Post-Game Talk: Oh, Leafs. Oh, Oh, Leafs: Arizona 3, Leafs 1.

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
Yep Leafs would have had to score above the league average to win tonight's game due to shoddy goaltending. I think I said this. Tells you something huh?

Think we all agreed that Bernier had a bad night. At this rate though you're asking Bernier to steal games and shutout the opponent since the team only scored 1 goal.
That also tells you something.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
And every now and again it would be nice to see them bail out the goaltender for a change. If they can't score more than two goals against the Coyotes and allow 45 shots, they could have Price, Lundqvist, Quick, Rinne in net and they aren't winning tonight.

Bail out a goaltender, the truth is slowly coming out on how Bernier played. I'm glad we both got to the same place of agreement in this discussion.

Leafs would have had to score 4 goals to get Bernier off the hook for his weak soft goals he gave up to begin the 3rd period. Now we are talking truth here.

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Yep Leafs would have had to score above the league average to win tonight's game due to shoddy goaltending. I think I said this. Tells you something huh?

The Leafs have been held under 2 goals 9 times out of the last 12 games. The games where they've scored more have been a 6-2 loss, 5-2 win and 4-3 loss.

tp71

Enjoy every sandwich
Feb 10, 2009
London
Bail out a goaltender, the truth is slowly coming out on how Bernier played.

Again, Leafs would have had to score 4 goals to get Bernier off the hook for his weak soft goals he gave up to begin the 3rd period. Now we are talking truth.

You're wrong. That's all that needs to be said here on out. I said it's a team loss tonight. Bernier is included in that. You deduced somehow that it doesn't. You somehow blamed the 3rd goal on him that deflected three times and called it soft. I think we are seeing the truth here too. It's not about Bernier or the Leafs. *hint hint

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009

:laugh:

teams (good/bad/inbetween) all need to know how to win 1-0 games.

Montreal/NYR had a 1-0 game.
the game winning goal was a beaut, of what i call a "you can't even be angry."

Leafs score 1 goal, and were playing well (i was surprised that we were outshot by thatmuch because it didn't feel like it). 2 fluke goals. and now it's "everyone else should have scored?"

no. you stop those softees. especially when you know your team is having issues scoring. that's what #1 goalies do at crunch time.

not blaming him, not even mad at the game. the first puck totally dipped (you could see Reimer explaining it to Bernier). but the 2nd one was a def. spock eyebrow.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011

Leafs score 1 goal, and were playing well (i was surprised that we were outshot by thatmuch because it didn't feel like it). 2 fluke goals. and now it's "everyone else should have scored?"

no. you stop those softees. especially when you know your team is having issues scoring. that's what #1 goalies do at crunch time.

not blaming him, not even mad at the game. the first puck totally dipped (you could see Reimer explaining it to Bernier). but the 2nd one was a def. spock eyebrow.

I'm not mad at all. I'm a build by the draft guy. When you have to score 4 goals a night to win under Horachek. You cannot allow, a 120 ft shot to go in. And then gift on with a weak short side goal and then let in a 55 ft shot deflected or not. You have to make at least 2 of those saves if you want to be a #1G in the NHL.

Fact is, this team does not have a #1G or a Goalie to take us fwd. Despite the objections. Bernier has not earned a big payday based on his play the past 2 seasons.

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008

There's a difference to winning a 1-0 game and outright standing on your head for a 45 save shutout which is what Bernier would have had to accomplish.

The record for saves in a shutout is 59 and the one previous to that is 54.

Montreal and NYR game was also 26 to 24 shots in favour of Montreal.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
You're wrong. That's all that needs to be said here on out. I said it's a team loss tonight. Bernier is included in that. You deduced somehow that it doesn't. You somehow blamed the 3rd goal on him that deflected three times and called it soft. I think we are seeing the truth here too. It's not about Bernier or the Leafs. *hint hint

You said it. Nice of you to admit Bernier needed bailing out. I wonder why?

Originally Posted by tp71 View Post
And every now and again it would be nice to see them bail out the goaltender for a change.

Larcos_Unal

Excuses are for losers
Jul 6, 2007
Toronto
Everyone saying that a true fan wouldn't support a tank, I'd like to respectfully disagree. I want this team to tank hard and trade everyone for picks/prospects, they will likely be worse next year and the one after that.

You know what, I'm a true fan and I'll keep watching, even if we're dead last I'll keep watching...because that's the way you develop true championship teams, by sucking and drafting elite talent. If you'd rather finish in 9th spot and keep signing guys like Clarkson then you sir, are a dumbass.

tp71

Enjoy every sandwich
Feb 10, 2009
London
You said it. Nice of you to admit Bernier needed bailing out. I wonder why?

I said it multiple times in the thread. You just failed to actually read what I wrote at any point tonight.

At no point have you understood what I've said. All of it sailed on you.

NiL8r87

Jun 30, 2009
I almost feel like we shouldn't trade anybody this year. I mean, why not stick with this group who we know can't win as opposed to risking some hungry Marlies players stealing a few games?

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I said it multiple times in the thread. You just failed to actually read what I wrote at any point tonight.

Because he played badly when it mattered. Yes it would be nice if the Leafs could have scored 3 goals after Bernier made it 1-3. But we didn't. Leafs are not the team to bail out bad goaltending under Horachek's dried up offensive schemes. They are a bubble team, what did you expect?

They are supposed to win 1-0, 2-1 games. Did you not get the memo. Win the right way. Unfortunately Bernier had other ideas.

TML1

Oct 18, 2014
Bernier had one really really bad game. Be thankful how rare this occurs. It's no where near Reimer territory.

tp71

Enjoy every sandwich
Feb 10, 2009
London
Because he played badly when it mattered. Yes it would be nice if the Leafs could have scored 3 goals after Bernier made it 1-3. But we didn't. Leafs are not the team to bail out bad goaltending under Horachek's dried up offensive schemes. They are a bubble team, what did you expect?

I expect them to suck. But I don't blame it entirely on the goaltender. All I said was it was a team loss. The team as a whole sucked. They allowed 45 shots. They scored one goal. Bernier allowed 2 stinkers. It's a team loss.

They are worse than a bubble team at this point.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I expect them to suck. But I don't blame it entirely on the goaltender. All I said was it was a team loss. The team as a whole sucked. They allowed 45 shots. They scored one goal. Bernier allowed 2 stinkers. It's a team loss.

They are worse than a bubble team at this point.

They are supposed to win 1-0, 2-1 games. Did you not get the memo?. Win the right way. Unfortunately Bernier had other ideas.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Oh my jesus. Good night.

Bernier allowed 2 stinkers. It's a team loss.

In today's game, 2 stinkers is a insurmountable hole. This is why you need #1Goaltending if one is serious about being successful in this league.

No team can afford to spot the opposition 2 goals a night and expect to come up with a W. Good nite. Thanks for the chat.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Anyone know what the worst record is for a new coach after a coaching change? This team makes me curious about the damndest things.

Does anyone in Toronto actually believe that Hors was hired to turn this team around? He's a figurehead taking up time and space for the remainder of the season. His job is to provide the Leaf players a chance to prove they can play hockey or give them enough rope to hang themselves from very tall trees. Reilly has chosen the first option and Clarkson has slipped on the noose. You figure out which option the rest have chosen. As they lay down one by one don't expect your goaltending to sparkle. The shot totals are escalating against lesser teams. That's a real bad sign already if you needed any others to add to the list you all are compiling.

Funny how last season Reimer was the anti-Christ leading the Leafs right out of the playoffs."If only Bernier was healthy. He's our future."
Now people are building the fire and have their torches and pitchforks out to drag him to the stake and light him up.

CelticDruid

Oct 23, 2013
Penticton , BC
Leafs on verge of having worst offensive stats in one month. (EVER) Previous record 1.77 per game in a ten block of games. On course for 1.50 or less.

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario

They are supposed to win 1-0, 2-1 games. Did you not get the memo?. Win the right way. Unfortunately Bernier had other ideas.

List of goalies who haven't won a 1-0 game:
Hiller (1st in West)
Bishop (1st in East)
F. Andersen (1st in West)
Elliot (3rd in West)
Howard (4th in East)
Crawford (4th in West)
Niemi (6th in West)
Rask (7th in East)
Miller (7th in West)
Lundqvist (8th in East)
Varlamov (11th in West)
Dubnyk (12th/13th in West)
Bobrovsky (13th in East)
Ward (15th in East)
Khubodin (15th in East)

List of goalies who have won just one 1-0 games:
Rinne (2nd in West)
Price (2nd in East)
Hutchinson (5th in West)
Holtby (6th in East)
Quick (9th in West)
C. Andersen (12th in East)
Schneider (14th in East)

List of goalies who have won more than one 1-0 games:
Halak (2) (3rd in East)
Fleury (2) (5th in East)
Luongo (2) (9th in East)
---

So basically it is by complete fluke if you win 1-0. Regardless of goalie, it doesn't happen much at all. The goalies picked were the top 20 in sv% going into tonight. So really, no, they shouldn't be expected to win 1-0

CabanaBoy5

Feb 17, 2013
Woodbridge
OMG, I was wiling to forgive the two putrid goals that basically sucked the life out of this fragile team, but I just heard him blame the FANS for allowing the 2nd and 3rd goals? Unbelievable. Btw, for those of you talking tank with 32 games to go better ease up, these are the Leafs, they'll find a way to put a meaningless winning streak together that will put us out of the top 10 draft positions. I've seen this act before......Boyd Deveraux anyone?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad