD hardly got a sniff. That was only 6 even strength points and I guarantee at least 2 or 3 Nurse wasn't on the ice. Nurse was brilliant, as was McDavid obviously.

doubledown99

May 21, 2009

The Oilers didn't rush Nurse. That is a good thing. Him playing 2 years down there after his draft should be great for his development. Petrangelo did. Weber did. Hamonic did. Worked out well for them. Should for Nurse (and G. Reinhart) also.

OilerOlli*

The Oilers didn't rush Nurse. That is a good thing. Him playing 2 years down there after his draft should be great for his development. Petrangelo did. Weber did. Hamonic did. Worked out well for them. Should for Nurse (and G. Reinhart) also. You trying to infer this as a negative against Nurse makes you come across as a fool

Now it's the opposite when you try to be realistic and don't let you lead by your emotions.
It's not better when a prospect isn't ready with 18 or 19 to play in the NHL than being ready in that age.

OilerOlli*

Did you watch all of the series? 13 of McD's 19 points were on PP, SH or EN goals.

When Nurse was on with McD and even strength, McD hardly got a sniff. That was only 6 even strength points and I guarantee at least 2 or 3 Nurse wasn't on the ice. Nurse was brilliant, as was McDavid obviously.

No, only parts of it. All in all they got a lot of goals against. And PP's can also be killed. I saw some bad mistakes from Nurse.
Doesn't mean that he hed good parts too.
He has to dominate with that age and draft position in a junior League, tho.

seabass11

Dec 12, 2010
Nurse could have played in the NHL this year, and done ok. Why rush him, though?
He could play in the NHL next year and do ok, too. But if it's best for him to play a year in the AHL for his development (with his frame, he can still add probably another 15 pounds), why not? It doesn't mean he's a worse prospect than Risto or Zadorov. I would not be surprised that when his career's over, he'll be the best dman of that draft.

doubledown99

May 21, 2009
Now it's the opposite when you try to be realistic and don't let you lead by your emotions.
It's not better when a prospect isn't ready with 18 or 19 to play in the NHL than being ready in that age.

He's not going to reach his physical maturity till 23-27. Rushing him to the NHL and asking him to battle men when he's still physically developing is idiotic. Especially when that is a huge component of his game. You would be potentially damaging his confidence which could affect his development. That isn't my emotion that is logic. You are the one that is emotionally biased

OilerOlli*

He's not going to reach his physical maturity till 23-27. Rushing him to the NHL and asking him to battle men when he's still physically developing is idiotic. Especially when that is a huge component of his game. You would be potentially damaging his confidence which could affect his development. That isn't my emotion that is logic. You are the one that is emotionally biased

Where I am emotionally biased here? Not at all.
So all physical D's should wait until they are 23-27 to play in the NHL. Don't agree but accept your opinion.

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
Nurse will be NHL ready at camp in September. Hell he pretty much was last September despite struggling in the 2 games he was given.

I also don't know how fair it is to judge him on his weight before the summer. Could be completely different come camp.

Keeping him in the AHL until he is 23 sounds like a brilliant way to destroy his confidence to me.

He will earn the opportunity in camp next year(again) and this time we will be out of reasons not to give it to him.

czar99

Nov 19, 2008
Shultz'z Place
The Oilers didn't rush Nurse. That is a good thing. Him playing 2 years down there after his draft should be great for his development. Petrangelo did. Weber did. Hamonic did. Worked out well for them. Should for Nurse (and G. Reinhart) also.

Doubly noted!

Nurse is going to be a beast and hes the first player in a long time that is being developed properly. Those who say he wasn't that great because the points that McD put up....what would he have done if Nurse had not been there.

Absolutely pumped to have both players!:yo:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad