Offseason Thread Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
They weren't even on pace for 121 last year and the team, at least up front is just worse. They'll be good and easily a 100+pt team, but that's just crazy talk to me.

Defense and forward depth is arguably better though.

Defense especially. You replace Graves with Byram, Timmins/Cole with Murray, and add a healthy(The data is assuming anyway) EJ.

That said I agree with you. Not a chance in hell this is a 121 point team. I could see them in the very low 100s but not any higher.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Defense and forward depth is arguably better though.

Defense especially. You replace Graves with Byram, Timmins/Cole with Murray, and add a healthy(The data is assuming anyway) EJ.

That said I agree with you. Not a chance in hell this is a 121 point team. I could see them in the very low 100s but not any higher.
Forward depth is definitely not better. Newhook is a downgrade to Saad and Compher is a downgrade from Dong. Helm is solid but who the heck knows what Maltsev is at this point.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
Forward depth has been damaged. Donskoi and Saad have been replaced by Newhook and Helm

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Forward depth is definitely not better. Newhook is a downgrade to Saad and Compher is a downgrade from Dong. Helm is solid but who the heck knows what Maltsev is at this point.

We don't know that yet.

Saad and his impact is definitely getting overrated on our board at this point. He was good for us and was a goal scoring machine in the playoffs but he also wasn't anything outstanding either.

He barely played to a 0.5 PPG pace in the regular season and while yes he scored 7 goals in 10 games in the playoffs, a couple of them were pretty fluke goals and at least one was an ENG.

Tbh if I were a betting man I actually think Newhook in a Top 6 role and PP ice time, will be as productive as Saad was, maybe even more productive. I think 15-20 Goals and 45-50 points is well within the realm of what he can do.

Compher is a downgrade from Donskoi and Newhook is unknown. But our 4th line is much better then what we had in the playoffs last year and I think our 13th and 14th forwards are also much better then we were rolling with last year.

Especially if Newhook plays up to the task of a Top 6 forward I think our bottom 6 will be better then it was last year.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I'd not bet on Newhook playing in the top 6 for the first half of the season.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
We don't know that yet.

Saad and his impact is definitely getting overrated on our board at this point. He was good for us and was a goal scoring machine in the playoffs but he also wasn't anything outstanding either.

He barely played to a 0.5 PPG pace in the regular season and while yes he scored 7 goals in 10 games in the playoffs, a couple of them were pretty fluke goals and at least one was an ENG.

Tbh if I were a betting man I actually think Newhook in a Top 6 role and PP ice time, will be as productive as Saad was, maybe even more productive. I think 15-20 Goals and 45-50 points is well within the realm of what he can do.

Compher is a downgrade from Donskoi and Newhook is unknown. But our 4th line is much better then what we had in the playoffs last year and I think our 13th and 14th forwards are also much better then we were rolling with last year.

Especially if Newhook plays up to the task of a Top 6 forward I think our bottom 6 will be better then it was last year.
Saad was basically pacing for 30 goals and 50 points this season. I’d be shocked if Newhook replaces that outright.

Reactions: The Moops

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Saad was basically pacing for 30 goals and 50 points this season. I’d be shocked if Newhook replaces that outright.

Not true. He was close to a 30 goal pace yeah(28 to be exact) but he definitely wasn't close to a 50 point pace. He had 24 in 44 games which would be less then 45 points over an 82 game season.

I dont necessarily think Newhook will score 30 in his rookie year by any means. But especially if he starts in the Top 6 and gets PP2 ice time(He could quickly make a living from the same spot as Mackinnon on PP2 the way he was in the AHL)... I dont think it's unreasonable or even loft expectations for him to put up 45 points like Saad was doing. Not the same 30G/15A split Saad was pacing for but something like 20G/25A is very doable I think.

Reactions: Avaholic29

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Newhook finished the season on the 4th line and Sakic has said that he doesn't want to put pressure on the young guys.

Everyone pictures Newhook playing LW next to Kadri but I'd be shocked if he's the Saad replacement. He'll have to earn it.

If no trade or signing just expect JTC to start on the 2nd line. Bednar had him playing 2C in the playoffs, he isn't afraid to put him in the top 6.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019

If Newhook gets a top-6 role he’s going off for 40+ points. Book it.

upload_2021-8-5_21-32-24.gif

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Newhook finished the season on the 4th line and Sakic has said that he doesn't want to put pressure on the young guys.

Everyone pictures Newhook playing LW next to Kadri but I'd be shocked if he's the Saad replacement. He'll have to earn it.

If no trade or signing just expect JTC to start on the 2nd line. Bednar had him playing 2C in the playoffs, he isn't afraid to put him in the top 6.

That might be how it starts but when Newhook has a good start they obviously, obviously aren't going to keep him on the 4th line :laugh:

He is clearly the Top 6 Winger plan. Or at the very least 3rd line wing and either or doesn't make a difference. He is going to be given a good opportunity to produce and will come close to replacing the offense lost by Saad, if not being even more productive.

Reactions: Thepoolmaster

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Since we don't have enough cap room for a top 6 wing, can we sign Bozak 2M X 1 or something? I'd like to avoid JTC at center if there's an injury.

Sakic may want to keep some cap room for an emergency goalie down the line though, in case Kuemper gets injured and Francouz is no longer NHL caliber.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
One positive of Compher is Moser yelling his name after the occasional goal. “Jay. Tee. Coompheer!”

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
There's a lot more positives to Compher as well.

His production when he played on the 3rd line for us in years prior was a lot closer to Donskoi then people think. He was a 4th line guy last year and that partly played a role in the offense diminishing. The Two years prior he was a 35-40 guy from our middle 6.

I would expect those numbers again this year from him. 15 Goals and 20 or so assists if he's on a line with Nuke and Jost most of the year.

Reactions: Northern Avs Fan
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad