OHL Playoffs - McJesus vs Nurse Part III

McDeathbyCheerios*

I think one of Hall, McDavid and Nurse will he our captain in the future and the other 2 the as

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007
Taking the series as a whole, I think Nurse was good - not great. The minutes that he logged were kind of incredible but I don't think he'll be hitting 35 minutes a night in the pros any time soon.

He still struggles with a lot of things - maybe I am being overly critical of glaringly weaker elements of his game because other areas of his game are so advanced. He looks like a pro hockey player, so I judge him like one. He has things to work on in the summer.

I thought he looked better offensively in the WJCs for sure, I'm not sure why his shot was so underutilized/soft when he did use it.

I hope he continues to develop - and I hope he has strong guidance on how to develop the rough edges of his game.

Do we have somebody taking care of that?

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
It's Shea Weber vs Crosby. Who do you pick as a Captain?

(Disclaimer: I'm not making a comparison based on skill. Just similar personality types coming onto our team.)

DearOldUncleTony

Mar 21, 2014
Watching this North Bay - Oshawa game, I can't see Erie losing to Oshawa. They have been trying to hold onto the lead for the entire 3rd. If they try that with McDavid, they'll get burned pretty bad.

Psychoil

Mar 10, 2011
why didn't anyone mention nurse was crying after the series? Poor kid, tough way to lose for the greyhounds. I hope nurse and mcdavid get a chance to cry tears of happiness when they make the playoffs....or better yet play meaningful hockey past june!

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
He still struggles with a lot of things - maybe I am being overly critical of glaringly weaker elements of his game because other areas of his game are so advanced. He looks like a pro hockey player, so I judge him like one. He has things to work on in the summer.

a lot of things?

that's pretty ambiguous.. could you define some of them maybe.
I'd expect a healthy list of weaknesses.

I'm not the worlds biggest Nurse fan as I'm cautious about any d man Edmonton picks just from our track record.

I did watch every game this series and I was quite impressed with him. He had an extremely heavy burden placed on him and I think he responded well. He's demonstrated to me in this series and the WJC that he can adapt his game and excel under pressure.

It's something that makes Nurse kind of a wild card. He's able to change his game to focus. But it does come with a price. His defensive focus keeps his point generation down. If he learns to create offense without having to play a higher risk game then the sky is the limit. That's what separates a good d-man from a great one.

It's the one reason I wouldn't mind him in the AHL next year. Learning how to combine his offensive and defensive game. I don't want him in the NHL if he's purely focusing on his defensive game. It's something I will be watching intently for in the pre-season.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
I'm thinking that one perceived weakness of Nurse in this series was his tendency to pinch in so much and just skate end to end with the puck. A trait that wouldn't be allowed to be used against most NHL teams.

But I said perceived weakness. I haven't watched Nurse till this series, but if he was doing this most of the year and into the playoffs, I was thinking that it could be set up that way by the coach. SSM had some pretty mature wingers taking up the slack that Nurse left behind.

Was it by design or is it a weakness of Nurse?

I'm assuming it's the former. (as well as a bit of the latter if that IS a weakness and the Greyhounds wanted to exploit the weakness in the best way possible.)

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I'm thinking that one perceived weakness of Nurse in this series was his tendency to pinch in so much and just skate end to end with the puck. A trait that wouldn't be allowed to be used against most NHL teams.

But I said perceived weakness. I haven't watched Nurse till this series, but if he was doing this most of the year and into the playoffs, I was thinking that it could be set up that way by the coach. SSM had some pretty mature wingers taking up the slack that Nurse left behind.

Was it by design or is it a weakness of Nurse?

I'm assuming it's the former. (as well as a bit of the latter if that IS a weakness and the Greyhounds wanted to exploit the weakness in the best way possible.)

I've seen him do it previously but there was no sign of it in the World Juniors. That whole team came apart in that series though, so I wouldn't hold it against Nurse trying to 'do it all'.

That kind of play reminds me of how Joni Pitkanen used to rush the puck in his time here. The coach hated it because it was so unorthodox but he rarely got burned due to being such an effortless skater.

nally

When you have something to say, silence is a lie
Sponsor
Nov 8, 2004
London, Ontario
www.Directdial.com
Taking the series as a whole, I think Nurse was good - not great. The minutes that he logged were kind of incredible but I don't think he'll be hitting 35 minutes a night in the pros any time soon.

I thought he looked better offensively in the WJCs for sure, I'm not sure why his shot was so underutilized/soft when he did use it.

I hope he continues to develop - and I hope he has strong guidance on how to develop the rough edges of his game.

Do we have somebody taking care of that?

Couldn't agree more. There was a lot to not like about Nurse in that series too. In my limited viewings there were a bunch of passes to an open wing where there was no one...essentially giving up possession. The goal he scored was a knuckler from the point with traffic. Probably wouldn't have gone in if not, but it would still be nice to see him look a bit more comfortable out there on the offensive side of the puck.

Anyway, I'm not sold on Nurse being anything more than an Elite #4 with limited offense and a mean streak. I'm thinking Hal Gill with wheels and nastier. Hope I'm wrong...really really hope I'm wrong, but my viewings of him have left much to be desired.

He is NOT ready for the NHL next year. Not by a long shot. He will be treading water at best. Frankly, I would like him to gain confidence at the minor pro level so that he has confidence when he gets called up to play in the NHL. I'm thinking at least a year, perhaps a year and a half in the A before he's ready for full time NHL duty. Maybe even longer.

Just my thoughts

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Couldn't agree more. There was a lot to not like about Nurse in that series too. In my limited viewings there were a bunch of passes to an open wing where there was no one...essentially giving up possession. The goal he scored was a knuckler from the point with traffic. Probably wouldn't have gone in if not, but it would still be nice to see him look a bit more comfortable out there on the offensive side of the puck.

Anyway, I'm not sold on Nurse being anything more than an Elite #4 with limited offense and a mean streak. I'm thinking Hal Gill with wheels and nastier. Hope I'm wrong...really really hope I'm wrong, but my viewings of him have left much to be desired.

He is NOT ready for the NHL next year. Not by a long shot. He will be treading water at best. Frankly, I would like him to gain confidence at the minor pro level so that he has confidence when he gets called up to play in the NHL. I'm thinking at least a year, perhaps a year and a half in the A before he's ready for full time NHL duty. Maybe even longer.

Just my thoughts

Hal gill was great #3 at his peak, so that puts nurse as a top pairing D. Nurses chl stats also dwarves (I mean completly destroyed) gills

nally

When you have something to say, silence is a lie
Sponsor
Nov 8, 2004
London, Ontario
www.Directdial.com
Hal gill was great #3 at his peak, so that puts nurse as a top pairing D. Nurses chl stats also dwarves (I mean completly destroyed) gills

Yes, I liked Hall Gill when he played a certain role. He was fantastic at it.

Glad Nurse does have some offensive numbers in the CHL. Wouldn't have been picked as high I would think. Hope he can have it translate to the pro game.

For me it was his decision making that was really lacking.

He's supremely athletic, big and mean...and can skate like the wind. That pretty much makes him an automatic sure-fire NHLer...but in a limited capacity. He needs to make better decisions before I'm ready to anoint him any kind of savior on the blueline.

without a big improvement on his decision making, he is not a top paring (potentially obviously) d-man in my book.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad