OHL in trouble

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
As usual u make some good points.

Re Dellandrea. Im not sure Flint wanted to move Dellandrea. I have no proof but heard they thought it better for the club moving forward and fan base that he stayed as the face of the current org.
Again maybe true, maybe not, but I heard it at least 2 weeks prior to deadline at least. And it really makes alot of sense esp since there is a good shot he returns to lead a young group with potential next year. They need positives and he gives more value playing there than what he would have returned. JMO based on Flints needs.
Morgan waived a NTC to go there, Rowe Id guess had one as well. Others will follow suit if the problems they created they last few years dont re appear.

Some fans ( not directing this at you ) think every big name on every non contender should get moved every year. Its tough for teams to do that.

I'm not sure Dellandrea wanted out or not. That was the one factor we don't know therefore we cannot say what Flint's motives really were. My understanding was they were fielding offers and would have bitten at the right one but it needed to include a 2018 or 2017 1st rounder and no one of value they would have accepted would waive to go there. We'll see what happens. Personally, I think it could be a great market. Love the branding/uniforms. Fan base could be solid too with a lot of hockey tradition there. Just need to get rid of the negatives and get the league out from running the team. They need a dedicated ownership like Owen Sound. Good solid professionals that allow their management group to do what they need to do and work within a framework of a small market and really make the team a part of the internal fabric of the community.

It seems to me most of the teams in a poor situation are only small moves away from being in a good situation. Missy seems like the only bad situation with not much support and not many prospects of getting support. Sudbury and Hamilton need a rink. Kingston is doing better as is Peterborough. Sarnia just keeps plugging away.

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
I'm not sure Dellandrea wanted out or not. That was the one factor we don't know therefore we cannot say what Flint's motives really were. My understanding was they were fielding offers and would have bitten at the right one but it needed to include a 2018 or 2017 1st rounder and no one of value they would have accepted would waive to go there. We'll see what happens. Personally, I think it could be a great market. Love the branding/uniforms. Fan base could be solid too with a lot of hockey tradition there. Just need to get rid of the negatives and get the league out from running the team. They need a dedicated ownership like Owen Sound. Good solid professionals that allow their management group to do what they need to do and work within a framework of a small market and really make the team a part of the internal fabric of the community.

It seems to me most of the teams in a poor situation are only small moves away from being in a good situation. Missy seems like the only bad situation with not much support and not many prospects of getting support. Sudbury and Hamilton need a rink. Kingston is doing better as is Peterborough. Sarnia just keeps plugging away.

I never said Dellandrea wanted out.
Im saying I heard Flint didnt wanna move him.
(But of course anynteam will listen to offers)
Many teams let top end players move this year without a top flight ALister in return. (DiPi?)
I think Flint wanted to keep him and did.
You heard different orcread different, thats cool. Who knows.
But I do believe he held more value to the Flint franchise than a fair value deal in this years market.

He means alot to that franchise. Its a show of stability. A top end vet to mentor their strong young core. And hopefully help them win and move forward.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
Yeah, I think as an 18yo he offers more value to the team and franchise. If he were a 19yo, I'd say they made a mistake not moving him. Just trying to recall off the top of my head, what high end 16 or 17yo's were moved this year outside of Lleyton Moore?

fishfan51

Sep 7, 2008
Niagara Falls
Yeah, I think as an 18yo he offers more value to the team and franchise. If he were a 19yo, I'd say they made a mistake not moving him. Just trying to recall off the top of my head, what high end 16 or 17yo's were moved this year outside of Lleyton Moore?
Billy Constainou

Otto

Lynch Syndrome. Know your families cancer history
On the schedule part is there a more of a movement reducing three in three games.

So you want to have a more balanced schedule... AND reduce the 3 in 3s?

Great... now you've just increased your travel budget from what you had done previously... congrats... you just made this a 5 team league

three dog night

May 3, 2014
So you want to have a more balanced schedule... AND reduce the 3 in 3s?

Great... now you've just increased your travel budget from what you had done previously... congrats... you just made this a 5 team league
I don’t think so

Otto

I don’t think so

Wait.... so your initial post you say the OHL is in trouble... you cite an article from two years ago that states a large number of teams are in financial trouble... and then you want to increase the travel for those teams by creating a balanced schedule.... and THEN you want to increase the amount of travel even more by reducing the 3 in 3s ….. And you say it WOULDN'T be devastating to the league?

I'd like to see your costed plan on that Mr. Ford.

three dog night

May 3, 2014
Suggestions to make the Leauge better does not reduced teams it up to the Leauge to look at all parts to make the Leauge better.

Last edited:

Otto

Suggestions to make the Leauge better dies not reduced teams it up to the Leauge to look at all parts to make the Leauge better.

You make no sense...you made two suggestions to supposedly make the league better... in both scenarios it would lead to a large increase in expenses, that would no doubt lead to team folding... if you say otherwise then tell me how you would keep those teams already losing money afloat when you are drastically increasing their expenses.

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
Here an article about two years ago that suggested some changes 10 ways to improve the OHL
I thought he makes some good points actually but that aside, this article unfortunately doesn’t help you argue your point since he’s not making suggestions that are especially aimed at improving the financial viability of each franchise, but rather to improve both the league and fan experience as a whole, which I believe is the crux of your point when you say the league is in “trouble”.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I will weigh in on this portion of the discussion.

The league Needs 3 in 3's to survive:
1> It helps generate games on weekends to allow kids to stay in school as much as possible
2> It creates less travel. Brian Kilrea always used to say he didn't care about being in Ottawa for travel because they would huke to the first destination (say Windsor) but fromt here the travel for the reaminder of the games was light. They used to do a 4 in 4 (Thu - Windsor, Fri- Plymouth, Sat - Sarnia, Sun - London). The travel between the cities was low so it was great. The 7 hours to Windsor sucked and the 6 hours from London home sucked but in between was a breeze. Flip side that to a 2 game trip. That means two trips to Michigan from Ottawa instead of one!

Balanced Schedule:
1> A Balanced schedule will never happen. It would eliminate rivalries of teams that reside close in opposite conferences. Imagine Barrie and Owen Sound playing each other twice or SSM and Sudbury playing twice? Before the morons and their realignments pipe in, just remember there is no perfect scenario that works. I think all the threads on the subject have proven that.
2> It would increase travel and costs. Instead of Barrie going to Owen Sound 3 times and vice versa, they would increase Conference play to another team like Kingston. Kingston gets the extra home and home with Ottawa because Ottawa plays one less game against Sudbury and Barrie plays one less game against Kingston....I think.

The reality is the league is just about set up right to reduce travel, allow the most time for kids to be in school and reduce costs. Games are primarily on the weekend to facilitate the schooling and attendance is higher as well.

Changes to make the league better are just a figment of the imagination of fans with too much time on their hands.

Reactions: WaW and Tarantula

Otto

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad