Offseason Thread Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Newhook finished the season on the 4th line and Sakic has said that he doesn't want to put pressure on the young guys.

Everyone pictures Newhook playing LW next to Kadri but I'd be shocked if he's the Saad replacement. He'll have to earn it.

If no trade or signing just expect JTC to start on the 2nd line. Bednar had him playing 2C in the playoffs, he isn't afraid to put him in the top 6.

Coaches are extremely risk averse in the playoffs.

Hence Newhook sticking on the 4th line and Byram/MacDonald being left in the press box. Imo it ended up biting Bednar in the ass. He relied on vets that he thought were reliable, but they ended up playing terribly.

He’ll give these guys more responsibly in the regular season and give them a chance to learn the system and get ready for the playoffs.

I could see Nichushkin playing with Bura/Kadri on the second line, but I’d be really surprised if Newhook isn’t at least in the top-9.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Saad was basically pacing for 30 goals and 50 points this season. I’d be shocked if Newhook replaces that outright.

All Saad does is quietly score around 25 goals 50 points every year,.

He scored at a 28 goal pace in the regular season and then put up 7 goals in 10 playoff games.

In the last 13 years, only Nate, Mikko, Gabe, Duchene, and Iginla have scored more than 28 goals for the Avs. I'm looking forward to seeing what Newhook has next year, but they're going to miss Saad's reliable secondary scoring for sure.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Ok video game mode for a brief minute here....

Three team trade:

To Calgary:
- Jack Eichel

To Buffalo:
- Alex Newhook
- Drew Helleson
- JT Compher
- COL 2023 1st
- CGY 2022 1st

To Colorado:
- Matthew Tlachuk(35% retention by Buffalo)

Basically boils down to Calgary giving up Tkachuk + 1st for Eichel. Avs give up Newhook + Helleson + 1st + Salary and get Tkachuk. Buffalo gives up Eichel but get back two firsts, an A Tier Prospect, a B tier prospect, and a Warm body for the tank this year.

Would anybody do this from our end? Our forwards afterwards would look like:

Landy - Mack - Mikko
Tkachuk - Kadri - Burakovsky
Nuke - Jost - LOC
Helm - Maltsev - Sikura
Sherwood/Matteau

With about ~2M still left to make a play for someone like Bozak for example to fill out the bottom 6.

From the Avs perspective Tkachuk would be a damn near perfect fit for that 2LW spot IMO. And apparently the Flames and Buffalo are pretty deep into Eichel trade talks but part of the hold up is that Buffalo doesn't want Tkachuk because they know he wouldn't want to sign long term in Buffalo. And the Flames want Tkachuk in the deal because he doesn't want to be in Calgary anymore either. Hence a 3re team potentially entering the picture.

Strictly from the Avs point of view we'd give up Newhook + Helleson + 1st for Tkachuk essentially. Do people think that would be too much or not enough? It would create a concerning hole at the 2C spot beyond this year as well. But the Avs will have a lot of cap space next summer, enough that they could confidently re-sign Kadri if he plays well again, or go after a big fish in free agency. I think Zibanejad is especially heading towards UFA status but so too might Couturier or Hertl.

Anyways highly unlikely to happen and pretty video game mode discussion but a good friend of mine who's a Flames fan said this 3-way scenario with some random team seems like a possibility if the Flames end up getting Tkachuk.

Reactions: Richard88

Tommy Shelby

Feb 26, 2012
Since we don't have enough cap room for a top 6 wing, can we sign Bozak 2M X 1 or something? I'd like to avoid JTC at center if there's an injury.

Sakic may want to keep some cap room for an emergency goalie down the line though, in case Kuemper gets injured and Francouz is no longer NHL caliber.

I'm a bit surprised we haven't already, my guess is that he's waiting to re-sign with the Blues once they get that Tank trade finalized.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta

Three team trade:

To Calgary:
- Jack Eichel

To Buffalo:
- Alex Newhook
- Drew Helleson
- JT Compher
- COL 2023 1st
- CGY 2022 1st

To Colorado:

Basically boils down to Calgary giving up Tkachuk + 1st for Eichel. Avs give up Newhook + Helleson + 1st + Salary and get Tkachuk. Buffalo gives up Eichel but get back two firsts, an A Tier Prospect, a B tier prospect, and a Warm body for the tank this year.

Landy - Mack - Mikko
Nuke - Jost - LOC
Helm - Maltsev - Sikura
Sherwood/Matteau

With about ~2M still left to make a play for someone like Bozak for example to fill out the bottom 6.

From the Avs perspective Tkachuk would be a damn near perfect fit for that 2LW spot IMO. And apparently the Flames and Buffalo are pretty deep into Eichel trade talks but part of the hold up is that Buffalo doesn't want Tkachuk because they know he wouldn't want to sign long term in Buffalo. And the Flames want Tkachuk in the deal because he doesn't want to be in Calgary anymore either. Hence a 3re team potentially entering the picture.

Strictly from the Avs point of view we'd give up Newhook + Helleson + 1st for Tkachuk essentially. Do people think that would be too much or not enough? It would create a concerning hole at the 2C spot beyond this year as well. But the Avs will have a lot of cap space next summer, enough that they could confidently re-sign Kadri if he plays well again, or go after a big fish in free agency. I think Zibanejad is especially heading towards UFA status but so too might Couturier or Hertl.

Anyways highly unlikely to happen and pretty video game mode discussion but a good friend of mine who's a Flames fan said this 3-way scenario with some random team seems like a possibility if the Flames end up getting Tkachuk.
Not a chance in hell I'd touch this deal for the Avs.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
It’s going to be tough to replace Saads production but one thing people need to realize is that Saad himself likely couldn’t replicate that production. He literally doubled his career average shooting percentage this year.

Reactions: Murzu

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002

Three team trade:

To Calgary:
- Jack Eichel

To Buffalo:
- Alex Newhook
- Drew Helleson
- JT Compher
- COL 2023 1st
- CGY 2022 1st

To Colorado:

Landy - Mack - Mikko
Nuke - Jost - LOC
Helm - Maltsev - Sikura
Sherwood/Matteau

I like Tkachuk, but how would the Avs pay him long term? Dude’s going to make $8-9M on his next contract.

And even if the Avs did figure that out, they’d be paying their top 3 wings $26M or something. Not sure that’s a winning plan.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
318D37C9-5BA6-4ECB-80BB-361F55B08D40.png

duckbear

Mar 31, 2016
Hahahaha no he's not. I dont care what these fancy charts say.

He probably is 2.5m underpaid on a per year basis, especially if he:

a) signed a contract for 1 yr
b) signed to the highest bidder

His contract overall isn't an underpay because as he ages he will move more and more up that chart towards overpay territory, but that chart isn't considering the future.

Reactions: The Moops

Shane Diesel

Jun 8, 2021
That's a damn good deal, wow. Maybe a better deal than G??

Also it's great to see @Sea Eagles around again. Love your posts bud.
There is a lot more to playing defense than just racking up points, but Pelech has a career high of 21 points and has a higher cap hit than Girard. Not to mention Girard is younger. How is Pelech's contract better?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad