Speculation: Offseason Thread III: ideas, proposals, general roster discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
Was there really any scoring to get?

Hall wouldn’t have signed here for 1 year - he was looking to play with someone like Eichel to put up stats if there was no long term huge contract. Hoffman is an odd duck, and he is still available. 3 x $5 million for Dadonov who will turn 32 this season - glad we didn’t do that. Duclair? That’s about if for scoring in the free agent market.

Don’t know what trades were really available. Plus we made one of the bigger trades that did happen, and we added scoring. There are lots of rumors, but I doubt we are getting Johnny Hockey or Laine for peanuts.

Offer sheets are fun to discuss but rarely happen. And we have PLD sitting there unsigned if we went that route.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Was there really any scoring to get?

Hall wouldn’t have signed here for 1 year - he was looking to play with someone like Eichel to put up stats if there was no long term huge contract. Hoffman is an odd duck, and he is still available. 3 x $5 million for Dadonov who will turn 32 this season - glad we didn’t do that. Duclair? That’s about if for scoring in the free agent market.

Don’t know what trades were really available. Plus we made one of the bigger trades that did happen, and we added scoring. There are lots of rumors, but I doubt we are getting Johnny Hockey or Laine for peanuts.

Offer sheets are fun to discuss but rarely happen. And we have PLD sitting there unsigned if we went that route.

I actually do miss Duclair. Sigh.

Remember all the moaning here a year ago about how the CBJ pissed away another soon-to-be great scorer in Duclair? Well he was just on the market for peanuts. He is an amazing talent and his defensive warts seem to be less and less of an issue, belated but perhaps thanks to Torts' work. Perhaps Jarmo asked Torts about a reunion and it was a short conversation. In another world I'd love to have him back and the first place I'd put him is next to Dubois and Bjorkstrand.

Edit: and yes there really wasn't a good UFA option for us. It's been hopes for trades all along and will be until the deadline.

Last edited:

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
I actually do miss Duclair. Sigh.

Remember all the moaning here a year ago about how the CBJ pissed away another soon-t0-be great scorer in Duclair? Well he was just on the market for peanuts. He is an amazing talent and his defensive warts seem to be less and less of an issue, belated but perhaps thanks to Torts' work. Perhaps Jarmo asked Torts about a reunion and it was a short conversation. In another world I'd love to have him back and the first place I'd put him is next to Dubois and Bjorkstrand.

Edit: and yes there really wasn't a good UFA option for us. It's been hopes for trades all along and will be until the deadline.
He had a hot stretch on a team where he got prime minutes and fell off a cliff towards the end. Not personally very sad about it

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Some of our convos got cut off.

@JacketsDavid

Domi is type 1, but he's healthy and there isn't a concern. Diabetics are at risk for two reasons, 1) if they're unhealthy, which most type 2 diabetics are, and their blood sugar is volatile, and 2) because if they're incapacitated by drugs or illness they'll need help to make sure they get their insulin on schedule. So if Domi was incapacitated by covid, he'd need to be monitored, not a big deal. Source: half my family is type 1.

@EspenK , @CBJWennberg10

If there are, say, 4-5 players around the league sitting out, and this takes $20m off the books, then that by itself changes the prices on the market. Currently there is very very little spare cap/budget to go around. The Jackets own a good chunk of what's left. How many teams have enough to add a big salary and are actually inclined to get one? The Jackets are in a unique position to add a player from a team that is trying to cut salary, and I've surmised that many teams will be inclined to cut salary if their seasons go poorly. That unique position disappears if several clubs have big salary coming off the books as players sit out. This is of course hypothetical, perhaps no or next to no players will sit.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
By subtracting Anderson and Wennberg and inserting Domi and a cardboard cutout of David Vyborny, the scoring has improved.
Foudy could easily score more than Anderson and Wennberg did last season. The question is how many more goals against will he be on the ice for.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
I suspect we'll see a lot more activity this week. There is competing events with players that want to find a place to land and teams that need to get either CAP compliant or internal cap compliant. Both sides run the risk of being left with worse options the longer it goes. Personally, I would prefer CBJ go the route of pulling in someone from another team and adding another asset in the form or pick or prospect. It could get very rich for some teams. My overall preference would still be to find a team that may need to move a true high end player (I still think WPG is strapped and will need to move a contract for internal reasons - Ehlers or Laine would be a great get even though it will cost a bit. They are high end players as opposed to another middle 6 guy who can reasonable score but is more of the same.)

Any move with a team like Tampa (for example) needs to come with a serious prospect. Something like Palat and Foote or Volkov for Stenlund and a 7th. That would clear space but hurt and CBJ picks up a useful player in Palat (yes more of the same short term) and a high end RD or top 6 wing. Just a thought to illustrate what I would love to see happen.

Old Guy

Just waitin' on my medication.
Aug 30, 2015
I don’t know where to put this. And it might have been covered elsewhere. But when I saw this, I just about choked on my Sunday beverage.

The Director of Amateur Scouting for the Seattle Kraken is ........... wait for it .......

Robert Kron.

This just seems incredibly ironic to me based upon the talent I saw the guy display during the early years of the Blue Jackets.

I hope he does for that expansion franchise ....... naaaaaa ....... never mind ..... I’ll just leave the rest unsaid.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
I don’t know where to put this. And it might have been covered elsewhere. But when I saw this, I just about choked on my Sunday beverage.

The Director of Amateur Scouting for the Seattle Kraken is ........... wait for it .......

Robert Kron.

This just seems incredibly ironic to me based upon the talent I saw the guy display during the early years of the Blue Jackets.

I hope he does for that expansion franchise ....... naaaaaa ....... never mind ..... I’ll just leave the rest unsaid.

771 games - 144 goals - 194 assists

55 games - 5 goals - 8 assists

One NHL career stat line is Seattle’s Director of Amateur Scouting.

The other is the Blue Jackets’ General Manager.

Reactions: majormajor

cslebn

80 forever
Feb 15, 2012
I'm not going to claim to know anything about French hockey but how crazy do they have to be playing for a guy to take himself out of the game because he's afraid of getting hurt? Do they just play like a bunch of goons out there taking runs at people?

If it's anything like my beer league.....

I imagine guys take runs and stick players like Tex a lot knowing he's an NHLer

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
I don't love the re-done divisions. Dallas is farther West than both St. Louis and Minnesota. It's stupid.

The league also loses out on 8 CBJ/MN games in celebration of their 20th years.

The division-only games seems...odd. Especially if they aren't doing bubbles. What's the difference in traveling to Detroit vs traveling to Pittsburgh? I get the Canada-division probably drove that decision. It just seems weird.

Anyway...hockey soon!

Reactions: majormajor and Fro

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I don't love the re-done divisions. Dallas is farther West than both St. Louis and Minnesota. It's stupid.

The division-only games seems...odd. Especially if they aren't doing bubbles. What's the difference in traveling to Detroit vs traveling to Pittsburgh? I get the Canada-division probably drove that decision. It just seems weird.

Anyway...hockey soon!

You are such a romantic :sarcasm:. The only thing worse than watching 8 CBJ-Wild games would be 8 CBJ-Devils games. Both have historically been snoozefests.

And Detroit gives an opportunity for 16 points; Pittsburgh does not.

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
There’s a word Kucherov might be out for a long period of time. Makes the new division even more favorable for the CBJ.

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
You are such a romantic :sarcasm:. The only thing worse than watching 8 CBJ-Wild games would be 8 CBJ-Devils games. Both have historically been snoozefests.

And Detroit gives an opportunity for 16 points; Pittsburgh does not.
The Wild are so boring that I honestly can’t recall a time I watched their game unless they played Columbus

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus

Agreed on the STL/MIN/DAL thing. Confusing.

This bit about division-only is confusing too. The only thing I can think is to limit the total number of contacts?

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014

This bit about division-only is confusing too. The only thing I can think is to limit the total number of contacts?

Yeah, 2020 is weird.

I know Dallas has, for a long time, complained about all the travel to Pacific time. But...that logic also applies to Minnesota and St. Louis? There's no good answer there, sure. A couple teams were going to face more travel than others, especially those in the Central time zone. So I wonder if Dallas put in a complaint and St. Louis obliged?

Maybe doing division-only will make back-to-backs easier? Like...let's just host Detroit two days in a row and get it over with? But yeah, if they're not doing bubbles or pods, I don't understand why there wouldn't be some inter-divisional games. But I think the Canada-only division and travel restrictions probably drove that decision.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

Anyway...hockey soon!

They really prize consistency, I think more than they should. If one division has to do it, they all have to do it.

If it was up to me I wouldn't care if divisions had separate ways of doing things. I also wouldn't try making a full year schedule at this juncture. The virus and it's restrictions will be very different month to month.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

It's baffling to me. Dallas has less chemistry with the Central teams than St. Louis, and St. Louis is closer than Dallas to every Central team. Have they ever offered an explanation?

Reactions: DarkandStormy

cslebn

80 forever
Feb 15, 2012
I round have traded buffalo and pit for Fla and Tampa honestly if it was really based on travel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad