Offseason Thread IV: The Long Part of Summer

Status
Not open for further replies.

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
@Forepar yes, #2 was about just Texier and Roslovic. I don't expect Sillinger to make the team either. Nor Johnson. Not too excited about Eichel after getting more info about his injury/operation.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
And Sean Kuraly's albatros deal just got more affordable. :sarcasm:

Jarmo in three seasons

upload_2021-8-5_12-54-37.jpeg

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Good cop , bad cop .. all I know is Jd comes back says rebuild not reload .. and Seth, Nick, Savard, Cam, were all moved .

There's not much to support the idea that JD pushed Jarmo into anything. "Reload", the word Jarmo used, seems if anything to avoid the retool vs rebuild distinction. It doesn't clearly mean one or the other. And things have evolved quickly. I suspect Jarmo said "reload" to avoid committing to any one course of action and then within a matter of weeks it becomes clear that there is no choice but to rebuild. JD coming back is more coincidental to that.

Nick and Savvy were traded when JD was a Ranger, by the way.

Nov 13, 2006
Ohio
I also wonder if someone like Voronkov of Marchenko won’t be traded to a contender for a pretty good return. They’ll have a very low cap hit initially. Like we sign Voronkov to a two year contract at the end of KHL season, burning 1 year. So he has a million dollar cap hit. Then we flip home to the best team in the West for a 1st, a good prospect, maybe more. Voronkov would be more than a rental - the good team would still have his rights when the contract expires.
I think your idea makes sense but if all of these prospects pan out the Jackets will have too many forwards. Maybe it should read a forward who has value but is the odd man out at that time without naming names? It could be any of them.

Reactions: EspenK

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
FWIW, here is a quote from The Athletic:

"The Blue Jackets made some serious noise at the draft, signalling a rebuild is on the way. But, really, the team is about as good as it was beforehand without spending anything extra. Columbus did a lot and the end result is just a different look."

Bottom line in the article is the author Dom Luszczyszyn and his Game Score Value Added model predicting the Jackets improved by, wait for it.... .01 wins! Wowza.

His point was Jackets improved via the Jake/Cam deal and got worse with the Jones/Boqvist trade.
Can't say that I disagree with that assessment.

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
There's not much to support the idea that JD pushed Jarmo into anything. "Reload", the word Jarmo used, seems if anything to avoid the retool vs rebuild distinction. It doesn't clearly mean one or the other. And things have evolved quickly. I suspect Jarmo said "reload" to avoid committing to any one course of action and then within a matter of weeks it becomes clear that there is no choice but to rebuild. JD coming back is more coincidental to that.

Nick and Savvy were traded when JD was a Ranger, by the way.

I think a major problem with Jarmo is he was too short erm focused, he was constantly trying to get better for the upcoming season. So I have little doubt (but no proof obvioulsy) that he likely needed pushed to rebuild. He gave severl indications that he was open to trading, taking on salaries to get better before JD came on.

JD (as other guys on the radio have joked) always like break things and have a 2-3 year plan to fix. So I have little doubt (and again no proof) that he saw the writing on the wall that we weren't good enough and needed to rebuild.

I agree the CBJ will have issues calling it a rebuild until later. They still need to sell tickets and it's tough to sell tickets if you publicly say "we're going to suck, but stick with us".

Reactions: tunnelvision

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
FWIW, here is a quote from The Athletic:

"The Blue Jackets made some serious noise at the draft, signalling a rebuild is on the way. But, really, the team is about as good as it was beforehand without spending anything extra. Columbus did a lot and the end result is just a different look."

Bottom line in the article is the author Dom Luszczyszyn and his Game Score Value Added model predicting the Jackets improved by, wait for it.... .01 wins! Wowza.

His point was Jackets improved via the Jake/Cam deal and got worse with the Jones/Boqvist trade.
Can't say that I disagree with that assessment.

I don't really think the goal was improvement this year, though

NotTooWideArena

May 20, 2021

I read that article and found it hard to take seriously any evaluation process that ignores both a complete makeover of the coaching staff and the stylistic change implied by the addition of more mobile d-men. It felt like "oh, look, I can connect dots!" without much actual thought. Just my opinion of his opinion ....

Reactions: Monk and DJA

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I read that article and found it hard to take seriously any evaluation process that ignores both a complete makeover of the coaching staff and the stylistic change implied by the addition of more mobile d-men. It felt like "oh, look, I can connect dots!" without much actual thought. Just my opinion of his opinion ....
To Dom's credit, he usually discusses what the model says and where it might have weaknesses without automatically taking it as gospel - there's generally more to his work than "THE NUMBERS ARE TRUTH". (Which is one of the indicators that he's one of those guys who actually knows this stuff rather than being yet another Analytics Parrot.)

EDIT: Indeed, that article has at the start "There are other variables that will decide how much better or worse a team is next season — team-wide regression, differing usage, breakouts, declines, lineups, rookies, luck, coaching..."

Twain

Jul 1, 2019
I think a major problem with Jarmo is he was too short erm focused, he was constantly trying to get better for the upcoming season. So I have little doubt (but no proof obvioulsy) that he likely needed pushed to rebuild. He gave severl indications that he was open to trading, taking on salaries to get better before JD came on.

The fact that Jarmo got a contract extension might also have something to do with this. When the reload talk happened, he just had two years left and therefore slow rebuild might have been just setting the table for the next GM. It’s kind of tough to earn an extension if the on-ice product sucks no matter how good the long term decisions are. Just ask JD and Gorton. Now that both JD and Jarmo are signed for 4-5 years, there’s no such rush. They can do a a slow rebuild the right way and still have time to reap the benefits. Or maybe I’m just too cynical and this was a non-factor.

Reactions: JacketsDavid
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad