Pre-Game Talk: Oh Great. Another Game | Leafs @ Flyers | Saturday @ 7PM

Status
Not open for further replies.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I believe I recall you posting previously that you expected wins during the Carolina, NJ and Arizona games and the team lost them all.

So are you deploying reverse psychology here in hopes of expecting a loss and hoping it results in a win?

I'm expecting a win as odds are in favour of Leafs not losing 9 straight games.

I'm flattered you remember what I post, I certainly don't.

Anyway,those games have no bearing on what I think will happen in this game.
The way they are playing it's hard to see them winning again, ever.

GordieHoweHatTrick

Sep 20, 2009
Toronto

I'm the well grounded, realistic type fan.
I understand what I'm seeing and don't get too high or low from game to game.

Anyway, you never know with Steve Mason. He will be wearing a different set of gear today and he's already complaining about the colour of his new pads in his peripheral vision. You also never know with Reimer. Certainly not a game I would lay any cash on.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
This has to be the game they get back on track.

It's an expression, means start winning.

I don't see it as a coin toss at all. Leafs have very little chance tonight.

In this thread alone just yesterday you were posting positively about Leafs start winning and today you don't think they will win another game.

What changed overnight to get you to feel this way as there were no Leaf games?

Cheer up man the Leafs will win again. I'm hoping when the playoff push pressure is off we start seeing better performances again, if for no other reason than it will make the games more watchable again. Horachek seems to have coached the life and entertainment value out of this team.

HarrisonFord

President of the Drew Doughty Fan Club
Jul 20, 2011
Toronto
A little worried about Reimer getting the start, he's got a real chance of taking over the game and stealing us a win.

Punch Drunk Loov

Gaaaaary Roberts!
Dec 6, 2011
I feel like watching this one. Its almost peaceful knowing there's nothing to lose. Philly games usually are not boring

LeafsMonster

Marlanderthews
Feb 3, 2012
Toronto
4 straight years of epic collapses...this freakin team. It is literally hopeless.

The players look defeated, management looks defeated, fans are defeated and no one knows what to do.

Gary Batman

Aug 4, 2014
Umm, the guy has stopped 60 of 64 shots in his past two starts. But yeah, he's been worse.

Why just last 2 starts? Because it shows him in good light?

The guy has been given so many chances, and sports a save % of something like 0.897% in this losing streak. As bad as our offense is right now, giving up Toskalasque goals, and sporting Toskalasque save % isn't helping our team.

Point is, Bernier has embraced the tank like no other Leafs player has. :yo:

Paradoc

John Tavares is a Leaf!
Mar 13, 2013
Toronto
Why just last 2 starts? Because it shows him in good light?

The guy has been given so many chances, and sports a save % of something like 0.897% in this losing streak. As bad as our offense is right now, giving up Toskalasque goals, and sporting Toskalasque save % isn't helping our team.

Point is, Bernier has embraced the tank like no other Leafs player has. :yo:

Yeah, because sporting a .915 sv% is totally taskalasque sv% :facepalm:

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
In this thread alone just yesterday you were posting positively about Leafs start winning and today you don't think they will win another game.

What changed overnight to get you to feel this way as there were no Leaf games?

Cheer up man the Leafs will win again. I'm hoping when the playoff push pressure is off we start seeing better performances again, if for no other reason than it will make the games more watchable again. Horachek seems to have coached the life and entertainment value out of this team.

Two different thoughts. They do need to start winning, I don't see it happening.

I don't need cheering up. Life's good, they don't impact me that way.

Last edited:

Blufreezy

May 1, 2013
Sitting on the couch and drinking my way through this one, make it a little less painless.

Gary Batman

Aug 4, 2014
Yeah, because sporting a .915 sv% is totally taskalasque sv% :facepalm:

Guy has barely managed to cross 0.900 save% this losing streak.

I hope that facepalm icon was for your comprehending skills because if you had read my post, you'd have known that I was referring to saves in this losing streak.

Take off those last 2 starts that are you so proud about, and his save % dips to 0.896 in this streak. :laugh:

The Promised Land

Dec 30, 2013
Finally Clarkson on the 4th line; a step in the right direction. I know it's too much to wish that he'd be scratched every night but can he at least be booted off of PP2?

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
I don't think Booth has been good this season... but it looks like he's stepped up his game since the break. I really liked his hustle the last couple of games. He's knocked over a guy in each game who tried to body check him. I don't mind him on the 4th line at the moment. I would rather replace Smith.

I would also like to see Frattin get another chance.

Winnik could play 4th line Center to replace Smith and we can use Booth, Frattin, or Leivo.

Paradoc

John Tavares is a Leaf!
Mar 13, 2013
Toronto
Guy has barely managed to cross 0.900 save% this losing streak.

I hope that facepalm icon was for your comprehending skills because if you had read my post, you'd have known that I was referring to saves in this losing streak.

Take off those last 2 starts that are you so proud about, and his save % dips to 0.896 in this streak. :laugh:

So your saying that goaltenders sv % goes down when team is on a losing streak? No **** :laugh::laugh:

There are many goalies who do bad, when the team does bad. If you follow the goaltender thread, then I have listed many examples of goaltenders having a bad sv% on a bottom ten defensive team, for example this one:

Goaltender's sv% when team is bottom 10 in GAA in past 3 seasons (must played 35-40 + games):

2013-2014:

EDMONTON (3.26 GAA) - Dubnyk (.894 sv%)
FLORIDA (3.20 GAA) - Thomas (.909 sv%)
NYI (3.18 GAA) - Nabakov (.905 sv%)
OTTAWA (3.15 GAA) - Anderson (.911 sv%)
TORONTO (3.07 GAA) - Bernier (.923 sv%)
BUFFALO (2.96 GAA) - Miller (.923 sv %)
CALGARY (2.90 GAA) - Ramo (.911 sv %)
NASHVILLE (2.84 GAA) - Hutton (.910 sv %)
WINNIPEG (2.87 GAA) - Pavelec (.901 sv %)
WASHINGTON (2.79 GAA) - Holtby (.915 sv %)

2011-2012:
TAMPA BAY (3.39 GAA) - Garon (.901 sv%)
TORONTO (3.16 GAA) - Gustavsson (.902 sv%)
COLUMBUS (3.13 GAA) - Mason (.894 sv%)
NYI (3.06 GAA) - Nabakov (.914 sv%)
WINNIPEG (2.95 GAA) - Pavelec (.906 sv%)
CAROLINA (2.89 GAA) - Ward (.915 sv%)
EDMONTON (2.83 GAA) - Dubnyk (.914 sv%)
CHICAGO (2.82 GAA) - Crawford (.903 sv%)
WASHINGTON (2.76 GAA) - Vokoun (.917 sv%)

2010-2011:
COLORADO (3.50 GAA) - Mason (.901 sv%)
ATLANTA (3.20 GAA) - Pavelec (.914 sv%)
EDMONTON (3.17 GAA) - Khabibulin (.890 sv%)
NYI (3.15 GAA) - Too many goalies to judge
COLUMBUS (3.05 GAA) - Budaj (.895 sv%)
TORONTO (2.99 GAA) - Reimer (.921 sv%)
OTTAWA (2.99 GAA) - Elliott (.894 sv%)
DETROIT (2.89 GAA) - Howard (.908 sv%)
TAMPA BAY (2.85 GAA) - Roloson (.912 sv%)
CAROLINA (2.85 GAA) - Ward (.923 sv%)

* I excluded shorten season because it doesn't match up with the fatigue, tougher schedule, and playing against West/East compared to a 82 game season.

Seriously, compare Bernier's .915 sv% to all of the past goalies I have posted above. It boggles my mind that some people want to trade him because he isn't putting up a .920 sv %. In the last three season, his sv % of .923 last year was the HIGHEST AMONG ALL GOALTENDER WITH BOTTOM TEN DEFENSE. His sv % of .915 is ranked SIXTH AMONG ALL GOALTENDERS WITH BOTTOM TEN DEFENSE. I question some people's knowledge about goaltending because either they are greedy of the goaltending we have right now compare to the one in the past or they have really high expectation of Bernier. Probably both. IMO, it would be a huge mistake for the leafs to trade someone who may or may not post a sv % identical to him. It would be horrible asset management. I would say we should try using those assets to get better defenseman instead of getting young goaltender prospect, one of the riskier position to get a stud compared to winger, center and defenseman.

Also, The facepalm was directed more at your post and the extreme hyperbole, but ok.

King Leaf

Jan 2, 2015
Toronto
I hope that facepalm icon was for your comprehending skills

Not usually a grammar/spelling Nazi but this is worthy of a face palm :facepalm: the irony

Anyways, you're right, Bernier has been bad like everyone else. Good for the tank and good for the Leafs contract negotiations with him at the end of the year. 4.5 million for 5 years, I would be ecstatic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad