Offseason Thread Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
That's just how it works for the majority of rebuilding teams - you need those type of players to help actually become a competitive team and build a winning culture. EJ is on an anchor of a contract now, but he was still very important to help maintain a certain level of competitiveness (excluding the 2016-17 season).

Personally I think Chicago jumped the gun on multiple fronts and the Jones signing will end up looking like a mistake. However, I don't think the Hamilton signing will. New Jersey has a lot of young, elite talent, and the team needs to start building a winning mentality for those players to hit their potentials.
It's a double edged sword. You need that veteran presence to take some of the pressure of your young kids, but you can't impair their development by restricting their play time because of said veterans. Having a guy like Panarin absolutely speeded up the Rangers rebuild, but they still needed to get away from Buchnevich because guys like Kakko and Kravtsov need the ice time. And that Kreider contract is an anchor on that team, let alone the Trouba one.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I fail to see how this would happen. All the Rangers have done is replace AHL-level players in the bottom six with legit NHL-level bottom six players. Buchnevich was traded, but that was inevitable anyway, to give Kakko and Kravtsov more ice time (they mostly played in the 3rd and 4th lines).

The Rangers have been #8 in scoring for the last two seasons. Scoring is not a problem for them.

I'm mostly joking, but not entirely. They're a bad defensive team that got rid of their best two-way forward for a ridiculously bad return that included a fringe 4th line grinder who has yet to prove he's a full-time NHLer. I think that was a dumb deal no matter how you slice it. Trade him if you want, but get a better effin' return than THAT.

The biggest change is behind the bench, so we'll see what Gallant can do with this bunch. IMO Quinn was the biggest thing holding them back, but I also don't love what they did this offseason. I don't think it's the disaster some in the analytics community are touting, but they have not done a thing to address their biggest weakness. It wasn't a lack of toughness, it was a lack of depth at center. They have an aging and inconsistent, though talented, scoring line center in Mika Zibanejad. Beyond that they have quite possibly the most vanilla player in the league in Ryan Strome, who's put up insane numbers riding shotgun with Panarin. That's not good enough. If they get Christian Dvorak as the rumors say, that's a huge win.

Lafrieniere is a legit talent so that should be a plus for them, Kakko has proven to be very good defensively, but we have yet to see him light it up at the other end of the ice. We'll see what happens there. Defensively they have a Norris-winning #1, so I think they're fine, and the goaltending should be a tad better than it was.

But while they got tougher, they did not necessarily get better. The only improvement will come from their young core developing.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I'm mostly joking, but not entirely. They're a bad defensive team that got rid of their best two-way forward for a ridiculously bad return that included a fringe 4th line grinder who has yet to prove he's a full-time NHLer. I think that was a dumb deal no matter how you slice it. Trade him if you want, but get a better effin' return than THAT.

The biggest change is behind the bench, so we'll see what Gallant can do with this bunch. IMO Quinn was the biggest thing holding them back, but I also don't love what they did this offseason. I don't think it's the disaster some in the analytics community are touting, but they have not done a thing to address their biggest weakness. It wasn't a lack of toughness, it was a lack of depth at center. They have an aging and inconsistent, though talented, scoring line center in Mika Zibanejad. Beyond that they have quite possibly the most vanilla player in the league in Ryan Strome, who's put up insane numbers riding shotgun with Panarin. That's not good enough. If they get Christian Dvorak as the rumors say, that's a huge win.

Lafrieniere is a legit talent so that should be a plus for them, Kakko has proven to be very good defensively, but we have yet to see him light it up at the other end of the ice. We'll see what happens there. Defensively they have a Norris-winning #1, so I think they're fine, and the goaltending should be a tad better than it was.

But while they got tougher, they did not necessarily get better. The only improvement will come from their young core developing.
I don't know if I'd use the term "aging" for a 28 year old Zibanejad lol usually that term is reserved for the players in their mid-to-late 30's

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
I don't know if I'd use the term "aging" for a 28 year old Zibanejad lol usually that term is reserved for the players in their mid-to-late 30's

Zibby relies heavily on his physical gifts. I can't pretend to watch the Rangers much, but if their fans are hesitant about re-signing a PPG+ center on a team that is absolutely devoid of any center talent, there is usually a good reason behind it.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
If true that he wants 10M (and more than likely 7-8 years) then his contract automatically gets into the Skinner/Karlsson category.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011

The return for Buchnevich was bad in value, absolutely. But that trade was going to happen after Kreider signed and the Rangers got Laf.

The center ice is indeed the biggest question mark. I think Zibanejad is a fine 1st C, if the Rangers can sign him to a good contract. #2 is the bigger issue. Strome does produce with Panarin, but as a center he's not good. And the style of play he has with Panarin basically means that 2nd winger in that line has to be a grinder. I wouldn't be surprised if Goodrow is actually played on that line. Chytil still has the upside of becoming that 2nd line C, but it remains to be seen how he does.

As a guy who is following both the Avs and Rangers, I feel more optimistic for the next season with the Rangers. Not exactly fair, because with the Avs the expectation is to get past the 2nd round and thus whatever happens during the regular season is kind of a wash. But for the Rangers, I'm excited.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta

JFresh is bae

So the Flyers added two pretty bad defensemen in Ristolainen and Yandle, downgraded from Voracek to Atkinson and decided they'd insulate Carter Hart - one of the worst goalies in the league last year - with arguably THE worst goalie in the league in Martin Jones and are projected to win the toughest division in hockey?

Interesting. To say I'm skeptical of this guy's model is an understatement.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
So the Flyers added two pretty bad defensemen in Ristolainen and Yandle, downgraded from Voracek to Atkinson and decided they'd insulate Carter Hart - one of the worst goalies in the league last year - with arguably THE worst goalie in the league in Martin Jones and are projected to win the toughest division in hockey?

That's because everyone agrees that they severely underperformed last year and it was an anomaly.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011

I don't believe they will win that division, but they will make the playoffs. That's a law of nature, every other year they miss, every other year they make it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad