Speculation: Oh Radulov, Where Art Thou...GH?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ArWKo

Jul 2, 2009
CO
I don't understand the argument that Radukov should be signed already because his "free agency" started so much sooner. It's not like the league calendar revolves around when HE became available - despite the bigger window HE had, every team in the league is still working on the same one with FA on July 1 and undoubtedly wanting to do their due diligence on everyone else before making final plans, so certainly a team could have taken advantage and signed him early but it's arguably equally risky to have done that versus waiting for free agency to stay and seeing how everything else pans out.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
The whole threat to sign back with the KHL sounds like a gambit by his agent to see if an NHL team will get desperate and up their offer. But with the crop of free agent forwards this year I think he picked a poor year to come over and make big bucks, long or short term. Too bad, I really did want him, but it looks like the dream is over.

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012
Radulov will sign if and when he's ready. His agent previously said we'd hear after July 1st.

I don't attribute the disdain by certain posters for Radulov to xenophobia but to a visceral dislike for him as though they feel they are being jerked around and it all ties into his past history and they know better than those of us that want the Avs to sign him. And that disdain is definitely outsized given his reputation.

I'll be happy if the Avs sign Radulov and he becomes Duchene and Grigorenko's linemate. If Radulov joins the Avs, he'll always have his detractors including among our fanbase and even if he's better than Kane. It just comes with the territory. Shrug it off.

MacKinnon

Nov 27, 2015
I think he shocked many teams with his asking price, and that is why he has got many offers from KHL. I thought Avs was loading up money on Radulov, as we already moved Holden and Berra. No need to doubt his skills though, wasn't he still top-3 on points/min since the day he came back to NHL second time?

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
I'm running out of reasons why Radulov is waiting.

I really don't understand what that wait is about. I don't think it's money, so why is he waiting til July 1st?

It's money obviously. People on here just like to exaggerate. Radulov was an elite player in the KHL, people automatically assume he's an elite player in the NHL as well when the most he scored in the NHL was 58 points in 81gp, those are not elite NHL numbers and he's asking for 7.5 mill and the teams don't want to pay that simple as that.

Just because he put up PPG or little over PPG in the KHL doesn't mean he can do that in the NHL and there were 4 or 5 other guys who put up PPG in the KHL, doesn't mean they all would be elite players in the NHL.

Avs didn't pay two players Stastny and ROR who were capable of putting up 50, 60 points per season like Radulov and they didn't pay them 7 and 7.5 mill, why would they pay Radulov? and i'm sure that's exactly why no one has signed Radulov yet, they don't go by his KHL numbers and he's not worth 7.5 mill in the NHL simple as that.

Unless Radulov comes down from his 7.5 demand or some desperate team willing to take the risk and sign him for 7.5 mill at the last second, he'll probably go back to the KHL.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
We might have cleared 3M with trading Berra and Holden but that still doesn't give us a lot to play with. People must remember that most of Berra's money will go to Picks and some if not all of Holden's money will go to his replacement. That makes maybe only 1M available in other places in the roster.

MacKinnon

Nov 27, 2015
We might have cleared 3M with trading Berra and Holden but that still doesn't give us a lot to play with. People must remember that most of Berra's money will go to Picks and some if not all of Holden's money will go to his replacement. That makes maybe only 1M available in other places in the roster.

True, but as Sakic already sacrificed them, I can see Sakic making more cap space if they really are going on this Radulov-game.

NOTENOUGHJTCGOALS

Feb 28, 2006
Still think Radulov ends up in the NHL but the chance of it being Avs are almost zero.

At best Radulov is feigning interest in the Avs to try to drive up the price for the team he really wants to go to.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Elite NHL players (forwards) make 8 to 10 mill a year, i'll say this again and leave it at that. If Radulov was such an elite NHL player like some of you here claim he is, he'd be snatched by now for the 7.5 he's asking. You guys make it sound like Radulov is the best player in the NHL by some of the comments i read.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
I think he shocked many teams with his asking price, and that is why he has got many offers from KHL. I thought Avs was loading up money on Radulov, as we already moved Holden and Berra. No need to doubt his skills though, wasn't he still top-3 on points/min since the day he came back to NHL second time?

he was still abv. average 1st line forward in points/min but not top 3. that's for 2012 only. scoring has gone down since.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
If would be pleasantly surprised if there wasn't one GM that got desperate and overpaid for him or at least if they did, it was a one year contract so there would be no expansion draft consequences.

That would be a sign of this league finally learning how to act in a world with a salary cap.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
At this point he's just gonna end up retiring because no one can afford him.

How did this go from not being about money, to only being about money?

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Money is always a bigger factor then people like to lead on. Rads will probably have to sign a lower cost than he wants to.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Money is always a bigger factor then people like to lead on. Rads will probably have to sign a lower cost than he wants to.

For sure. The ego might take a hit this year but that's likely what has to happen if he wants to play in the NHL. It might be inaccurate and unfair but the perception of him isn't a good one and he has been gone forever. He's one of the most talented players in the world so I can see why he doesn't see it this way but I think he may need to prove himself for a year before he can get that contract he's looking for. I don't know what's actually going on so this might be wrong but it doesn't seem like teams are lining up for him.

I don't think this is because he's Russian either, it's because he's Radulov. He's an enigma.

Revo

Jun 29, 2011
Quebec City
From an outside-ish perspective, I consider that the chances for Radulov to sign with the Avs have gone up. Sakic makes that comment the other day, then some KHL rumor comes out soon after? Sounds like a negociating game.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
From an outside-ish perspective, I consider that the chances for Radulov to sign with the Avs have gone up. Sakic makes that comment the other day, then some KHL rumor comes out soon after? Sounds like a negociating game.

It's always seemed like a negotiating game with Rads and the Avs to me, but at this point you have to wonder if the game of chicken has gone too far.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
How did this go from not being about money, to only being about money?

Because it never was "not being about money".

When discussing contracts, it's always about money. I wonder when we'll ever learn. ;)

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
For sure. The ego might take a hit this year but that's likely what has to happen if he wants to play in the NHL. It might be inaccurate and unfair but the perception of him isn't a good one and he has been gone forever. He's one of the most talented players in the world so I can see why he doesn't see it this way but I think he may need to prove himself for a year before he can get that contract he's looking for. I don't know what's actually going on so this might be wrong but it doesn't seem like teams are lining up for him.

I don't think this is because he's Russian either, it's because he's Radulov. He's an enigma.

I'll agree with this...I'm a fan of his but he brings upon himself too.

MacKinnon

Nov 27, 2015
If I'd be Sakic I'd try to get Radulov locked up with 1-year $5m with option that if he can make 60+ points or 25+ goals he would get his money the year after when being re-signed. I don't know if that's legal or not but sure his Russian mafia can keep a little secret :sarcasm:

Hennessy

Ye Jacobites, by name
Dec 20, 2006
On my keister
That thread on the Trade boards is making me angry. Been up for hours and no one's changed the title to reflect the correct info. Amateur hour.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad