Speculation: Offseason Thread XVIII - Soon September & a new NYR member?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Let´s get a bit radical and stay with the topic of this thread on this very last day of summer (I see it that way at least - September is explicitly an autumn month in the temperate zone; WC is played, NYR camp starts, prospect tourney in Traverse City, leaves change colors from green to a cavalcade of hues, change of the wardrobe takes place, aurora borealis returns and lights up the heavens, perhaps the first frost, trout & salmon begin to spawn, my glasses contents go from beer to whiskey...).

I can totally see the reasoning behind the trade of Brassard and the wanting of some of the senior, knowledgeable posters on HFNYR to move our leading scorer in Zucc (and Nash too of course, which goes without saying, esp. if the return is amicable) now for younger, cost controlled assets that peak in 3-5 years. If one were to follow this thesis about seriously retooling then what about looking into maybe our biggest prize asset?

Ryan McDonagh.

27 years old as per June 13. Three contract seasons left at very reasonable $4.7 M. Will be due for huge money in 2019 when he is 30 and signs for 7 or 8 years taking him to 37 or 38. That will be a toxic contract - if there ever was one. That decline might be the worst one yet (at least bang for the buck as the contract will likely be over $7M). We have been down this road before as well - and it never turns out the way management intends (talking Redden, the Twins, Boyle...).

Could we benefit from exploring this at least? I seriously do not know. But it is worth discussing IMO. Cashing in on him now could likely bring a MEGA return. I mean really huge. If it does not, then not interested at all. But some win now team might feel desperate enough to really help the NYR org. stockpile assets - for both now and later. Price of high quality D:s in the league are insane right now.

McDs injuries and drop off are also a bit concerning IMO. He does not have a no trade clause (Yes - I know that he is in his prime or at least should be + is team captain). Finding another amicable long-term solution on the left side via UFA/trades/whatever would also be easier than on the right one (too).

"Get younger. Get better."
"Last kick at the can with this group".

Flame away! Or come with some ideas of a realistic return for the "C" - for the sake of discussion - on this last day of summer.
Peace.

Yes, it`s an interesting topic, Ryan Mcdonagh. Personally, I feel it`s too much risk to agree upon a long term contract with him when he is 30.
He is our best defender, but our `core group` of defenders is almost the worst in the NHL league - so it doesn`t explain much in details how good is actually McDs.
And that explain why Hank need to be a god in the net beginning of last season, because I don`t understand Gordon or Glenn Sather why they don`t focus on the defense this summer - I feel they`ve mostly upgraded forwards which doesn`t
streghten our main weakness in this team, and that is defense for sure.

:nod:

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
I mention upgrades, because I feel the Brassard trade is indeed interesting, but was it necessary?
I don`t know.. We get younger though.. However I wish that the NY org. moved Nash for a quality defender at this point. Because Hank need more help in our defense to be successful in NHL for sure. And hope that our youth can step up and take the Nash role in near future.

JanErixon20

Aug 7, 2007
It's concerning to me that this front office thought the team had enough of a chance this past season to not move Yandle at the deadline and then add Staal in a "go for it" move.

I distinctly remember the Rangers playing some of their worst hockey of the year from Feb - Apr, yet it felt to me like the front office just ignored how inconsistent and downright bad at times the team's play was down the stretch.

I'm trying to forget last season but I think at the time of that deal the Rangers were on a "hot" streak, something like 9 out of 12. They basically had two big runs last season that inflated their record. The rest of the year was garbage.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Let´s get a bit radical and stay with the topic of this thread on this very last day of summer (I see it that way at least - September is explicitly an autumn month in the temperate zone; WC is played, NYR camp starts, prospect tourney in Traverse City, leaves change colors from green to a cavalcade of hues, change of the wardrobe takes place, aurora borealis returns and lights up the heavens, perhaps the first frost, trout & salmon begin to spawn, my glasses contents go from beer to whiskey...).

I can totally see the reasoning behind the trade of Brassard and the wanting of some of the senior, knowledgeable posters on HFNYR to move our leading scorer in Zucc (and Nash too of course, which goes without saying, esp. if the return is amicable) now for younger, cost controlled assets that peak in 3-5 years. If one were to follow this thesis about seriously retooling then what about looking into maybe our biggest prize asset?

Ryan McDonagh.

27 years old as per June 13. Three contract seasons left at very reasonable $4.7 M. Will be due for huge money in 2019 when he is 30 and signs for 7 or 8 years taking him to 37 or 38. That will be a toxic contract - if there ever was one. That decline might be the worst one yet (at least bang for the buck as the contract will likely be over $7M). We have been down this road before as well - and it never turns out the way management intends (talking Redden, the Twins, Boyle...).

Could we benefit from exploring this at least? I seriously do not know. But it is worth discussing IMO. Cashing in on him now could likely bring a MEGA return. I mean really huge. If it does not, then not interested at all. But some win now team might feel desperate enough to really help the NYR org. stockpile assets - for both now and later. Price of high quality D:s in the league are insane right now.

McDs injuries and drop off are also a bit concerning IMO. He does not have a no trade clause (Yes - I know that he is in his prime or at least should be + is team captain). Finding another amicable long-term solution on the left side via UFA/trades/whatever would also be easier than on the right one (too).

"Get younger. Get better."
"Last kick at the can with this group".

Flame away! Or come with some ideas of a realistic return for the "C" - for the sake of discussion - on this last day of summer.
Peace.

should deal him while at max value, believe he has NMC pending, also.

my prop deal Makkis ok'd swaps for Trouba, while gaining on 2 yrs flip of 3rd for a 2nd, + a 4th for a 3rd the next year.

Then, do Trouba for Reinhart. Sabes can afford to since they got Eichel, have enough C depth. Trouba supposedly a fan of Eichel, so that is a plus, and if they don't want to keep him and Risto, they flip Risto + for Draisatil+, possibly also Nurse

We get a 1C making a dominant first line Kreider- Reinhart - Zib while retaining C depth.

EXTREMELY IMPORTANT, HE IS AN ELC so is expansion draft exempt.

Now we move Stepan, I see Canes doing Pesce and Murphy and flip of 3 NY 3s for 3 Cane 2s.

So we are thin on LD
skjei
Holden
Graves

with the correct partners, they can handle that, IMO, and even if not, betw, the above and flipping Klein, Lindberg + Fast to EDM for 2018 1st +, IF IF IF IF we are in tight enough straights, we have enough guys we can deal for a stop gap LD

MUST GET YOUNGER
MUST GET CHEAPER
REALLY, REALLY MUST NOT BE STUPID AND HAVE TO GET AHEAD OF THE EXPANSION DRAFT CURVE --- why make deals, then can't protect enough assets at year's end?

Gotta break eggs to make an omelette :D:naughty:

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..

Ryan McDonagh.

Trimmed a bit of your post to save folks from scrolling.

I think Trouba with an add might be the only thing that really interests me. At least from the names that have been floated out there. It's just when you trade a player of McDonagh's caliber, rarely do you ever get full value in return. Even with Trouba you'd have to count on him taking another big leap forward in his development to be on that same tier.

I know when we were talking a full tear-it-down rebuild at the end of the season, some Jets fans were amicable to Trouba, Roslovic and #18 for McDonagh and another smaller piece.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
I don't want to throw away this season. A lot of good things happened already. So McD should be here for the next two years at least to be able to "go for it" both times. Then we will have a better idea of what we actually have in Skjei, Graves and other prospects we just signed, and to know what to do with McD - trade or extend - as his current contract will get closer to the end.

Accordingly, I'm not a fan of trading Zuke either, at least not until the team has a better idea of what they have in Buch and Vesey, until we see that Miller's performance last season wasn't a fluke and (to lesser extend) that Hayes overcame his sophomore slump or regression, whatever you call it.

I think Gorton has to find a way to improve on D by using Klein and depth at forwards. For a team that in it's own right is ready to go for it or needs to manage cap situation in its top-4 D a guy like Klein can be invaluable due to his experience and low cap hit. Depending on situation use a combination of Fast, Lindberg, Tambo or Gropp to entice a trade for a 1st pair player. And if the Rangers obtain such 1st pair RD, then the spot behind will be filled by either a healthy Girardi, Skjei, McI or Holden etc.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
I don't want to throw away this season. A lot of good things happened already. So McD should be here for the next two years at least to be able to "go for it" both times. Then we will have a better idea of what we actually have in Skjei, Graves and other prospects we just signed, and to know what to do with McD - trade or extend - as his current contract will get closer to the end.

Accordingly, I'm not a fan of trading Zuke either, at least not until the team has a better idea of what they have in Buch and Vesey, until we see that Miller's performance last season wasn't a fluke and (to lesser extend) that Hayes overcame his sophomore slump or regression, whatever you call it.

I think Gorton has to find a way to improve on D by using Klein and depth at forwards. For a team that in it's own right is ready to go for it or needs to manage cap situation in its top-4 D a guy like Klein can be invaluable due to his experience and low cap hit. Depending on situation use a combination of Fast, Lindberg, Tambo or Gropp to entice a trade for a 1st pair player. And if the Rangers obtain such 1st pair RD, then the spot behind will be filled by either a healthy Girardi, Skjei, McI or Holden etc.

The Rangers are not getting a first pair D for that package.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
That was the same reaction when trading Brass was suggested......

Mostly because many of us were not confident that we would be happy with the return. I wasn't for trading Brassard for strictly futures. The deal we got though? I make that trade 10 times out of 10. Zibby is somewhat of a known commodity with potential to go even higher. If we can get the same deal trading Nash, Zucc, McDonagh, fine by me.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse

so klein and fast or lindy or one of the unproven prospects for a first pair dman.

uh huh, ok sure..... :laugh:

you gotta give equal value to get same.

see: subban for weber deal

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate

6. Dan Girardi (New York Rangers): After the work general manager Jeff Gorton did to improve the team’s offense this offseason, the Rangers desperately need Girardi to resemble the shutdown defender he was in the past and not continue to struggle.

Not quite certain how Girardi is only 6th on the list, but uh, yeah, pretty much this.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Girardi shouldn't be in the NHL, let alone being given the opportunity to resemble a top pairing shutdown defenseman.

McSauer

Defense Wins Games
Feb 18, 2004
Jersey City, NJ
What are the odds that Girardi is our 7th defenseman, which is where he should be...any coach can see that--except our's probably. Hopefully Gorton can have some influence on this, but we'll see.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
Counting on Girardi to be a factor in Ranger success this upcoming season is fools' gold at best. Injuries are not the reason he' s been on the decline since 2012. Being won't suddenly improve his inability to handle the puck, his inability to quickly move the puck out of the defensive zone, or blindly chip the puck out, resulting in little transition to offense for the forwards. Staal may be able to contribute. I have no hope in Girardi doing the same.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
should deal him while at max value, believe he has NMC pending, also.

my prop deal Makkis ok'd swaps for Trouba, while gaining on 2 yrs flip of 3rd for a 2nd, + a 4th for a 3rd the next year.

Then, do Trouba for Reinhart. Sabes can afford to since they got Eichel, have enough C depth. Trouba supposedly a fan of Eichel, so that is a plus, and if they don't want to keep him and Risto, they flip Risto + for Draisatil+, possibly also Nurse

We get a 1C making a dominant first line Kreider- Reinhart - Zib while retaining C depth.

EXTREMELY IMPORTANT, HE IS AN ELC so is expansion draft exempt.

Now we move Stepan, I see Canes doing Pesce and Murphy and flip of 3 NY 3s for 3 Cane 2s.

So we are thin on LD
skjei
Holden
Graves

with the correct partners, they can handle that, IMO, and even if not, betw, the above and flipping Klein, Lindberg + Fast to EDM for 2018 1st +, IF IF IF IF we are in tight enough straights, we have enough guys we can deal for a stop gap LD

MUST GET YOUNGER
MUST GET CHEAPER
REALLY, REALLY MUST NOT BE STUPID AND HAVE TO GET AHEAD OF THE EXPANSION DRAFT CURVE --- why make deals, then can't protect enough assets at year's end?

Gotta break eggs to make an omelette :D:naughty:

Okay. I think you over complicated things a bit but let's go back to the Winnipeg idea.

Let's say that you can move McDonagh, probably another LHD (unfortunately Graves?) and Zuccarello, (maybe Glass' expiring contract for cap reasons) For Enstrom, Trouba and ? (Maybe get another F back who is difficult to play against/hits people because NYR doesn't have that either.

That at least temporarily covers your bases. Enstrom only has two years left so if he isn't great you can either trade him as an expiring contract or if he is good you can keep him. Trouba is obviously Trouba. I think then it makes sense. No need for the other dominos :)

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
Remember when there were rumors that Chiarelli asked for Callahan and Girardi for Kessel before he dealt him to Toronto? And Sather reportedly turned him down?

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
and lundqvist

trade anyone before they reach 27,you're sure to win a cup that way

Not sure anyone is saying that but there IS a timing to building a roster... To having all the parts contribute at once (no matter their age or cost). Really the only way to win a cup.

Discussing this isn't a crime.

Not sure it's realistic either but we can't talk Stralman every day right?

RIGHT????????? :cry:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad