OHL in trouble

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
Oh... sorry... I knew Niagara was behind the times... just didn't think you were that far back.... article is dated January 2017... here in the future that's more than 2 years ago.
That is actually the funniest post in the thread if you exclude the grammatical genocide.

Reactions: Torgo

barclayplager

Feb 9, 2014
You don’t this leauge in trouble
fans do not want to pay 21$ for shinny..non contact hockey....and a feeling that teams are mismatched.because of cheating or players/agents picking attractive teams...read GTA/S Ont area...large market ...it is like two tiers...

Knights2729

Oct 24, 2016
London
fans do not want to pay 21$ for shinny..non contact hockey....and a feeling that teams are mismatched.because of cheating or players/agents picking attractive teams...read GTA/S Ont area...large market ...it is like two tiers...

Thats funny because 9036 a game do in London which is 5 times more then some teams do so maybe some teams management could do better at running their teams!!!

Reactions: sbpointer

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I will take a break and sort of come to 3DN defense here.

The league may not be in trouble but there are troubles in Junior hockey and the CHL specifically.

There is an emerging issue with respect to competitiveness and recruiting. IT isn’t balanced and anyone that says it is is just plain wrong. PErsonally, I have zero issues with unbalanced recruiting. Don’t get bitter, get better! But, the reality is it creates a competitive imbalance. There are only so many brilliant hockey minds available to help small markets or undesirable markets become as highly competitive as the larger more attractive markets. Saying, “Do better” isn’t realistic. I don’t believe their is enough management and coaching talent available for every undesirable market to simply do better. And, if they do get it, the OHL is a developmental league so brilliant minds will advance to the next professional level.

The costs associated to Major Junior hockey are excellerating faster than ticket revenue increases. The league needs to do a much better job leveraging their star players and bring in more lucrative TV and marketing revenue. As it stands now, not enough is being done at that level.

NCAA hockey is continuing to grow and that option is still a hinderance on recruiting.

We don’t have enough locations to satisfy 20 teams. We don’t have enough talent to satisfy 20 teams. The league, for its overall betterment should consider contracting by at least two teams to help create a much more stable base from which to strengthen.

This all does not translate into a league in trouble but it does present a situation where resources are spent keeping balls in the air as opposed to doing meaningful work at improving the league as a whole.

So, 3DN isn’t far off, albeit maybe a tad dramatic.

Otto

Lynch Syndrome. Know your families cancer history
Then why is Sudbury showing an increase in attendance this season?

Otto

Before 2017 three tea,s moved Brampton Plymouth and Belleville still question about Flint Hamilton Missy.
But you originally posted an article from 2017 and cited because of that article that the league is in trouble. Now you are saying they have been in trouble for what 5 years? And still... no teams have folded..

Otto

I will take a break and sort of come to 3DN defense here.

The league may not be in trouble but there are troubles in Junior hockey and the CHL specifically.

There is an emerging issue with respect to competitiveness and recruiting. IT isn’t balanced and anyone that says it is is just plain wrong. PErsonally, I have zero issues with unbalanced recruiting. Don’t get bitter, get better! But, the reality is it creates a competitive imbalance. There are only so many brilliant hockey minds available to help small markets or undesirable markets become as highly competitive as the larger more attractive markets. Saying, “Do better” isn’t realistic. I don’t believe their is enough management and coaching talent available for every undesirable market to simply do better. And, if they do get it, the OHL is a developmental league so brilliant minds will advance to the next professional level.

The costs associated to Major Junior hockey are excellerating faster than ticket revenue increases. The league needs to do a much better job leveraging their star players and bring in more lucrative TV and marketing revenue. As it stands now, not enough is being done at that level.

NCAA hockey is continuing to grow and that option is still a hinderance on recruiting.

We don’t have enough locations to satisfy 20 teams. We don’t have enough talent to satisfy 20 teams. The league, for its overall betterment should consider contracting by at least two teams to help create a much more stable base from which to strengthen.

This all does not translate into a league in trouble but it does present a situation where resources are spent keeping balls in the air as opposed to doing meaningful work at improving the league as a whole.

So, 3DN isn’t far off, albeit maybe a tad dramatic.
9 different finalists in the last 5 years.. doesn't appear to be any competitive imbalance

Reactions: aresknights

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
this thread seriously needs to be shut down. three dog night i'm sorry but this is just such an embarrassment watching you claim that the OHL is a massive tire fire and isn't going to last any longer because your team caught cheating which is clearly why this was posted and don't even try to tell me anything else.

the article about teams losing money is over 2 years old to start. the leagues fine. if teams want to complain about empty seats and an imbalance, focus on restructuring from within, don't try to have other teams come down to your level so it's more fair. the Hunter's came into London on a team with nearly nothing. They did everything they needed to do to put themselves in a position where they can throw some money in under the table and get guys to come, just like Niagara can clearly. look at Sudbury. a few years ago they couldn't pick Gabe Vilardi, Ryan McLeod or Owen Tippett because they wouldn't report. Do you think if they were 16 now and had the opportunity to go play with Quinton Byfield and UPL that they would say no? no way. and people are recognizing that and are starting to go out to games.

this isn't a league issue. these are individual team issues. get a grip. don't be upset because your team got caught cheating.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
9 different finalists in the last 5 years.. doesn't appear to be any competitive imbalance

I’m too lazy to do the work but if you want to try to use a more beneficial statistic, it would probably be better to do a wider ranging variation of average yearly points over the last ten years.

If the league were competitive, you could throw out the top 2 and bottom 2 of the range and the middle 16 teams would be relatively equal, say within about 4 points, or in a range of .490 and .510.

If there are a significant number of teams outside that range, it would show there is a competing imbalance.

Then, do the previous 10 years and compare the results. Are there teams consistently above the average and others below the average?

Otto

I’m too lazy to do the work but if you want to try to use a more beneficial statistic, it would probably be better to do a wider ranging variation of average yearly points over the last ten years.

If the league were competitive, you could throw out the top 2 and bottom 2 of the range and the middle 16 teams would be relatively equal, say within about 4 points, or in a range of .490 and .510.

If there are a significant number of teams outside that range, it would show there is a competing imbalance.

Then, do the previous 10 years and compare the results. Are there teams consistently above the average and others below the average?

It's a cyclical league though.. and points are regular season.. playoffs are what counts

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
It's a cyclical league though.. and points are regular season.. playoffs are what counts

Points, over time, are the one statistic that tell whether a team is competing to average or isn’t.

Playoffs are a bit of a crap shoot. Even great teams lose int he playoffs because of factors beyond their control (injuries or an opposing hot goalie).

The true test of competitiveness is a full season worth of points accumulation. We play a relatively balanced schedule with some minor variation within our division. So, maybe the numbers need to be compared in a divisional format to take away some of the other variants but that would be a truer test than playoff results.

Besides, the overall point to the conversation was to suggest the league may not be “in trouble” but the league has “troubles.” Those troubles keep it from advancing to where it needs or should be. Competitive imbalance as a result of variations in recruiting ability is one reason for the league troubles but not the only reason.

three dog night

May 3, 2014
Teams losing money two years ago are still probably losing money will not be surprised to see a reduction of teams.

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Teams losing money two years ago are still probably losing money will not be surprised to see a reduction of teams.

Unless owners throw the keys on the table so to speak, the league would have to buy out franchises from the owners to fold them. This isn't going to happen, and there won't be any contraction whether we all agree it would make for a better league or not.

Reactions: three dog night

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018

don't you think they will sell the team to someone else rather than reduce the amount of teams? i just don't see how the league is shrinking and not growing. there's already a surplus of good enough players. most guys placed on waivers find a home in the QMJHL. eliminate 2 teams (roughly 45-50 roster spots), the league would almost be unfair when in the Memorial Cup, now that is an imbalance that would draw some attention. the OHL is already the superior league in the tournament, winning 5 of the last 10, occupying 9 of the last 20 teams in the finals in that span.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Repetitive, non acknowledged, how many times the poster gotta say it....... post of the year

Some one (non Knights fan), somewhere, someday may even acknowledge this..

Show me 18 different Semi-Finalists in the last 5 years and I would be much more inclined to agree.

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
Show me 18 different Semi-Finalists in the last 5 years and I would be much more inclined to agree.

Ok. So you think 90% of the league should finish top 4 over a 5 year period? Wow. That is just unrealistic.

No idea here, nor do I care to look it up, but I doubt that happens in any league.

Cmon.

So if Ottawa makes top 4 this year, the OHL should put rules in place to prevent them from taking a run next year so we can "help"accomdate your 18 different teams in semis over 5 years lol.

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
Ok. So you think 90% of the league should finish top 4 over a 5 year period? Wow. That is just unrealistic.

No idea here, nor do I care to look it up, but I doubt that happens in any league.

Cmon.

So if Ottawa makes top 4 this year, the OHL should put rules in place to prevent them from taking a run next year so we can "help"accomdate your 18 different teams in semis over 5 years lol.

“only 2 teams are allowed to make it out of the 2nd round twice in five year periods and i want them BOTH to be niagara” whined the ice dog fans after losing 2 first round picks

Reactions: Otto

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad