Offseason Thread IV: The Long Part of Summer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 13, 2006
Ohio
FWIW, here is a quote from The Athletic:

"The Blue Jackets made some serious noise at the draft, signalling a rebuild is on the way. But, really, the team is about as good as it was beforehand without spending anything extra. Columbus did a lot and the end result is just a different look."

Bottom line in the article is the author Dom Luszczyszyn and his Game Score Value Added model predicting the Jackets improved by, wait for it.... .01 wins! Wowza.

His point was Jackets improved via the Jake/Cam deal and got worse with the Jones/Boqvist trade.
Can't say that I disagree with that assessment.
I agree but they also improved their long term outlook by adding several new and young players in Boqvist and Bean, plus Sillinger as a result of the Jones deal.

It's a move towards a better team in the next few years.

They also have a lot more to do to contend.

ThisIsMyAlibi

Fantilli&Werenski&Gaudreau&Laine&Johnson&Jiricek
Mar 16, 2010
Ohio
FWIW, here is a quote from The Athletic:

"The Blue Jackets made some serious noise at the draft, signalling a rebuild is on the way. But, really, the team is about as good as it was beforehand without spending anything extra. Columbus did a lot and the end result is just a different look."

Bottom line in the article is the author Dom Luszczyszyn and his Game Score Value Added model predicting the Jackets improved by, wait for it.... .01 wins! Wowza.

His point was Jackets improved via the Jake/Cam deal and got worse with the Jones/Boqvist trade.
Can't say that I disagree with that assessment.
No doubt the needle was barely moved in the short term but the long term future is much brighter as a consequence of these moves.

edit: or what Cannoli said.

Reactions: CBJx614

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio

Dude posts this on twitter and he leaves out the 2022 1st round (protected if 2OA or higher). Granted it isn't yet a body - but lets just say the Hawks finish bottom 10 and that pick becomes 3-10. That prospect is going to end up being a pretty frickin good player eh?

And any thought to getting Eichel probably died when we used all our draft picks in this past draft. When healthy Jack Eichel is a monster.. being injured & butt hurt over his relationship with the Sabres probably sets him back a year or more in production. We couldn't pull that deal off anyway.

Last edited:

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
what do you think it would take, a domi package with picks I wish ?

Any current roster players like Domi would be merely throw-ins from the Sabres perspective. They'll want our picks and prospects. You'd have to imagine at least one of Sillinger or Johnson, and possibly multiple 1st rounders or who knows, maybe they want our entire Russian portfolio.

And any thought to getting Eichel probably died when we used all our draft picks in this past draft.

I wouldn't be so sure. The Sabres FO might put more stock in our draft decisions than they do in their own. :laugh:

Jarmo's latest interview has me thinking he's pretty content to rebuild. It was all "the players will make the decisions for us in terms of advancing the timeline". That means we won't be making any big splashes until after the team shows a solid rebound driven by the younger talent.

pled

Sep 7, 2009
Eichel is about to have a pretty serious neck surgery. I’d be staying away given the contract and outgoing assets. Acquiring him gets us a #1 C and the cupboard around him is left empty as a result.

we may have two top 5 picks next draft. God willing, we will.

stay the course.
if one of the 1st is enough to get a broken Eichel, I would do it.

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
Eichel is about to have a pretty serious neck surgery. I’d be staying away given the contract and outgoing assets. Acquiring him gets us a #1 C and the cupboard around him is left empty as a result.

we may have two top 5 picks next draft. God willing, we will.

stay the course.

To me Chicago looks like a pretty good team in the West now (playoffs likely)

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
And does the team really so bad? Werenski isn`t injured anymore, Nyquist will return, Roslovic will be better a center (I mean things wich a center must know) than in the previous season, I`m sure Laine will find his play. Voráček is better than Atkinson. More exactly he fits here more than Cam because his style of play. Yes, we have many young boys (read they don`t have not so many experiences because Werenski, Roslovic, Laine are young too) but where is written that they won`t progress?
Yes, the big problem are centers. But it seems now.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
I don't know how you define a bad team but when it comes to making the playoffs, do you think there are 4 worse teams than us in metropolitan?
You forget our young players can be better, they will get experiences step by step and some "unnamed" :sarcasm: players will impove his play too. Also, where is written that teams in Metropolitan will play as people expect? I`m an optimist. :nod: Or do you think it is better to tanking, be a looser?

Reactions: thebus88

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
You forget our young players can be better, they will get experiences step by step and some "unnamed" :sarcasm: players will impove his play too. Also, where is written that teams in Metropolitan will play as people expect? I`m an optimist. :nod: Or do you think it is better to tanking, be a looser?
I really don't know what people expect and how they will rank teams after this offseason. I was just curious to know where would you draw the line between bad and good teams? Which Metropolitan teams would you categorize as bad and not-so-bad teams? Your concept of a bad team is simply meaningless to me as long as you don't compare Jackets to teams you think are worse or better, in other words give examples.

Personally I'd like to see them win as many games as possible. Even if they win just enough to barely miss post-season and get a mid-round draft pick.

Reactions: thebus88
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad