Speculation: Offseason Thread III: ideas, proposals, general roster discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Not to get into another Porty argument, but if he said:

“Negotiations are fine with PLD. His camp is waiting to see what Barzal gets. Barzal is waiting to see what PLD gets. Both will be signed and in camp, but not until right before camp starts. Because this is how the game is played.”

that doesn’t get him many clicks and people won’t be waiting for his next update. So he adds some drama. And people are waiting to see what Porty says next.

I mean, yes, the article is very click-baity, I won't disagree there.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
I don't recall him ever bringing it up and Barzal's name certainly isn't mentioned in the latest article.

The PLD - Barzal thing is what I think is going on and what I have seen plenty of others speculate. I don’t get why anyone is worried about the PLD situation. Back before the NFL had defined salaries for draft choices you would always see 2 or 3 guys drafted near each other in the early first round waiting until for the other one to sign to use his salary for a comp. You aren’t a very good agent if you don’t do such a thing. It is plausible, boring speculation that would draw him no clicks.

But no, it seems that Porty has written something saying there is really nothing new to report and PLD will be signed by camp, but he implies there is drama and some threats from the CBJ.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
The PLD - Barzal thing is what I think is going on and what I have seen plenty of others speculate. I don’t get why anyone is worried about the PLD situation. Back before the NFL had defined salaries for draft choices you would always see 2 or 3 guys drafted near each other in the early first round waiting until for the other one to sign to use his salary for a comp. You aren’t a very good agent if you don’t do such a thing. It is plausible, boring speculation that would draw him no clicks.

But no, it seems that Porty has written something saying there is really nothing new to report and PLD will be signed by camp, but he implies there is drama and some threats from the CBJ.
Well the article was 5 questions leading to the start of training camp and the first question was "Will PLD be there?" The article raises no panic but simply talks about what could happen if he isn't. Who gets a shot at top 6 minutes? How will Jarmo and Torts treat someone who holds out based on their history, etc. He's been in town skating for weeks so it's not like there is any delay on getting him on the ice once a deal is signed like there would be in the Winnipeg/Roslovic situation.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
I don’t really care about his articles. I don’t know why people argue that others should appreciate him. Or rush here to post a quote from something he wrote. I come to this board because I think it is a decent source of information. I don’t subscribe to the athletic because I see no value in it. I don’t get a Twitter account follow him on Twitter because I don’t see the point.

Let me be very clear. I think you are a good poster. I think visqi is a good poster. I think major major is a good poster. I find what you guys post far more interesting than anything porty writes. Except, of course, when you post a Porty quote.

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
According to the AHL site, they are still going with a Feb 5 start date. No real details on how they are going to do it.
I find what you guys post far more interesting than anything porty writes.
I agree. I have learned quite a bit from the posters here.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
None of us actually know anything. We just get all of our information from the internet. We are like the Qanon followers of hockey.

Yes, that's true for most people though, scientists and journalists too. Info is on the internet in written accounts and stat databases. What matters is whether you cull off sources of info that turn out to be not 100% reliable, or whether you cling to sources of info that just tell you what you want to hear. You end up with very different sources depending on which route you take.

Reactions: Viqsi and thebus88

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Allegedly 20 teams reached out to him...he chose Washington

Of course that means 11 didn't. Either way, Washington is an interesting choice. Sounds like his family is staying in Boston so I'm sure he wanted to stay close. They are probably his best chance for one last run at a cup if their goaltending can hold up. They still need to replace Lundqvist with a capable backup since they only have Samsonov on the roster right now.

Reactions: Sabo0290 and cslebn

cslebn

80 forever
Feb 15, 2012

Of course that means 11 didn't. Either way, Washington is an interesting choice. Sounds like his family is staying in Boston so I'm sure he wanted to stay close. They are probably his best chance for one last run at a cup if their goaltending can hold up. They still need to replace Lundqvist with a capable backup since they only have Samsonov on the roster right now.

They have Anderson on PTO and another kids that needs a look at goalie.

Nice squirrelly Dan gif

Finner

Dec 8, 2018
Im not giving a flying f*ck about Chara. Im giving f*cks about our team. Im not happy for what Jarmo has done in this break. Murray and Nuti for nothing. Gus injury (well thats not Jarmos fault).PLD still without contract Domi trade was great but i was hoping bigger moves. Okay he was trying to sign Hoffman but he landed elsewhere. Theres still time but i think we still need more scoring ability.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Yes, that's true for most people though, scientists and journalists too. Info is on the internet in written accounts and stat databases. What matters is whether you cull off sources of info that turn out to be not 100% reliable, or whether you cling to sources of info that just tell you what you want to hear. You end up with very different sources depending on which route you take.
And since the Blue Jackets get so little national coverage we get most of our information from the local writers that nobody seem to like very much.

GeorgeReznik1

Dec 21, 2020
Please tell me more about how this hard line approach is normal and we don’t spoil relationships with our players. Such a f***ing joke.

Kinda weird how PLD himself said he's been in Columbus doing morning skates. But you'll buy into anything negative towards the franchise.

Reactions: thebus88

GeorgeReznik1

Dec 21, 2020
Also feel free to have open season on Portzline now for peddling the “all sides point to him being in camp on time” bull shit if this holdout comes true. He painted a pretty picture and it looks like it’s the complete opposite.

Do we get open season on you when it turns out PLD has been in Columbus and with teammates this whole time, unlike what Lebrun says ?

cslebn

80 forever
Feb 15, 2012
Brilliant negotiating by Brisson on that one.

Eql7_ICW8AAln5V

2022 is going to be wild. Jarmo appears to have no long term plans (yet) besides "Cam & some Russians."

I'm really curious to see what happens with Grigs this year. I feel like he's being underestimated.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
This has gotten overlooked this afternoon but VV is staying in Finland. Kivlienieks is definitely #3. Not sure who else will be playing in Cleveland on the organizational depth chart.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad