Speculation: Offseason Thread III: ideas, proposals, general roster discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
I don’t see any moves at all. Bemstrom/Texier showed no signs of being top level scorers so I’m not sure why they could just do it this season but Jarmo will put all the scoring on them and a slumping Atkinson and an injury prone Bjorkstrand.

Already in mid-season form. It’s good to know there are things we can rely on.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
I don’t see any moves at all. Bemstrom/Texier showed no signs of being top level scorers so I’m not sure why they could just do it this season but Jarmo will put all the scoring on them and a slumping Atkinson and an injury prone Bjorkstrand.
I hope Santa brings you some sunshine...

Reactions: Byrral

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
Trading Murray and Nutivaara for nothing looks like an even worse decision after the Nyquist news.
Why is that? Were they our answer for Top 6 scoring wingers? The CAP implications haven't changed, nor would the over abundance of D on the CBJ. I'm with you I would love to have gotten more but Nuti wasn't playing and Murray's value wasn't going to be much better given his 50% skating share (great when he plays but that became like finding the Coelacanth).

We lack an elite level player (at forward) but the D is still solid, goaltending appears to be very good and while maybe no studs up front, the depth is quite impressive. It's a team of middle 6 talent up front. That should amount to enough scoring and solid 3 zone play to remain a playoff team. What Jarmo needs to do is get that Panarin replacement as nothing on the horizon for a little bit. The improvement in the Center depth should be noticeable so let's get that stud LW.

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
He will be.

Jarmo is waiting for other teams that are up shit creek to crumble under the pressure of the cap and trade their players.

Maybe a reunion with Marshy (VGK) or we are able to snag Cirelli (TB) or a team like Winnipeg decides they’re open to trading Laine, or Calgary parts with Johnny Hockey.

Patience.

lol, you're preaching patience after no CBJ movement for months now? I think it's time to start asking how we're going to improve the team by 1/13/21.

Reactions: Byrral

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
I guess of you look at the point section of the stat sheet you are technically correct
No. I’m talking value. JVR is a 1LW, Savard is a 4D.

Nashville just got much better, CBJ need to do something to have a chance at the playoffs.

TBL, Carolina, Nsh, and probably Dallas are better at this point.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
No. I’m talking value. JVR is a 1LW, Savard is a 4D.

Nashville just got much better, CBJ need to do something to have a chance at the playoffs.
JVR is a complimentary 1st line player a lot like Hartnell was. Hes 31 and on a terrible contract. That guy isnt leading a line and it pretty terrible use of assests. The goal of hockey is to score more than the other team, it doesnt need to be 5-4.
Trading Savard for a top 6, not top line winger like JVR destroys our defensive depth and doesnt add nearly enough up front to make it even remotely worthwhile

Reactions: thebus88 and Viqsi

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
JVR is a complimentary 1st line player a lot like Hartnell was. Hes 31 and on a terrible contract. That guy isnt leading a line and it pretty terrible use of assests. The goal of hockey is to score more than the other team, it doesnt need to be 5-4.
Trading Savard for a top 6, not top line winger like JVR destroys our defensive depth and doesnt add nearly enough up front to make it even remotely worthwhile
Who are you going to get that is better than JVR, for Savard?
Again I’m just saying JVR > Savard.

Does Savard really prevent that many goals though? Look at the playoffs, he was on the ice for the majority of goals against. He’s not the same player anymore.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Who are you going to get that is better than JVR, for Savard?

Again I’m just saying JVR > Savard.

Does Savard really prevent that many goals though? Look at the playoffs, he was on the ice for the majority of goals against. He’s not the same player anymore.
When you play against the other teams top players constantly you arent stopping them in a series you are just hoping to contain them as much as possible. You hugely overrate JVR and I have no idea why, grass is always greener I suppose. Its funny you mention playoffs as JVR was just scratched for multiple games.
I simply am not trading Savard for a forward as it makes 0 sense. Taking on a ton of cap and creating a hole in the lineup is just ridiculous

Reactions: thebus88

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
J
When you play against the other teams top players constantly you arent stopping them in a series you are just hoping to contain them as much as possible. You hugely overrate JVR and I have no idea why, grass is always greener I suppose. Its funny you mention playoffs as JVR was just scratched for multiple games.
I simply am not trading Savard for a forward as it makes 0 sense. Taking on a ton of cap and creating a hole in the lineup is just ridiculous
So Jones and Werenski were not playing against the top players then?
JVR would be 3rd on our team in scoring and would help the PP.

EDIT: @stevo61 you might be right. I though JVR made 5.85 and there was retention. That’s not right.

Last edited:

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
JVR would be 3rd on our team in scoring and would help the PP.

Really shows how challenged we could be offensively...

To me I would keep Savard. We're getting thinner with the dmen and IMO Savard is a very solid 2nd pairing guy.

Kellen

Apr 17, 2019
If we trade Savard for JVR I am done. No way should we even think of that. Maybe if we didn’t give away Murray and Nutivara away- would still be a bad trade - but at least I wouldn’t be worried about the back end.

CBJ goalie

May 19, 2005
London, Ontario
Haula and Granlund off the market....and I doubt we see Hoffman get signed here, so unless Jarmo is able to work something out with a cap-strapped team, who we have are the 20-21 CBJ team (once PLD is signed).

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
And that team is not good enough to make the playoffs, even with Nyquist.
...never mind the handy existence proof that they did it before, without Domi (who we may as well have gotten for free relatively speaking, given how little was provided by Andy last year) and with lots of key folks regularly injured. And in fact have done so for the last four years in a row.

Caution in predictions is one thing but this shit gets really f***ing old really f***ing fast.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
...never mind the handy existence proof that they did it before, without Domi (who we may as well have gotten for free relatively speaking, given how little was provided by Andy last year) and with lots of key folks regularly injured. And in fact have done so for the last four years in a row.

Caution in predictions is one thing but this shit gets really f***ing old really f***ing fast.

... in a harder division

... with a less mature roster

.... etc...

Hard to be edgy being positive Viqsi, maybe go for a gloomy look, way cooler.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad